Efficacy of Serum Prealbumin and CRP Levels as Monitoring Tools for Patients with Fascial Space Infections of Odontogenic Origin: A Clinicobiochemical Study
- Ashish SharmaAffiliated withDepartment of OMFS, Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre Email author
- , Girish GiraddiAffiliated withDepartment of OMFS, Government Dental College
- , Gokkula KrishnanAffiliated withDepartment of OMFS, Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre
- , Ashish Kumar ShahiAffiliated withDepartment of OMFS, Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Study includes 20 patients with diagnosis of fascial space infections of odontogenic origin to assess efficacy of serum prealbumin and CRP levels as monitoring tools for determining severity of infections, nutritional status, hospital stay and efficacy of treatment.
Blood samples taken on day 0, 4, and 8 for measuring serum levels of markers. Simultaneously clinical parameters like swelling size, pain etc., were also recorded on day 0, 4, and 8 and appropriate treatment given to each patient. Correlation between markers and parameters was found using regression and paired t test.
Statistical analysis found strong correlation between laboratory values of markers and parameters used to measure severity of infection also. Prealbumin and crp are significant markers for hospital stay (p < 0.01). Prealbumin also found to be a sensitive indicator of nutritional status (p < 0.001).
Interpretation and Conclusion
Prospective analysis indicates prealbumin and crp are effective markers for determining severity of infection, treatment efficacy and hospital stay. Prealbumin is also sensitive marker for nutritional status. Duration of antibiotic usage, intensive unit care, use of nutritional supplements becomes more rationale. Markers also make treatment cost effective and help protecting patients from side effects of excess drug usage.
KeywordsPrealbumin C-reactive protein Odontogenic space infection
- Efficacy of Serum Prealbumin and CRP Levels as Monitoring Tools for Patients with Fascial Space Infections of Odontogenic Origin: A Clinicobiochemical Study
Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 1-9
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- C-reactive protein
- Odontogenic space infection