Does cord clamp affect the proper positioning of breastfeeding?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine the appropriateness of breastfeeding position as assessed by 4-point standard objective criteria in the presence of commercial plastic cord clamp. 50 babies each with and without cord clamp were selected randomly in post natal ward. Mean gestational age in both the periods was comparable (39±1.13 and 39±1.34 weeks). On evaluation by the standard 4 points of proper positioning, babies with cord clamp failed to keep their head and body straight (66% vs 94%, P=0.001), keep their baby’s body touching mothers abdomen (16% vs 94% P=0.000), and body well supported (72% vs 96%, P=0.002). However, both groups were appropriately able to turn baby’s body towards mother and nose opposite the nipple (98% vs 88%, P=0.112). On evaluation of mother’s satisfaction score, there was no significant difference except in the mother’s concern about care of cord clamp (P<0.001).
- Dewey KG, Heinig MJ, Nommsen LA, Peerson JM, Lonnerdal B. Growth of breast-fed and formula-fed infants from 0–18 months: the DARLING study. Pediatrics. 1992;89:1035–1040.
- Florey CDV, Leech AM, Blackhall A. Infant feeding and mental and motor development at 18 months of age in first born singletons. Int J Epidemol. 1995;2:S21–S26. CrossRef
- Rasheed S, Siddiqui I, Baig LA. Decline in breast feeding, who is to be blamed? ! ! A study of knowledge, attitude and practice of breast feeding amongst nurses. Pak Med Assoc. 2000;50:108–111.
- Chye JK, Lim CT. Breastfeeding at 6 months and effects on infection. Singapore Med J. 1998;39:551–556.
- Hoyer S, Horvat L. Successful breast-feeding as a result of a health education programme for mother. J Adv Nurs. 2000;32:1158–1167. CrossRef
- Langer A, Campero L, Garcia C, Reynoso S. Effects of psychosocial support during labour and childbirth on breastfeeding, medical interventions, and mothers’ wellbeing in a Mexican public hospital: a randomised clinical trial. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998;105:1056–1063. CrossRef
- Woolridge MW. The’ anatomy’ of infant sucking. Midwifery. 1986;2:164–171. CrossRef
- Law SM, Dunn OM, Wallace LM, Inch SA. Breastfeeding Best Start study: Training midwives in hands off positioning and attachment intervention. Mat Child Nutr. 2007; 3:194–205. CrossRef
- Does cord clamp affect the proper positioning of breastfeeding?
Volume 50, Issue 3 , pp 321-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cord clamp