Clinical profile of drug resistant tuberculosis in children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This Cross-sectional observational study was conducted to determine the clinical profile of drug-resistant tuberculosis in children. Patients were classified as monoresistant TB, polyresistant TB, multidrug resistant (MDR)-TB and extensively drug resistant (XDR — TB). We coined a term called as Partial XDR-TB when isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis were confirmed to be resistant in vitro to be MDR along with either a fluoroquinolone or an aminoglycoside resistance (apart from streptomycin). Of 500 children analysed, 34 (6.8%) had drug resistant TB. Mean age of presentation was 6.8±3.2 years (Male: Female ratio 13:21). 18 (52.9%) children had been treated for tuberculosis in the past (1 defaulted), 7 patients had been in contact with an adult suffering from drug resistant TB and 3 patients (10.3%) were HIV co-infected. Fourteen children (41.2 %) had MDR TB, 11 (32.4 %) had Partial XDR, 1 each (2.9 %) had polyresistant TB and XDR TB. Clinical features of DR-TB are similar in all age groups. Past history of TB with treatment with antitubercular agents, and contact with adults suffering with drug-resistant TB are important risk factors in development of drug-resistant -TB in children.
- TB India 2010: RNTCP Status report. Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi — 110001. Available from: http://www.tbcindia.org. Accessed on 24 November, 2010.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Anti-Tuberculosis Drug Resistance in the World. Fourth ‘Global Report. Available at URL: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2008/drs_report4_26feb08.pdf. Accessed on 31 December, 2011.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis — 2006. Available at URL: http://www.tbrieder.org/publications/books_english/who_treatment_mdr.pdf. Accessed on 31December, 2011.
- Shah I, Rahangdale A. Partial extensively drug resistance (XDR) tuberculosis in children. Indian Pediatr. 2011; 48:977–978.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidance on providerinitiated HIV testing and counselling in health facilities. Available at URL: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/vct/pitc/en/index.html. Accessed on 16February, 2012
- Schaaf HS. Drug-resistant tuberculosis in children. S Afr Med J. 2007;97:995–997.
- Alrajhi AA, Abdulwahab S, Almodovar E, Al-Abdely HM. Risk factors for drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2002;23:305–310.
- Gordin FM, Nelson ET, Matts JP, Cohn DL, Ernst J, Benator D, et al. The impact of human immunodeficiency virus infection on drug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996;154:1478–1483.
- The role of BCG vaccine in the prevention and control of tuberculosis in the United States. A joint statement by the Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR Recomm Rep. 1996;45:1–18.
- Sharma SK, Turaga KK, Balamurugan A, Saha PK, Pandey RM, Jain NK, et al. Clinical and genetic risk factors for the development of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in non-HIV infected patients at a tertiary care center in India: a case-control study. Infect Genet Evol. 2003;3:183–188. CrossRef
- Espinal MA, Laserson K, Camacho M, Fusheng Z, Kim SJ, Tlali RE, et al. Determinants of drug-resistant tuberculosis: analysis of 11 countries. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2001;5:887–893.
- Snider DE Jr, Kelly GD, Cauthen GM, Thompson NJ, Kilburn JO. Infection and disease among contacts of tuberculosis cases with drug-resistant and drug-susceptible bacilli. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1985;132:125–132.
- Schaaf HS, Vermeulen HA, Gie RP, Beyers N, Donald PR. Evaluation of young children in household contact with adult multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis cases. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999;18:494–500. CrossRef
- Clinical profile of drug resistant tuberculosis in children
Volume 49, Issue 9 , pp 741-744
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Drug resistant tuberculosis