A Comparative Study of Oxytocin/Misoprostol/Methylergometrine for Active Management of the Third Stage of Labor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To study oxytocin, misoprostol, and methylergometrine in active management of the third stage of labor and determine duration of the third stage of labor, blood loss, adverse effects, and need for additional uterotonics in each group.
Clinical trial of 300 women with healthy singleton pregnancy allocated into three groups to receive either: 10 IU intravenous oxytocin infusion, 600 μg sublingual misoprostol, or 200 μg intravenous methylergometrine. Primary outcome measure was blood loss in the third stage of labor; secondary measures were duration of the third stage, side effects, and complications.
Subjects who received 600 μg of misoprostol had the least blood loss, followed by oxytocin, and methylergometrine. The shortest mean duration of the third stage was with misoprostol. Shivering and pyrexia were observed in misoprostol group, and raised blood pressure in methylergometrine group.
Misoprostol is as effective as oxytocin and both are more effective than methylergometrine in active management of the third stage of labor.
- Kaul, V, Bagga, R, Jain, V (2006) The impact of primary postpartum hemorrhage in “Near-Miss” morbidity and mortality in a tertiary care hospital in North India. Indian J Med Sci 60: pp. 233-240 CrossRef
- Mathai, M, Gülmezoglu, A, Hill, S (2007) WHO recommendations for the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. WHO Document Production Services, Geneva
- Soltan, MH, El-Gendi, E, Imam, HH (2007) Different doses of sublingual misoprostol versus methylergometrine for the prevention of atonic postpartum hemorrhage. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 1: pp. 229-236
- Tang, OS, Schweer, H, Seyberth, HW (2002) Pharmacokinetics of different routes of administration of misoprostol. Hum Reprod 17: pp. 332-336 CrossRef
- Ng, PS, Chan, AS, Sin, WK (2001) A multicentre randomized controlled trial of oral misoprostol and i.m. syntometrine in the management of the third stage of labor. Hum Reprod 16: pp. 31-35 CrossRef
- El-Refaey, H, Nooh, R, O’Brien, P (2000) The misoprostol third stage of labor study: a randomized controlled comparison between orally administered misoprostol and standard management. BJOG 107: pp. 1104-1110 CrossRef
- Walraven, G, Blum, J, Dampha, Y (2005) Misoprostol in the management of the third stage of labor in the home delivery setting in rural Gambia: a randomized controlled trial. BJOG 112: pp. 1277-1283 CrossRef
- Gohil, JT, Tripathi, B (2011) A study to compare the efficacy of misoprostol, oxytocin, methyl-ergometrine and ergometrine-oxytocin in reducing blood loss in active management of 3rd stage of labor. J Obstet Gynaecol India 61: pp. 408-412 CrossRef
- Tunçalp, Ö, Hofmeyr, GJ, Gülmezoglu, AM (2012) Prostaglandins for preventing postpartum hemorrhage. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 8: pp. CD00494
- A Comparative Study of Oxytocin/Misoprostol/Methylergometrine for Active Management of the Third Stage of Labor
The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India
Volume 64, Issue 3 , pp 175-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links