Comparison of charged derivatives for high energy collision-induced dissociation tandem mass spectrometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fixed-charge derivatives have been used to direct the fragmentation pattern of high energy collision-induced dissociation tandem mass spectra for several years. It has been noted that a fixed-charge placed at a terminus of a peptide will simplify the pattern of fragment ions that are produced in collision-induced dissociation. Trimethylammoniumacetyl, dimethyloctylammoniumacetyl, and triphenylphosphoniumethyl derivatives have been cited in the literature for this purpose and many other structures are possible. This work compares the cited derivatives as well as some new structures. The criteria used include the ease of synthesis and purification of the derivatized peptide and the effects of the derivative on the peptide sequence fragment ion yield and ionization efficiency. The trimethylammoniumacetyl derivative is concluded to be the most practical for general use, whereas the dimethyloctylammoniumacetyl derivative is found to be desirable for use with hydrophilic peptides.
- Johnson, R. S., Martin, S. A., Biemann, K. (1988) Inf. J. Mnss Syectrom. Ion Processes 86: pp. 137-154 CrossRef
- Vath, J. E., Biemann, K. (1990) Int. J. Mnss. Spectrom. Ion Processes 100: pp. 287-299 CrossRef
- Tomer, K. B., Crow, F. W., Gross, M. L. (1983) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 705: pp. 5487-5488 CrossRef
- Adams, J. (1990) Mass Spcctrom. Rev. 9: pp. 141-186 CrossRef
- Johnson, R. S., Martin, S. A., Biemann, K., Stults, J. T., Watson, J. T. (1987) Anal. Chem. 59: pp. 2621-2625 CrossRef
- Zaia, J. Ph.D. dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1993.
- Wetzel, R., Halualani, R., Stults, J. T., Quan, C. (1990) Bioconj. Chem. 2: pp. 114-122 CrossRef
- Stults, J. T. Proceedings of the 40th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics; 1992, pp. 1815–1816.
- Kidwell, D. A., Ross, M. M., Colton, R. J. (1984) J. Am. Chem. Sot. 106: pp. 2219-2220 CrossRef
- Wagner, D. S., Salari, A., Gage, D. A., Leykam, J., Fetter, J., Hollingsworth, R., Watson, J. T. (1991) Biol. Mass Spectrom. 20: pp. 419-425 CrossRef
- Stults, J. T., Lai, J., McCune, S., Wetzel, R. (1993) Anal. Chem. 65: pp. 1703-1708 CrossRef
- O’Leary, M. H., Samberg, G. A. (1971) J. Am. Chem. Sot. 93: pp. 3530-3532 CrossRef
- Sato, K., Asada, R., Ishihara, M., Kunihiro, F., Kammei, Y., Kubota, E., Costello, C. E., Martin, S. A., Scoble, H., Biemann, K. (1987) Anal. Chem. 59: pp. 1652-1659 CrossRef
- Zaia, J.; Biemann, K. Proceedings of the 4Zsf ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics; 1993, pp. 358a–358b.
- Downard, K. M., Biemann, K. J. (1993) Am. Sot. Mass Spectrom. 4: pp. 874-881 CrossRef
- Comparison of charged derivatives for high energy collision-induced dissociation tandem mass spectrometry
Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 428-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors