News from the CDC: Scaling up sustainable intervention delivery–lessons learned from the CDC arthritis program
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Expanding behavior change programs into widespread use with meaningful population impact is a public health challenge. This report described the CDC Arthritis Program’s strategic approach to fostering widespread availability and sustainability of community-based self-management education and physical activity interventions, and reviews common errors observed in efforts to disseminate and implement these interventions. The Arthritis Program strategic approach focuses on embedding interventions in delivery systems to facilitate spread and sustainability. Minimizing common implementation errors, such as pay-to-play partnerships, unsustainable delivery models, non-strategic growth strategies, non-selective training, imbalance between delivery and demand, infrequent interventions, and inadequate attention to data collection, can also enhance scaling up and sustaining behavior change interventions.
- Brady TJ, Jernick SL, Hootman JM, Sniezek JE. Public health interventions for arthritis: Expanding the toolbox of evidence-based interventions. J Womens Health. 2009; 18:1905-1917. CrossRef
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (2005) Pain, Aching, Stiffness and Swelling Growing and Sustaining State Arthritis Programs: Results of a Systematic Review of State Arthritis Programs Funded by CDC 1999–2005. Unpublished report submitted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, December 2005.
- Thompson, E. Arthritis Special Emphasis Panel Meeting Chairperson’s Report. Unpublished report submitted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, June 2007.
- Implementing the Arthritis Foundation Life Improvement Series through Partnerships: A Step-by-Step Guide. Arthritis Foundation, Atlanta GA; 2008.
- News from the CDC: Scaling up sustainable intervention delivery–lessons learned from the CDC arthritis program
Translational Behavioral Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 3-5
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
- 2. National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
- 3. National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA