To Evaluate the Accuracy of Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) for Evaluation of Uterine Cavity Abnormalities in Patients with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To evaluate the accuracy of transvaginal sonography (TVS) and saline infusion sonohysterography (SIS) for detection of uterine cavity abnormalities in patients with abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) taking hysteroscopy as the gold standard.
This was a prospective study done in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of a tertiary care academic hospital. Sixty premenopausal and postmenopausal women who presented with AUB underwent TVS, SIS, and hysteroscopy. The presence of focal abnormality and the type of abnormality, i.e., polyp, submucous myoma, and endometrial hyperplasia, were noted. The results of TVS and SIS were compared with hysteroscopy.
On hysteroscopy, 76.67 % (n = 46) patients were diagnosed with intra cavity abnormalities. SIS showed sensitivity, specificity, PPV, and NPV of 89.1, 100, 100, and 73.7 %, respectively. In comparison, TVS showed sensitivity, specificity, PPV, and NPV of 43.48, 78.57, 86.96, and 29.73 %, respectively.
SIS was found to be more sensitive and specific than TVS in detection of intra cavity abnormalities.
- van Dongen H, de Kroon C, Trimbos B, et al. Diagnostic accuracy in abnormal uterine bleeding: a systematic review and meta- analysis. BJOG. 2007;114:661–75. CrossRef
- Emanuel MH, Verdel MJC, Wamsteker K, et al. An audit of true prevalence of intrauterine pathology: the hysteroscopical findings controlled for patient selection in 1202 patients with abnormal uterine bleeding. Gynaecol Endosc. 1995;4:237–41.
- Debra L, Berridge, Thomas C Winter. Saline infusion sonohysterography technique, indications, and imaging findings. J Ultrasound Med. 2004;23:97–112.
- Angioni S, Loddo A, Milano F, et al. Detection of intra cavitary lesion in postmenopausal women with abnormal uterine bleeding: a prospective comparative study on outpatient hysteroscopy and blind biopsy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2008;15:87–91. CrossRef
- de Kroon CD, Jansen FW. Saline infusion sonography in women with uterine bleeding: an update of recent findings. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2006;18:653–7. CrossRef
- Parson AK, Lense H. Sonohysterography for endometrial abnormalities: preliminary results. J Clin Ultrasound. 1993;21:87–95. CrossRef
- Schwarzler P, Concin H, Bosch H, et al. An evaluation of sonohysterography and diagnostic hysteroscopy for the assessment of intrauterine pathology. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1998;11:337–42. CrossRef
- Dueholm M, Forman A, Jenson ML, et al. Transvaginal sonography combined with saline contrast sonohysterography in evaluating the uterine cavity in premenopausal patients with abnormal uterine bleeding. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2001;18:54–61. CrossRef
- Feitosa IMSD, Feitosa HN, Carvalho FHC, et al. Comparison between transvaginal sonography and sonohysterography in the assessment of patients with abnormal uterine bleeding. Radiol Bras. 2011;44:156–62. CrossRef
- Erdem M, Bilgin U, Bozkurt N, et al. Comparison of transvaginal ultrasonography and saline infusion sonohysterography in evaluating the endometrial cavity in pre and postmenopausal women with abnormal uterine bleeding. Menopause. 2007;14:846–52. CrossRef
- Karsidag AV, Buyukbayrak EE, Kars B, et al. Hysteroscopy for investigation of focal intrauterine lesion in women with recurrent postmenopausal bleeding after dilatation and curettage. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010;281:637–43. CrossRef
- El-khayat W, Sleet ME, Mahdi EY. Comparative study of transvaginal sonography and hysteroscopy for the detection of pathological endometrial lesions in women with perimenopausal bleeding. Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2011;16:77–82. CrossRef
- Yildizhan B, Yildizhan R, Ozkesici B, et al. Transvaginal ultrasonography and saline infusion sonohsterography for the detection of intra-uterine lesions in pre-and post-menopausal women with abnormal uterine bleeding. J Int Med Res. 2008;36:1205–13. CrossRef
- Tamura-Sadamori R, Emoto M, Naganuma Y, et al. The sonographic difference in sub mucosal uterine fibroids and endometrial polyps treated by hysteroscopic surgery. J Ultrasound Med. 1994;13:623–8.
- Mohammad Ali Karimzadeh, Firouzabadi RD, Goharzad F. Diagnostic value of saline contrast sonohysterography comparing with hysteroscopy for detecting endometrial abnormalities in women with abnormal bleeding. Iranian J Reprod Med. 2010;9:122–99.
- To Evaluate the Accuracy of Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) for Evaluation of Uterine Cavity Abnormalities in Patients with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India
Volume 64, Issue 3 , pp 197-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology PGIMER, Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi, 110001, India
- 3. J-5/169, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi, 110027, India
- 2. Department of Radiodiagnosis PGIMER, Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi, 110001, India