The Factor Structure and Factorial Invariance for the Decisional Balance Scale for Adolescent Smoking
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The transtheoretical model is a framework to explain smoking uptake and cessation in adolescence. Decisional balance is proposed as a driver of stage movement.
The purpose of this study was to examine the factor structure and measurement equivalence/invariance (ME/I) of the decisional balance scale.
In this study, we used confirmatory factor analysis followed by measurement equivalence/invariance testing to examine the factorial validity of the decisional balance scale in adolescent smokers and nonsmokers.
Unlike previous studies, we found that a four-factor solution splitting cons into esthetic and health cons significantly improved the fit of model to the data. ME/I testing showed that the same structure and measurement model held for both smokers and nonsmokers, girls and boys, and across the three occasions the scale was administered.
Cons showed strong evidence that it constituted two separate first order factors. Decisional balance for smoking in adolescence has good evidence of factorial validity.
- Prochaska JO, Velicer WF. The transtheoretical model of health behavior change. Am J Health Promot. 1997;12:38–48.
- Velicer WF, Diclemente CC, Prochaska JO, Brandenburg N. Decisional balance measure for assessing and predicting smoking status. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1985;48:1279–89. CrossRef
- Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Rossi JS, Goldstein MG, Marcus BH, Rakowski W, et al. Stages of change and decisional balance for 12 problem behaviors. Health Psychol. 1994;13:39–46. CrossRef
- Stern RA, Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Elder JP. Stages of adolescent cigarette smoking acquisition: measurement and sample profiles. Addict Behav. 1987;12:319–29. CrossRef
- Pallonen UE, Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Prokhorov AV, Smith NF. Stages of acquisition and cessation for adolescent smoking: an empirical integration. Addict Behav. 1998;23:303–24. CrossRef
- Plummer BA, Velicer WF, Redding CA, Prochaska JO, Rossi JS, Pallonen UE, et al. Stage of change, decisional balance, and temptations for smoking—measurement and validation in a large, school-based population of adolescents. Addict Behav. 2001;26:551–71. CrossRef
- Hau KT, Wen Z, Cheng Z. Structural equation model and its applications. 2nd ed. Beijing: Educational Science; 2005.
- Vandenberg RJ, Lance CE. A review and synthesis of the measurement invariance literature: Suggestions, practices, and recommendations for organizational research. Organ Res Methods 2000;3:4–69. CrossRef
- Prochaska JO. Strong and weak principles for progressing from precontemplation to action on the basis of 12 problem behaviors. Health Psychol 1994;13:47–51. CrossRef
- Aveyard P, Cheng KK, Almond J, Sherratt E, Lancashire R, Lawrence T, et al. Cluster randomised controlled trial of expert system based on the transtheoretical (“stages of change”) model for smoking prevention and cessation in schools. Br Med J. 1999;319:948–53.
- Aveyard P, Sherratt E, Almond J, Lawrence T, Lancashire R, Griffin C, et al. The change-in-stage and updated smoking status results from a cluster-randomized trial of smoking prevention and cessation using the transtheoretical model among British adolescents. Prev Med 2001;33:313–24. CrossRef
- Wen Z, Hau KT, Marsh HW. Structural equation model testing: cutoff criteria for goodness of fit indices and chi-square test. Acta Psychol Sin. 2004;36:186–94.
- Browne MW, Cudeck R. Alternative ways of assessing model fit. Sociol Methods Res. 1993;21:230–58. CrossRef
- Hu L, Bentler PM. Cut off criteria for fit indices in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Struct Equ Modeling 1999;6:1–55. CrossRef
- Hagenaars JA, McCutcheon AL. Applied latent class analysis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2002.
- Kaplan D. Structural equation modeling: Foundations and extensions. London: Sage; 2000.
- Vandenberg RJ. Toward a further understanding of and improvement in measurement invariance methods and procedures. Organ Res Methods 2002;5:139–58. CrossRef
- Brannick MT. Critical comments on applying covariance structure modelling. J Organ Behav. 1995;16:201–13. CrossRef
- Cheung GW, Rensvold RB. Evaluating goodness-of-fit indexes for testing measurement invariance. Struct Equ Modeling 2002;9:233–55. CrossRef
- Kelloway EK. Structural equation modelling in perspective. J Organ Behav 1995;16:215–24. CrossRef
- Prochaska JO, DiClemente CC, Velicer WF, Rossi JS. Standardized, individualized, interactive, and personalized self-help programs for smoking cessation. Health Psychol. 1993;12:399–405. CrossRef
- Ward RM, Velicer WF, Rossi JS, Fava JL, Prochaska JO. Factorial invariance and internal consistency for the decisional balance inventory—short form. Addict Behav. 2004;29:953–8. CrossRef
- Guo B, Aveyard P, Fielding A, Sutton S. Testing the convergent and discriminant validity of decisional balance scale of the transtheoretical model using the multi-trait multi-method approach. Psychol Addict Behav 2008;22(2):288–94. CrossRef
- The Factor Structure and Factorial Invariance for the Decisional Balance Scale for Adolescent Smoking
International Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 158-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Decisional balance scale
- Factor structure
- Measurement invariance test
- Longitudinal study
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Primary Care & Public Health, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
- 2. Department of Economics, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
- 3. Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Institute of Public Health, University Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 2SR, UK