White Tail Disease of Freshwater Prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Macrobrachium rosenbergii is the most important cultured freshwater prawn in the world and it is now farmed on a large scale in many countries. Generally, freshwater prawn is considered to be tolerant to diseases but a disease of viral origin is responsible for severe mortalities in larval, post-larval and juvenile stages of prawn. This viral infection namely white tail disease (WTD) was reported in the island of Guadeloupe in 1995 and later in Martinique (FrenchWest Indies) in Taiwan, the People’s Republic of China, India, Thailand, Australia and Malaysia. Two viruses, Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus (MrNV) and extra small virus-like particle (XSV) have been identified as causative agents of WTD. MrNV is a small icosahedral non-enveloped particle, 26–27 nm in diameter, identified in the cytoplasm of connective cells. XSV is also an icosahedral virus and 15 nm in diameter. Clinical signs observed in the infected animals include lethargy, opaqueness of the abdominal muscle, degeneration of the telson and uropods, and up to 100 % within 4 days. The available diagnostic methods to detect WTD include RT-PCR, dot-blot hybridization, in situ hybridization and ELISA. In experimental infection, these viruses caused 100 % mortality in post-larvae but failed to cause mortality in adult prawns. The reported hosts for these viruses include marine shrimp, Artemia and aquatic insects. Experiments were carried out to determine the possibility of vertical transmission of MrNV and XSV in M. rosenbergii. The results indicate that WTD may be transferred from infected brooders to their offspring during spawning. Replication of MrNV and XSV was investigated in apparently healthy C6/36 Aedes albopictus and SSN-1 cell lines. The results revealed that C6/36 and SSN-1cells were susceptible to these viruses. No work has been carried out on control and prevention of WTD and dsRNA against protein B2 produced RNAi that was able to functionally prevent and reduce mortality in WTD-infected redclaw crayfish.
- Arcier JM, Herman F, Lightner DV, Redman R, Mari J, Bonami JR. A viral disease associated with mortalities in hatchery-reared post larvae of the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Dis Aquat Org. 1999;38:177–81. CrossRef
- Bonami JR, Shi Z, Qian D, Sri Widada J. White tail disease of the giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii: separation of the associated virions and characterization of MrNV as a new type of nodavirus. J Fish Dis. 2005;28:23–31. CrossRef
- Haridas Divya V, Pillai D, Manojkumar B, Mohanakumaran C, Nair PM. Sherief Optimisation of reverse transcriptase loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid detection of Macrobrachium rosenbergii noda virus and extra smallvirus in Macrobrachium rosenbergii. J Virol Methods. 2010;167:61–7. CrossRef
- Hayakijkosol O, Owens L. B2 or not B2: RNA interference reduces Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus replication in redclaw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus). Aquaculture. 2012;326–329:40–5. CrossRef
- Hernandez-Herrera RI, Chappe-Bonnichon V, Roch P, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR. Partial susceptibility of the SSN-1 fish cell line to a crustacean virus: a defective replication study. J Fish Dis. 2007;30:673–9. CrossRef
- Hsieh CY, Chuang PC, Chen LC, Tu C, Chien MS, Huang KC, Kao HF, Tung MC, Tsai SS. Infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV) infections in giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Aquaculture. 2006;258:73–9. CrossRef
- Iwamoto T, Mise K, Takeda A, Okinaka Y, Mori KI, Arimoto M, Okuno T, Nakai T. Characterization of striped jack nervous necrosis virus sub genomic RNA3 and biological activities of its encoded protein B2. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:2807–16. CrossRef
- Kanaujia DR, Mohanty AN, Tripathi SD. Growth and production of Indian river prawn Macrobrachium malcolmsonii (H. Milne Edwards) under pond conditions. Aquaculture. 1997;154:79–85. CrossRef
- Kutty MN, Herman F, Le Menn H. Culture of other prawn species. In: New MB, Valenti WC, editors. Freshwater prawn culture: the farming of Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Oxford: Blackwell Sci; 2000. p. 393–410. CrossRef
- New MB. Freshwater prawn farming: a review. Aquaculture. 1990;88:99–143. CrossRef
- Owens L, La Fauce K, Juntunen K, Hayakijkosol O, Zeng C. Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus disease (white tail disease) in Australia. Dis Aquat Org. 2009;85:175–80. CrossRef
- Pillai D, Bonami JR, Sri Widada J. Rapid detection of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV), the pathogenic agents of white tail disease of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (De Man), by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. J Fish Dis. 2006;29:275–83. CrossRef
- Qian D, Shi Z, Zhang S, Cao Z, Liu W, Li L. Extra small virus-like particles (XSV) and nodavirus associated with whitish muscle disease in the giant freshwater prawn. Macrobrachium rosenbergii. J Fish Dis. 2003;26:521–7. CrossRef
- Qian D, Liu W, Jianxiang W, Yu L. Preparation of monoclonal antibody against Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus and application of TAS-ELISA for virus diagnosis in post-larvae hatcheries in east China during 2000–2004. Aquaculture. 2006;261:1144–50. CrossRef
- Ravi M, Nazeer Basha A, Sarathi M, Rosa Idalia HH, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR. Studies on the occurrence of white tail disease (WTD) caused by MrNV and XSV in hatchery-reared post-larvae of Penaeus indicus and P. monodon. Aquaculture. 2009;292:117–120
- Romestand B, Bonami JR. A sandwich enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (S-ELISA) for detection of MrNV in the giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man). J Fish Dis. 2003;26:71–5. CrossRef
- Saedi Tayebeh A, Moeini H, Wen Tan S, Yusoff K, Hassan Daud M, Kua Chu B, Soon Tan G, Bhassu S. Detection and phylogenetic profiling of nodavirus associated with white tail disease in Malaysian Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man). Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:5785–90. CrossRef
- Sahoo PK, Shekhar MS, Abhilipsa D, Manickam D, Pillai RB, Sahul Hameed AS. Immunomodulatory effect of recombinant RNA-dependent RNA polymerase protein of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus in giant freshwater prawn M. rosenbergii. Aquacult Res 2011;1–11.
