Integrated numerical analysis to evaluate replication characteristics of micro channels in a locally heated mold by selective induction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
High-frequency induction heating is an efficient way to heat mold surfaces by electromagnetic induction using a non-contact procedure. Due to its ability to rapidly heat and cool mold surfaces, this method has been applied recently to the injection molding of micro/nano structures. The present study investigates a localized heating method involving the selective use of mold materials to enhance the heating efficiency of high-frequency induction heating. A composite injection mold consisting of ferromagnetic material and paramagnetic material was used for localized induction heating. The feasibility of this localized heating method was investigated through numerical analyses in terms of its heating efficiency for localized mold surfaces and the resulting flow characteristics in micro channels. To take into account the effects of thermal boundary conditions of localized induction heating, a fully integrated numerical analysis effectively connecting electromagnetic field calculation, heat transfer analysis, and injection molding simulation was carried out. The proposed integrated simulation was applied to the injection molding of a rectangular strip containing micro channels, and the resulting mold heating capacity and replication characteristics of the micro channels were compared with experimental findings in order to verify the validity of the proposed simulation.
- Heckele, M. and Schomburg, W. K., “Review on micro molding of thermoplastic polymers,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. R1–14, 2004. CrossRef
- Giboz, J., Copponnex, T. and Méle, P., “Microinjection molding of thermoplastic polymers: a review,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. R96–109, 2007. CrossRef
- Seldén, R., “Thin wall molding of engineering plastics — a literature survey,” J. Injection Molding Tech., Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 159–166, 2000.
- Yu, L., Koh, C. G., Lee, L. J. and Koelling, K. W., “Experimental investigation and numerical simulation of injection molding with micro-features,” Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 871–888, 2002. CrossRef
- Chen, S. C., Jong, W. R., Chang, Y. J., Chang, J. A. and Cin, J. C., “Rapid mold temperature variation for assisting the micro injection of high aspect ratio micro-feature parts using induction heating technology,” J. Micromech, Microeng., Vol. 16, No. 9, pp. 1783–1791, 2006. CrossRef
- Kim, S., Shiau, C. S., Kim, B. and Yao, D., “Injection molding nanoscale features with the aid of induction heating,” Polym. Plast. Tech. Engng., Vol. 46, No. 11, pp. 1031–1037, 2007. CrossRef
- Park, K. and Lee, S. I., “Localized mold heating with the aid of selective induction for injection molding of high aspect ratio microfeatures,” J. Micromech, Microeng., Vol. 20, No. 3, Paper No. 035002, 2010.
- Chen, S. C., Peng, H. S., Chang, W. R. and Jong, W. R., “Simulations and verifications of induction heating on a mold plate,” Int. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 971–980, 2004. CrossRef
- Eom, H. and Park, K., “Fully-coupled numerical analysis of high-frequency induction heating for thin-wall injection molding,” Polym. Plast. Tech. Eng., Vol. 48, No. 10, pp. 1070–1077, 2009. CrossRef
- Park, K., “A study on flow simulation and deformation analysis for injection-molded plastic parts using three-dimensional solid elements,” Polym. Plast. Tech. Eng., Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 1569–1585, 2004. CrossRef
- Park, K., Eom, H. and Lee, S. I., “Fully-integrated numerical analysis of micro-injection molding with localized induction heating,” Proc. 10th Int. Conf. Numer. Meth. Ind. Form. Proc., Vol. 1252, pp. 192–197, 2010.
- Ahn, D. G., Park, S. H. and Kim, H. S., “Manufacture of an injection mould with rapid and uniform cooling characteristics for the fan parts using DMT process,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 915–924, 2010. CrossRef
- Integrated numerical analysis to evaluate replication characteristics of micro channels in a locally heated mold by selective induction
International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 53-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society for Precision Engineering
- Additional Links
- Micro injection molding
- Induction heating
- Local mold heating
- Numerical analysis
- Industry Sectors