Challenges in Measuring the Sequencing of Life Events Among Adolescents in Malawi: A Cautionary Note
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using data from two rounds of the Malawi Schooling and Adolescent Survey, this research note examines consistency of retrospective reporting on the timing and sequencing of sexual initiation, school leaving, and marriage. The analysis, which compares reporting of events both within and between rounds, indicates substantial inconsistency in reporting of event sequences and highlights difficulties in measuring transitions to adulthood in sub-Saharan Africa with survey data.
- Biddlecom, A., Gregory, R., Mensch, B. S., & Lloyd, C. B. (2008). Associations between premarital sex and leaving school in four sub-Saharan African countries. Studies in Family Planning, 39, 337–350. CrossRef
- Gregson, S., Todd, J., & Zaba, B. (2009). Sexual behaviour change in countries with generalised HIV epidemics? Evidence from population-based cohort studies in sub-Saharan Africa. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 85(Suppl. 1), i1–ii2. CrossRef
- Hewett, P. C., Mensch, B. S., Ribeiro, M. C. S. de A., Jones, H. E., Lippman, S. A., Montgomery, M. R., & van de Wijgert, J. H. (2008). Using sexually transmitted infection biomarkers to validate reporting of sexual behavior within a randomized, experimental evaluation of interviewing methods. American Journal of Epidemiology, 168, 202–211.
- Hewett, P. C., Mensch, B. S., & Erulkar, A. S. (2004). Consistency in the reporting of sexual behaviour by adolescent girls in Kenya: A comparison of interviewing methods. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 80(Suppl. 2), ii43–i48.
- Langhaug, L. F., Cheung, Y. B., Pascoe, S. J. S., Petronella, C., Woelk, G., Hayes, R. J., & Cowan, F. M. (2011). How you ask really matters: Randomised comparison of four sexual behaviour questionnaire delivery modes in Zimbabwean youth. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 87, 165–173. CrossRef
- Lindstrom, D. P., Belachew, T., Hadley, C., Hattori, M. K., Hogan, D., & Tessema, F. (2010). Nonmarital sex and condom knowledge among Ethiopian young people: Improved estimates using a nonverbal response card. Studies in Family Planning, 41, 251–262. CrossRef
- Lloyd, C. B., & Mensch, B. S. (2008). Marriage and childbirth as factors in dropping out from school: An analysis of DHS data from sub-Saharan Africa. Population Studies, 62, 1–13. CrossRef
- Lloyd, C. B., & Panel on Transitions to Adulthood in Developing Countries. (2005). Growing up global: The changing transitions to adulthood in developing countries. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Luke, N., Clark, S., & Zulu, E. M. (2011). The relationship history calendar: Improving the scope and quality of data on youth sexual behavior. Demography, 48, 1151–1176. CrossRef
- Marteleto, L., Lam, D., & Ranchhod, V. (2008). Sexual behavior, pregnancy, and schooling in urban South Africa. Studies in Family Planning, 39, 351–368. CrossRef
- Mensch, B. S., Hewett, P. C., & Erulkar, A. S. (2003). The reporting of sensitive behavior by adolescents: A methodological experiment in Kenya. Demography, 40, 247–268. CrossRef
- Mensch, B. S., Hewett, P. C., Gregory, R., & Helleringer, S. (2008). Sexual behavior and STI/HIV status among adolescents in rural Malawi: An evaluation of the effect of interview mode on reporting. Studies in Family Planning, 39, 321–334. CrossRef
- Minnis, A. M., Steiner, M. J., Gallo, M. F., Warner, L., Hobbs, M. M., van der Straten, A., . . . Padian, N. S. (2009). Biomarker validation of reports of recent sexual activity: Results of a randomized controlled study in Zimbabwe. American Journal of Epidemiology, 170, 918–924.
- Nnko, S., Boerma, J. T., Urassa, M., Mwaluko, G., & Zaba, B. (2004). Secretive females or swaggering males? An assessment of the quality of sexual partnership reporting in rural Tanzania. Social Science & Medicine, 59, 299–310. CrossRef
- Soler-Hampejsek, E., Grant, M. J., Mensch, B. S., Hewett, P. C., & Rankin, J. (2013). The effect of school status and academic skills on the reporting of premarital sexual behavior: Evidence from a longitudinal study in rural Malawi. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53, 228–234. CrossRef
- Challenges in Measuring the Sequencing of Life Events Among Adolescents in Malawi: A Cautionary Note
Volume 51, Issue 1 , pp 277-285
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Transitions to adulthood
- Longitudinal data
- Inconsistency of self-reports
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Population Council, One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, New York, NY, 10017, USA
- 2. Population Council, Lusaka, Zambia
- 3. Department of Sociology, University of Wisconsin–Madison, Madison, WI, USA