- Sahul Hameed AS, Xavier Charles M, Anilkumar M. Tolerance of Macrobrachium rosenbergii to white spot syndrome virus. Aquaculture. 2000;183:207–213.
- Sahul Hameed AS, Yoganandhan K, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR. Studies on the occurrence of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus and extra small virus-like particles associated with white tail disease of M. rosenbergii in India by RT-PCR detection. Aquaculture. 2004;238:127–33. CrossRef
- Sahul Hameed AS, Yoganandhan K, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR. Experimental transmission and tissue tropism of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus (MrNV) and its associated extra small virus (XSV). Dis Aquat Org. 2004;62:191–6. CrossRef
- Shekhar MS, Azad IS, Ravichandran P. Comparison of dot blot and PCR diagnostic techniques for detection of white spot syndrome virus in different tissues of Penaeus monodon. Aquaclture. 2006;261:1122–7. CrossRef
- Shekhar MS, Sahoo PK, Manickam D, Abhilipsa D. Cloning, expression and sequence analysis of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus genes: Indian isolate. Aquacult Res. 2011;42:1778–88. CrossRef
- Sri Widada J, Durand S, Cambournac I, Qian D, Shi Z, Dejonghe. Genome-based detection methods of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus, a pathogen of the giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii dot blot, in situ hybridization and RT-PCR. J Fish Dis. 2003;26:583–90.
- Sri Widada J, Bonami JR. Characteristics of the monocistronic genome of extra small virus, a virus-like particle associated with Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus: possible candidate for a new species of satellite virus. J Gen Virol. 2004;85:643–6. CrossRef
- Sudhakaran R, Yoganandhan K, Ishaq Ahmed VP, Sahul Hameed AS. Artemia as a possible vector for Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus (MrNV) and extra small virus transmission (XSV) to Macrobrachium rosenbergii post-larvae. Dis Aquat Org. 2006;70:161–6. CrossRef
- Sudhakaran R, Syed Musthaq S, Haribabu P, Mukherjee SC, Gopal C, Sahul Hameed AS. Experimental transmission of Macrobrachium rosenbergii noda virus (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV) in three species of marine shrimp (Penaeus indicus, Penaeus japonicus and Penaeus monodon). Aquaculture. 2006;257:136–41. CrossRef
- Sudhakaran R, Ishaq Ahmed VP, Haribabu P, Mukherjee SC, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR, et al. Experimental vertical transmission of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV) from brooders to progeny in Macrobrachium rosenbergii and Artemia. J Fish Dis. 2007;30:27–35. CrossRef
- Sudhakaran R, Parameswaran V, Sahul Hameed AS. In vitro replication of Macrobrachium rosenbergii noda virus (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV) in C6/36 cell line. J Virol Methods. 2007;146:112–8. CrossRef
- Sudhakaran R, Haribabu P, Rajesh Kumar S, Sarathi M, Ishaq Ahmed VP, Venkatesan C, Sahul Hameed AS. Natural aquatic insect carriers of Macrobrachium rosenbergii noda virus (MrNV) and extra small virus (XSV). Dis Aquat Org. 2008;79:141–5. CrossRef
- Tang KFJ, Pantoja CR, Redman RM, Lightner DV. Development if in situ hybridization and RT-PCR assay for the detection of a nodavirus (PvNV) that causes muscle necrosis in Penaeus vannamei. Dis Aquat Org. 2007;75:183–90. CrossRef
- Tripathy S, Sahoo PK, Kumari J, Mishra BK, Sarangi N, Ayyappan S. Multiplex RT-PCR detection and sequence comparison of viruses MrNV and XSV associated with white tail disease in Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Aquaculture. 2006;258:134–9. CrossRef
- Vijayan KK, Stalin Raj V, Alavandi SV, Thillai Sekhar V, Santiago TC. Incidence of white muscle disease, a viral like disease associated with mortalities in hatchery-reared post larvae of the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (De Man) from the South-east coast of India. Aquacult Res. 2005;36:311–6. CrossRef
- Wang CS, Chang JS. RT-PCR amplification and sequence analysis of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus and extra small virus (XSV) associated with white tail disease of M. rosenbergii (de Man) cultured in Taiwan. GenBank Direct Submission (2006).
- Wang G, Qianhong S. Culture of freshwater prawns in China. Aquaculture Asia. 1999;4:14–7.
- Yoganandhan K, Sri Widada J, Bonami JR, Sahul Hameed AS. Simultaneous detection of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus and extra small virus by a single tube, one-step multiplex RT-PCR assay. J Fish Dis. 2005;28:65–9. CrossRef
- Yoganandhan K, Leartvibhan M, Sriwongpuk S, Limsuwan C. White tail disease of the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii in Thailand. Dis Aquat Org. 2006;69:255–8. CrossRef
- Zhang H, Wang J, Yuan J, Li L, Zhang J, Bonami JR. Quantitative relationship of two viruses (MrNV and XSV) in white-tail disease of Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Dis Aquat Org. 2006;71:11–7. CrossRef
- White Tail Disease of Freshwater Prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii
Indian Journal of Virology
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 134-140
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. OIE Reference Laboratory for WTD, Department of Zoology, C. Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam, Vellore, 632 509, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2. Pathogens and Environment, UMR 5119, EcoLag cc 093, CNRS/UM2, Place E. Bataillon, 34095, Montpellier Cedex 5, France