Clinical profile of drug resistant tuberculosis in children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This Cross-sectional observational study was conducted to determine the clinical profile of drug-resistant tuberculosis in children. Patients were classified as monoresistant TB, polyresistant TB, multidrug resistant (MDR)-TB and extensively drug resistant (XDR — TB). We coined a term called as Partial XDR-TB when isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis were confirmed to be resistant in vitro to be MDR along with either a fluoroquinolone or an aminoglycoside resistance (apart from streptomycin). Of 500 children analysed, 34 (6.8%) had drug resistant TB. Mean age of presentation was 6.8±3.2 years (Male: Female ratio 13:21). 18 (52.9%) children had been treated for tuberculosis in the past (1 defaulted), 7 patients had been in contact with an adult suffering from drug resistant TB and 3 patients (10.3%) were HIV co-infected. Fourteen children (41.2 %) had MDR TB, 11 (32.4 %) had Partial XDR, 1 each (2.9 %) had polyresistant TB and XDR TB. Clinical features of DR-TB are similar in all age groups. Past history of TB with treatment with antitubercular agents, and contact with adults suffering with drug-resistant TB are important risk factors in development of drug-resistant -TB in children.
- TB India 2010: RNTCP Status report. Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi — 110001. Available from: http://www.tbcindia.org. Accessed on 24 November, 2010.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Anti-Tuberculosis Drug Resistance in the World. Fourth ‘Global Report. Available at URL: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2008/drs_report4_26feb08.pdf. Accessed on 31 December, 2011.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis — 2006. Available at URL: http://www.tbrieder.org/publications/books_english/who_treatment_mdr.pdf. Accessed on 31December, 2011.
- Shah, I., Rahangdale, A. (2011) Partial extensively drug resistance (XDR) tuberculosis in children. Indian Pediatr. 48: pp. 977-978
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidance on providerinitiated HIV testing and counselling in health facilities. Available at URL: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/vct/pitc/en/index.html. Accessed on 16February, 2012
- Schaaf, H.S. (2007) Drug-resistant tuberculosis in children. S Afr Med J 97: pp. 995-997
- Alrajhi, A.A., Abdulwahab, S., Almodovar, E., Al-Abdely, H.M. (2002) Risk factors for drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 23: pp. 305-310
- Gordin, F.M., Nelson, E.T., Matts, J.P., Cohn, D.L., Ernst, J., Benator, D. (1996) The impact of human immunodeficiency virus infection on drug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 154: pp. 1478-1483
- A joint statement by the Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR Recomm Rep. 45: pp. 1-18
- Sharma, S.K., Turaga, K.K., Balamurugan, A., Saha, P.K., Pandey, R.M., Jain, N.K. (2003) Clinical and genetic risk factors for the development of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in non-HIV infected patients at a tertiary care center in India: a case-control study. Infect Genet Evol 3: pp. 183-188 CrossRef
- Espinal, M.A., Laserson, K., Camacho, M., Fusheng, Z., Kim, S.J., Tlali, R.E. (2001) Determinants of drug-resistant tuberculosis: analysis of 11 countries. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5: pp. 887-893
- Snider, D.E., Kelly, G.D., Cauthen, G.M., Thompson, N.J., Kilburn, J.O. (1985) Infection and disease among contacts of tuberculosis cases with drug-resistant and drug-susceptible bacilli. Am Rev Respir Dis 132: pp. 125-132
- Schaaf, H.S., Vermeulen, H.A., Gie, R.P., Beyers, N., Donald, P.R. (1999) Evaluation of young children in household contact with adult multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis cases. Pediatr Infect Dis J 18: pp. 494-500 CrossRef
- Clinical profile of drug resistant tuberculosis in children
Volume 49, Issue 9 , pp 741-744
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Drug resistant tuberculosis