The diagnostic accuracy of the revised mini nutritional assessment short form for older people living in the community and in nursing homes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic accuracy of the CC-SF, which was developed to use calf circumference (CC) instead of BMI in the MNA-SF, for elderly people living in the community and in nursing homes. It also aimed separately to determine the correlation of CC-SF and BMI-SF with the full MNA.
Study Design and Methods
The study included 640 elderly people living in their community and 243 elderly people living in nursing homes. Accuracy was assessed by determining the sensitivity and selectivity of the nutritional assessments. The correlations between the MNA-SFs and the full MNA were analyzed.
The correlation between MNA-SFs and full MNAs was strong, significant and almost identical both in the community and in nursing homes (r=0.86–0.88; p<0.001). The observed agreement between the BMISF and the full MNA was 82.2% in the community and 77.8% in the nursing homes. There was a substantial agreement by kappa values in the comparison of community and nursing homes (the Kappa value of the BMI-SF was 0.63 in the community and 0.62 in the nursing homes, and the kappa value of the CC-SF was 0.62 in the community and 0.63 in the nursing homes). When compared to the full MNA the MNA-SFs tended to underestimate nutritional status. Both MNA-SFs had similarly high sensitivity and selectivity, both in the community and nursing homes. (when dichotomized as “malnourished-at risk of malnutrition” versus “well nourished” and “malnourished” versus “at risk of malnutrition-well nourished”) (over 80%).
In cases where BMI cannot be determined, the CC-SF is a good substitute for the BMI-SF.
- Guigoz, Y., Vellas, B., and Garry, P. J. Assessing the nutritional status of the elderly: The Mini Nutritional Assessment as part of the geriatric evaluation Nutr. Rev. 1996;54:S59–S65. CrossRef
- Bauer, J. M., Kaiser, M. J., Anthony, P., Guigoz, Y., and Sieber, C. C. The Mini Nutritional Assessment—its history, today’s practice, and future perspectives Nutr.Clin.Pract. 2008;23:388–396. CrossRef
- Guigoz, Y., Lauque, S., and Vellas, B. J. Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional Assessment Clin.Geriatr.Med. 2002;18:737–757. CrossRef
- Rubenstein, L. Z., Harker, J. O., Salva, A., Guigoz, Y., and Vellas, B. Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: developing the short-form mini-nutritional assessment (MNA-SF) J.Gerontol.A Biol.Sci.Med.Sci. 2001;56:M366–M372. CrossRef
- Misra, A., Chowbey, P., Makkar, B. M., Vikram, N. K., Wasir, J. S., Chadha, D., Joshi, S. R., Sadikot, S., Gupta, R., Gulati, S., and Munjal, Y. P. Consensus statement for diagnosis of obesity, abdominal obesity and the metabolic syndrome for Asian Indians and recommendations for physical activity, medical and surgical management J.Assoc.Physicians India 2009;57:163–170.
- Charlton, K. E., Kolbe-Alexander, T. L., and Nel, J. H. Development of a novel nutrition screening tool for use in elderly South Africans Public Health Nutr. 2005;8:468–479.
- Sinaki, M. Musculoskeletal challenges of osteoporosis Aging (Milano.) 1998;10:249–262.
- Lee, L. C. and Tsai, A. C. Mini-Nutritional-Assessment (MNA) without body mass index (BMI) predicts functional disability in elderly Taiwanese Arch.Gerontol.Geriatr. 2012;54:e405–e410. CrossRef
- Kaiser, M. J., Bauer, J. M., Ramsch, C., Uter, W., Guigoz, Y., Cederholm, T., Thomas, D. R., Anthony, P., Charlton, K. E., Maggio, M., Tsai, A. C., Grathwohl, D., Vellas, B., and Sieber, C. C. Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment shortform (MNA-SF): a practical tool for identification of nutritional status J.Nutr.Health Aging 2009;13:782–788. CrossRef
- Kaiser, M. J., Bauer, J. M., Uter, W., Donini, L. M., Stange, I., Volkert, D., Diekmann, R., Drey, M., Bollwein, J., Tempera, S., Guerra, A., Ricciardi, L. M., and Sieber, C. C. Prospective validation of the modified mini nutritional assessment short-forms in the community, nursing home, and rehabilitation setting J.Am.Geriatr.Soc. 2011;59:2124–2128. CrossRef
- Garcia-Meseguer, M. J. and Serrano-Urrea, R. Validation of the revised mini nutritional assessment short-forms in nursing homes in Spain J.Nutr.Health Aging 2013;17:26–29. CrossRef
- Simsek, H., Meseri, R., Sahin, S., and Ucku, R. Prevalence of food insecurity and malnutrition, factors related to malnutrition in the elderly: A community-based, cross-sectional study from Turkey European Geriatric Medicine 2013;4:226–230. CrossRef
- Meseri, R., Ucku, R., and Unal, B. Waist:height ratio: a superior index in estimating cardiovascular risks in Turkish adults Public Health Nutr. 2013;1–7.
- Wang, J., Thornton, J. C., Kolesnik, S., and Pierson, R. N., Jr. Anthropometry in body composition. An overview Ann.N.Y.Acad.Sci. 2000;904:317–326. CrossRef
- Vellas, B., Guigoz, Y., Garry, P. J., Nourhashemi, F., Bennahum, D., Lauque, S., and Albarede, J. L. The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients Nutrition 1999;15:116–122. CrossRef
- Landis, J. R. and Koch, G. G. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data Biometrics 1977;33:159–174. CrossRef
- Vellas, B., Lauque, S., Andrieu, S., Nourhashemi, F., Rolland, Y., Baumgartner, R., and Garry, P. Nutrition assessment in the elderly Curr.Opin.Clin.Nutr.Metab Care 2001;4:5–8. CrossRef
- Kaiser, M. J., Bauer, J. M., Ramsch, C., Uter, W., Guigoz, Y., Cederholm, T., Thomas, D. R., Anthony, P. S., Charlton, K. E., Maggio, M., Tsai, A. C., Vellas, B., and Sieber, C. C. Frequency of malnutrition in older adults: a multinational perspective using the mini nutritional assessment J.Am.Geriatr.Soc. 2010;58:1734–1738. CrossRef
- Cankurtaran, M., Saka, B., Sahin, S., Varli, M., Doventas, A., Yavuz, B. B., Halil, M., Curgunlu, A., Ulger, Z., Tekin, N., Akcicek, F., Karan, M. A., Atli, T., Beger, T., Erdincler, D. S., and Ariogul, S. Turkish nursing homes and care homes nutritional status assessment project (THN-malnutrition) European Geriatric Medicine 2013;4:329–334. CrossRef
- Diekmann, R., Winning, K., Uter, W., Kaiser, M. J., Sieber, C. C., Volkert, D., and Bauer, J. M. Screening for malnutrition among nursing home residents — a comparative analysis of the mini nutritional assessment, the nutritional risk screening, and the malnutrition universal screening tool J.Nutr.Health Aging 2013;17:326–331. CrossRef
- The diagnostic accuracy of the revised mini nutritional assessment short form for older people living in the community and in nursing homes
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Paris
- Additional Links
- Elderly people
- mini nutritional assessment
- diagnostic accuracy
- Industry Sectors