To Evaluate the Accuracy of Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) for Evaluation of Uterine Cavity Abnormalities in Patients with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To evaluate the accuracy of transvaginal sonography (TVS) and saline infusion sonohysterography (SIS) for detection of uterine cavity abnormalities in patients with abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) taking hysteroscopy as the gold standard.
This was a prospective study done in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of a tertiary care academic hospital. Sixty premenopausal and postmenopausal women who presented with AUB underwent TVS, SIS, and hysteroscopy. The presence of focal abnormality and the type of abnormality, i.e., polyp, submucous myoma, and endometrial hyperplasia, were noted. The results of TVS and SIS were compared with hysteroscopy.
On hysteroscopy, 76.67 % (n = 46) patients were diagnosed with intra cavity abnormalities. SIS showed sensitivity, specificity, PPV, and NPV of 89.1, 100, 100, and 73.7 %, respectively. In comparison, TVS showed sensitivity, specificity, PPV, and NPV of 43.48, 78.57, 86.96, and 29.73 %, respectively.
SIS was found to be more sensitive and specific than TVS in detection of intra cavity abnormalities.
- To Evaluate the Accuracy of Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) for Evaluation of Uterine Cavity Abnormalities in Patients with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India
Volume 64, Issue 3 , pp 197-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology PGIMER, Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi, 110001, India
- 3. J-5/169, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi, 110027, India
- 2. Department of Radiodiagnosis PGIMER, Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi, 110001, India