Simulations of weld pool dynamics in V-groove GTA and GMA welding
- Dae-Won ChoAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, KAIST
- , Suck-Joo NaAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, KAIST Email author
- , Min-Hyun ChoAffiliated withTechnical Research Laboratories, POSCO
- , Jong-Sub LeeAffiliated withTechnical Research Laboratories, POSCO
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many simulation models use an axisymmetric arc model for heat flux, arc pressure, and electromagnetic force. In V-groove welding, however, an elliptically symmetric arc model is more acceptable than an axisymmetric model. An elliptically symmetric arc model can be established by applying the Abel inversion method to CCD images of welding arc on V-groove.
This study uses an elliptically symmetric arc model for CFD based simulations of fluid flow behavior in weld pool of GMA V-groove welding. It recommends a new method of calculating the electromagnetic force distribution in V-groove welding.
A volume of fluid method is used to describe the molten pool flow in numerical simulations.
Keywords (IIW Thesaurus)Arc welding Electromagnetic fields Simulating
- Simulations of weld pool dynamics in V-groove GTA and GMA welding
Welding in the World
Volume 57, Issue 2 , pp 223-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Arc welding
- Electromagnetic fields
- Industry Sectors