A Practical Guide to Outpatient Wet Dressings for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Pediatric atopic dermatitis (AD) is one of the most common skin disorders in children. AD affects all aspects of a child’s well being and impacts the child’s family as well. For treatment of atopic dermatitis, the application of topical corticosteroids under occlusion via wet dressings is a safe and effective treatment. However, wet dressings may be underutilized due to lack of familiarity with the technique. This article aims to supply providers with a practical guide to the use of wet dressings in the outpatient setting.
- Leung, DYM, Bieber, T (2003) Atopic dermatitis. Lancet 361: pp. 151-60 CrossRef
- Schultz-Larsen, F, Hanifin, JM (2002) Epidemiology of atopic dermatitis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 22: pp. 1-24 CrossRef
- Chamlin, SL (2006) The psychosocial burden of childhood atopic dermatitis. Dermatol Ther 19: pp. 104-7 CrossRef
- Dabade, TS, Davis, DMR, Wetter, DA (2012) Wet dressing therapy in conjunction with topical corticosteroids is effective for rapid control of severe pediatric atopic dermatitis: experience with 218 patients over 30 years at Mayo Clinic. J Am Acad Dermatol 67: pp. 100-6 CrossRef
- Callen, J, Chamlin, S, Eichenfeld, LF (2007) A systematic review of the safety of topical therapies for atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol 156: pp. 203-21 CrossRef
- Heller MM, Lee ES, Kamangar F, et al. Occlusive therapy in atopic dermatitis. In: Atopic Dermatitis – Disease etiology and Clinical Management. Edited by Esparza-Gordillo J. Rijeka: InTech; 2012:269–88.
- Storan ER, McEvoy MT, Wetter DA, et al. Pediatric hospital dermatology: experience with inpatient and consult services at the Mayo Clinic. Pediatr Dermatol 2013;30(4):433–437.
- Pei, AY, Chan, HH, Ho, KM (2001) The effectiveness of wet wrap dressings using 0.1% mometasone furoate an 0.005% fluticasone proprionate ointments in the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in children. Pediatr Dermatol 18: pp. 343-8 CrossRef
- A Practical Guide to Outpatient Wet Dressings for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Current Dermatology Reports
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 212-215
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Pediatric dermatology
- Atopic dermatitis
- Wet dressings