Simulations of weld pool dynamics in V-groove GTA and GMA welding
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Many simulation models use an axisymmetric arc model for heat flux, arc pressure, and electromagnetic force. In V-groove welding, however, an elliptically symmetric arc model is more acceptable than an axisymmetric model. An elliptically symmetric arc model can be established by applying the Abel inversion method to CCD images of welding arc on V-groove.
This study uses an elliptically symmetric arc model for CFD based simulations of fluid flow behavior in weld pool of GMA V-groove welding. It recommends a new method of calculating the electromagnetic force distribution in V-groove welding.
A volume of fluid method is used to describe the molten pool flow in numerical simulations.
- Cho DW, Na SJ, Lee MY (2009) Expectation of bead shape using non-linear multiple regression and piecewise cubic hermite interpolation in FCA fillet pipe welding. J KWJS 27(5):42–48, in Korean
- Cho DW, Na SJ, Cho MH, Lee MY (2011) A study on molten pool flow for various welding positions of V-groove GMA pipe welding, IIW conference, Istanbul
- Zhang W, Kim CH, DebRoy T (2004) Heat and fluid flow in complex joints during gas metal arc welding part II. J Appl Phys 95(9):5220–5229 CrossRef
- Hu J, Tsai HL (2008) Modeling of transport phenomena in 3D GMAW of thick metals with V groove. J Phys D Appl Phys 41(6):065202 CrossRef
- Cho YT, Na SJ (2005) Application of Abel inversion in real-time calculations for circularly and elliptically symmetric radiation sources. Meas Sci Technol 16(3):878–884 CrossRef
- Cho WI, Na SJ, Cho MH, Lee JS (2010) Numerical study of alloying element distribution in CO2 laser–GMA hybrid welding. Comput Mater Sci 49(4):792–800 CrossRef
- Cho JH, Na SJ (2009) Three-dimensional analysis of molten pool in GMA-laser hybrid welding. Weld J 88(2):35s–43s
- Cho MH, Lim YC, Farson DF (2006) Simulation of weld pool dynamics in the stationary pulsed gas metal arc welding process and final weld shape. Weld J 85(12):271s–283s
- Dupont JN, Marder AR (1995) Thermal efficiency of arc welding processes. Weld J 74(12):406s–416s
- Reddy AA, Guha B, Achar DRG (2002) Finite Element modeling of three-dimensional transient heat transfer in stainless steel (304) pulsed GTA weldments. Numer Heat Tran Part A 41(1):41–46 CrossRef
- Lin ML, Eagar TW (1986) Pressures produced by gas tungsten arcs. Metall Mater Trans B 17(3):601–607 CrossRef
- Simulations of weld pool dynamics in V-groove GTA and GMA welding
Welding in the World
Volume 57, Issue 2 , pp 223-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Arc welding
- Electromagnetic fields