ADHD and learning disabilities: Research findings and clinical implications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are at higher than average risk for academic achievement difficulties and learning disabilities (LDs). Several decades of research indicate that about 27% to 31% of students with ADHD also have LDs, although estimates vary widely depending on the criteria used to define LDs. Recent studies have demonstrated that 1) the association between ADHD and achievement difficulties is driven more by inattentive than hyperactive-impulsive symptoms, 2) deficits in working memory and processing speed are shared across ADHD and LDs, 3) multiple genes seem involved in the etiology of both ADHD and reading disabilities, and 4) neither cognitive nor behavioral constructs fully account for the relationship between ADHD and LDs. Comprehensive longitudinal studies assessing children with ADHD, LDs, and combined disorders are necessary to further explicate the relationship between these two disorders.
- Abikoff HB, Jensen PS, Arnold LE, et al.: Observed classroom behavior of children with ADHD: relationship to gender and comorbidity. J Abnorm Child Psychol 2002, 30:349–360. CrossRef
- Vile Junod RE, DuPaul GJ, Jitendra AK, et al.: Classroom observations of students with and without ADHD: differences across types of engagement. J School Psychol 2006, 44:87–104.
- Barkley RA: Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment, edn 3. New York: Guilford; 2006.
- Brock SW, Knapp PK: Reading comprehension abilities of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Atten Disord 1996, 1:173–186. CrossRef
- DuPaul GJ, Stoner G: ADHD in the Schools: Assessment and Intervention Strategies, edn 2. New York: Guilford; 2003.
- Semrud-Clikeman M, Biederman J, Sprich-Buckminster S, et al.: Comorbidity between ADDH and learning disability: a review and report in a clinically referred sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1992, 31:439–448. CrossRef
- DuPaul GJ, Volpe RJ, Jitendra AK, et al.: Elementary school students with AD/HD: predictors of academic achievement. J School Psychol 2004, 42:285–301. CrossRef
- Rapport MD, Scanlan SW, Denney CB: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and scholastic achievement: a model of dual developmental pathways. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1999, 40:1169–1183. CrossRef
- Barkley RA, Murphy KR, Fischer M: ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says. New York: Guilford; 2008.
- Mannuzza S, Gittelman-Klein R, Bessler A, et al.: Adult outcome of hyperactive boys: educational achievement, occupational rank, and psychiatric status. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1993, 50:565–576.
- Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ: Early disruptive behavior, IQ, and later school achievement and delinquent behavior. J Abnorm Child Psychol 1995, 23:183–199. CrossRef
- Volpe RJ, DuPaul GJ, DiPerna JC, et al.: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and scholastic achievement: a model of mediation via academic enablers. School Psychol Rev 2006, 35:47–61.
- August GJ, Holmes CS: Behavior and academic achievement in hyperactive subgroups and learning-disabled boys. Am J Dis Child 1984, 138:1025–1029.
- Silver LB: Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder: is it a learning disability or a related disorder? J Learn Disabil 1990, 23:394–397. CrossRef
- Barkley RA: Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder: A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment. New York: Guilford; 1990.
- Pastor PN, Reuben CA: Attention Deficit Disorder and Learning Disability: United States, 1997–98. Washington, DC: National Center for Health Statistics: Vital Health Statistics; 2002. [DHHS publication no. PHS 2002-1534.]
- Hinshaw SP: Externalizing behavior problems and academic underachievement in childhood and adolescence: causal relationships and underlying mechanisms. Psychol Bull 1992, 111:127–155. CrossRef
- Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Glutting JJ, Watkins MW: ADHD and achievement: a meta-analysis of child, adolescent, and adult literatures and a concomitant study with college students. J Learn Disabil 2007, 40:49–65. CrossRef
- Barkley RA: ADHD and the Nature of Self-Control. New York: Guilford; 1997.
- Rapport MD, Alderson RM, Kofler MJ, et al.: Working memory in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): the contribution of central executive and subsystem processes. J Abnorm Child Psychol 2008, 36:825–837. CrossRef
- Shanahan M, Pennington BF, Yerys BE, et al.: Processing speed deficits in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and reading disability. J Abnorm Child Psychol 2006, 34:585–602. CrossRef
- Rabiner D, Coie JD: Early attention problems and children’s reading achievement: a longitudinal investigation. The Conduct Problems Prevention Research Group. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2000, 39:859–867. CrossRef
- Massetti GM, Lahey BB, Pelham WE, et al.: Academic achievement over 8 years among children who met modified criteria for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder at 4–6 years of age. J Abnorm Child Psychol 2008, 36:399–410. CrossRef
- Milich R, Balentine AC, Lynam DR: ADHD combined type and ADHD predominantly inattentive type are distinct and unrelated disorders. Clin Psychol Sci Pract 2001, 8:463–488. CrossRef
- Pennington BF, Willcutt E, Rhee SH: Analyzing comorbidity. In Advances in Child Development and Behavior, vol 33. Edited by Kail RV. Oxford: Elsevier; 2005:263–304.
- Gizer IR, Ficks C, Waldman ID: Candidate gene studies of ADHD: a meta-analytic review. Hum Genet 2009, 126:51–90. CrossRef
- Fisher SE, DeFries JC: Developmental dyslexia: genetic dissection of a complex cognitive trait. Nat Rev Neurosci 2002, 3:767–780. CrossRef
- Pennington BF, McGrath LM, Rosenberg J, et al.: Gene x environment interactions in reading disability and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Dev Psychol 2009, 45:77–89. CrossRef
- ADHD and learning disabilities: Research findings and clinical implications
Current Attention Disorders Reports
Volume 1, Issue 4 , pp 152-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links