Fabrication and properties of foam geopolymer using circulating fluidized bed combustion fly ash
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In recent years, circulating fluidized bed combustion fly ash (CFA) is used as a raw material for geopolymer synthesis. Hydrogen peroxide was employed as a foaming agent to prepare CFA-based foam geopolymer. The particle distribution, mineral composition, and chemical composition of CFA were examined firstly. Geopolymerization products were characterized by mechanical testing, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and X-ray fluorescence (XRF). The CFA-based foam geopolymer was successfully fabricated with different contents of hydrogen peroxide and exhibited uncompleted alkali reaction and reasonable strength with relative low atomic ratios of Si/Al and Si/Na. Type-C CFA in this research could be recycled as an alternative source material for geopolymer production.
- J. Davidovits, Geopolymer Chemistry and Applications, Institut Géopolymère, Saint-Quentin, 2008, p. 592.
- H. Xu, Geopolymerisation of Alumino-Silicate Minerals [Dissertation], The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, 2002, p. 297.
- P. Sun, Fly Ash Based Inorganic Polymeric Building Material [Dissertation], Wayne State University, Detroit, 2005, p. 216.
- R.E. Lyon, P.N. Balaguru, A. Foden, U. Sorathia, J. Davidovits, and M. Davidovics, Fire-resistant aluminosilicate composites, Fire Mater., 21(1997), p. 67. CrossRef
- D.L.Y. Kong, J.G. Sanjayan, and K. Sagoe-Crentsil, Comparative performance of geopolymers made with metakaolin and fly ash after exposure to elevated temperatures, Cem. Concr. Res., 37(2007), p. 1583. CrossRef
- H. Xu and J.S.J. van Deventer, The geopolymerisation of alumino-silicate minerals, Int. J. Miner. Process., 59(2000), p.247. CrossRef
- H. Xu and J.S.J. van Deventer, Geopolymerisation of multiple minerals, Miner. Eng., 15(2002), p. 1131. CrossRef
- H. Xu and J.S.J. van Deventer, The effect of alkali metals on the formation of geopolymeric gels from alkali-feldspars, Colloids Surf. A, 216(2003), p. 27. CrossRef
- P. Duxson, G.C. Lukey, and S.J. van Deventer, Thermal conductivity of metakaolin geopolymers used as a first approximation for determining gel interconnectivity, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45(2006), No. 23, p. 7781. CrossRef
- M. Hu, X. Zhu, and F. Long, Alkali-activated fly ash-based geopolymers with zeolite or bentonite as additives. Cem. Concr. Compos., 31(2009), p. 762. CrossRef
- P. Chindaprasirt, C. Jaturapitakkul, W. Chalee, and U. Rattanasak, Comparative study on the characteristics of fly ash and bottom ash geopolymers, Waste Manage., 29(2009), p.539. CrossRef
- J.E. Oh, P.J.M. Monteiro, S.S. Jun, S. Choi, and S.M. Clark, The evolution of strength and crystalline phases for alkaliactivated ground blast furnace slag and fly ash-based geopolymers, Cem. Concr. Res., 40(2010), p. 189. CrossRef
- P. Sukmak, S. Horpibulsuk, and S.L. Shen, Strength development in clay-fly ash geopolymer, Constr. Build. Mater., 40(2013), p. 566. CrossRef
- W.D.A. Rickard, R. Williams, J. Temuujin, and A.V. Riessen, Assessing the suitability of three Australian fly ashes as an aluminosilicate source for geopolymers in high temperature applications, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 528(2011), p. 3390. CrossRef
- Y.L. Zhao, J.W. Ye, X.B. Lu, M.G. Liu, Y. Lin, W.T. Gong, and G.L. Ning, Preparation of sintered foam materials by alkaliactivated coal fly ash, J. Hazard. Mater., 174(2010), p.108. CrossRef
- W.D.A. Rickard, L. Vickers, and A. van Riessen, Performance of fibre reinforced, low density metakaolin geopolymers under simulated fire conditions, Appl. Clay Sci., 73(2013), p.71. CrossRef
- E. Prud’homme, P. Michaud, E. Joussein, J.M. Clacens, and S. Rossignol, Role of alkaline cations and water content on geomaterial foams: monitoring during formation, J. Non Cryst. Solids, 357(2011), p. 1270. CrossRef
- J.L. Bell and W.M. Kriven, Preparation of ceramic foams from metakaolin-based geopolymer gels, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 29(2009), No. 10, p. 97.
- E. Álvarez-Ayuso, X. Querol, F. Plana, A. Alastuey, N. Moreno, M. Izquierdo, O. Font, T. Moreno, S. Diez, E. Vazquez, and M. Barra, Environmental, physical and structural characterisation of geopolymer matrixes synthesised from coal (co-)combustion fly ashes, J. Hazard. Mater., 154(2008), p.175. CrossRef
- T. Bakharev, Geopolymeric materials prepared using Class F fly ash and elevated temperature curing, Cem. Concr. Res., 35(2005), p. 1224. CrossRef
- M. Criado, A. Fernández-Jiménez, A.G. de la Torre, M.A.G. Aranda, and A. Palomo, An XRD study of the effect of the SiO2/Na2O ratio on the alkali activation of fly ash, Cem. Concr. Res., 37(2007), p. 671. CrossRef
- Y. Fang and O. Kayali, The fate of water in fly ash-based geopolymers, Constr. Build. Mater., 39(2013), p. 89. CrossRef
- Q. Li, H. Xu, F.H. Li, P.M. Li, L.F. Shen, and J.P. Zhai, Synthesis of geopolymer composites from blends of CFBC fly and bottom ashes, Fuel, 97(2012), p. 366. CrossRef
- P. Chindaprasirt and U. Rattanasak, Utilization of blended fluidized bed combustion (FBC) ash and pulverized coal combustion (PCC) fly ash in geopolymer, Waste Manage., 30(2010), p. 667. CrossRef
- J.L. Provis, P. Duxson, J.S.J. van Deventer, and G.C. Lukey, The role of mathematical modelling and gel chemistry in advancing geopolymer technology, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 83(2005), No. 7, p. 853. CrossRef
- J.G.S. van Jaarsveld, J.S.J. van Deventer, and G.C. Lukey, The effect of composition and temperature on the properties of fly ash- and kaolinite-based geopolymers, Chem. Eng. J., 89(2002), p. 63. CrossRef
- K. Komnitsas and D. Zaharaki, Geopolymerisation: a review and prospects for the minerals industry, Miner. Eng., 20(2007), p. 1261. CrossRef
- J.L. Provis and J.S.J. van Deventer, Direct measurement of the kinetics of geopolymerisation by in-situ energy dispersive X-ray diffractometry, J. Mater. Sci., 42(2007), No. 9, p. 2974. CrossRef
- Fabrication and properties of foam geopolymer using circulating fluidized bed combustion fly ash
International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 89-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- fly ash
- foamed products
- hydrogen peroxide
- Industry Sectors