An ethical analysis of economic issues related to the appreciation of Renminbi
Since the outbreak of the global financial crisis in 2008, the exchange rate between China and USA has drawn a lot of attention. Because of the balance of payments surplus, China has accumulated a large amount of foreign exchange reserves, and there is much pressure on the Renminbi (RMB) to appreciate. The appreciation of RMB has raised a series of intertwining economic and ethical concerns in China. This paper is an inter-disciplinary study to illustrate the inter-relationship between economics and ethics. We analyze the major economic factors affecting the trend of exchange rate of RMB and the effects of its appreciation. We then discuss the ethical implications of the appreciation and conclude with some policy suggestions to address the economic and the ethical concerns.
- Fan, Gang. (2011). “China’s Shrinking Trade Surplus”, Project Syndicate, 2011-01-03.
- Mundell, R. (2010). 罗伯特·蒙代, 现阶段让人民币升值是大错特错 (Letting Renminbi appreciate in the present stage is a big mistake), IT Time Weekly, 2010-8-20.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2011). “Remarks for the China’s leadership”, China Development Research Foundation website, 2011-01-11. http://www.cdrf.org.ch.
- Wang, Q. (2010). 王 菁, 人民币升值利弊分析 (An analysis of the pros and cons of the appreciation of Renminbi), 现代商贸工业, 第9期.
- An ethical analysis of economic issues related to the appreciation of Renminbi
Asian Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 79-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Economic ethics
- Exchange rate