Comparison of Diagnostic Efficacy of Umbilical Artery and Middle Cerebral Artery Waveform with Color Doppler Study for Detection of Intrauterine Growth Restriction
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Background and Objectives
Intrauterine growth restriction is associated with increased perinatal mortality and morbidity, possibly extending also in adult life, as compared to fetuses and newborns presenting characteristics of normal growth. The present study had been planned to measure the pulsatility index (PI) and resistive index of the middle cerebral artery with pulsatility and resistive index of the umbilical artery in predicting fetal growth restriction.
Materials and Methods
A total of 60 pregnant women with a clinical history and grayscale-screened patients were taken for Doppler analysis, and a final comparison of accuracy of Doppler indices was done with perinatal outcome.
The statistical analysis was done using the Statistical Package for Social Sciences version 15.0 statistical analysis software. The values were represented in number (%) and mean ± SD.
Observation and Results
The umbilical artery PI had maximum sensitivity at the third visit (32–37 weeks) and maximum specificity also at the third visit (32–37 weeks). The umbilical artery resistive index had maximum sensitivity at the second visit (28–32 weeks) and maximum specificity at the third visit (32–37 weeks). The MCA PI had an overall diagnostic accuracy of 52.8 %.
The PI of the umbilical artery was more sensitive than the PI of the middle cerebral artery. Umbilical artery PI has the maximum overall diagnostic accuracy of 75 %.
- Arduini D, Rizzo G. Prediction of fetal outcome in small for gestational age fetus: comparison of Doppler measurements obtained from different fetal vessels. J Perinat Med. 1992;20:29–38. CrossRef
- Kurmanavicius J, Florio I, Wisser J, et al. Reference resistance indices of the umbilical, fetal middle cerebral and uterine arteries at 24–42 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1997;10:112–20. CrossRef
- Bahlmann F, Reinhard I, Krummenauer F, et al. Blood flow velocity waveforms of the fetal middle cerebral artery in a normal population: reference values from 18 weeks to 42 weeks of gestation. J Perinat Med. 2002;30:490. CrossRef
- Gudmundsson S, Marsal K. Umbilical artery and uteroplacental blood flow velocity waveforms in normal pregnancy—a cross-sectional study. Eur J Obstet Gynaecol. 1988;67(4):347–54.
- Dhand H, Kansal HK, Dave A. Middle cerebral artery doppler indices better predictor for fetal outcome in IUGR. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2011;61:166–71.
- Mathai A, Parikh S, Chandra Sekhar G, et al. Understanding and using sensitivity, specificity and predictive values. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2008;56(1):45–50. CrossRef
- Narula H, Kapila AK, Mohi MK. Cerebral and umbilical arterial blood flow velocity in normal and growth retarded pregnancy. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2009;59(1):47–52.
- Mulders LG, Wijn PF, Jongsma HW, et al. A comparative study of three indices of umbilical blood flow in relation to prediction of growth retardation. J Perinat Med. 1987;15(1):3–12. CrossRef
- Lakhkar BN, Rajagopal KV, Gourisankar PT. Doppler prediction of adverse perinatal outcome in PIH and IUGR. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2006;16(1):10–6. CrossRef
- Aali BS, Narooi S, Mojtabaean B, et al. Screening utility of umbilical artery Doppler indices in patients with preeclampsia. Iran J Reprod Med. 2010;8(4):167–72.
- Bano S, Chaudhary V, Pande S, et al. Color Doppler evaluation of cerebral-umbilical pulsatility ratio and its usefulness in the diagnosis of intrauterine growth retardation and prediction of adverse perinatal outcome. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2010;20(1):20–5. CrossRef
- Gramellini D, Folli MC, Raboni S, et al. Cerebral umbilical Doppler ratio as a predictor of adverse perinatal outcome. Obstet Gynecol. 1992;79:416–20. CrossRef
- Fong KW, Ohlsson A, Hannah ME, et al. Prediction of perinatal outcome in Fetuses suspected to have intrauterine growth restriction: Doppler US study of fetal cerebral, renal and umbilical arteries. Radiology. 1999;213:681–9.
- Tarzamni MK, Nezami N, Sobhani N, et al. Nomograms of Iranian fetal middle cerebral artery Doppler waveforms and uniformity of their pattern with other populations’ nomograms. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2008;12(8):50. CrossRef
- Comparison of Diagnostic Efficacy of Umbilical Artery and Middle Cerebral Artery Waveform with Color Doppler Study for Detection of Intrauterine Growth Restriction
The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India
Volume 63, Issue 4 , pp 249-255
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Pulsatility index
- Resistive index
- Diagnostic accuracy
- Obstetrical Doppler