Enhancing mobile access to information with the short message service
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article describes the development of interactive text message applications at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. We describe how the university’s information technology innovation program led to the formation of a faculty owned company in which the university holds an equity interest. Next, we discuss the collaborative development of short message service (SMS) applications for the university community. We also describe the interactive SMS applications we have developed thus far, which range from simple data access applications to a novel discovery game designed for the first-year experience.
- Briggs, L. (2006). The age of the ‘smart’ cell phone. Campus Technology, 19(5), 24–57.
- Border, S., Vetter, R., & Brown, J. (2008). On the design and implementation of a system integrating outlook mobile services with the short message service. In Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN’08) (pp. 579–585). Las Vegas, NV: CSREA Press.
- Brown, J., Hoon, R., Vetter, R., & Saunders-White, D. (2007a). Interactive services on mobile devices for higher education. In Proceedings of the 2007 EDUCAUSE Conference. Seattle, WA: EDUCAUSE. http://net.EDUCAUSE.edu/e07/11082. Retrieved 22 June 2008.
- Brown, J., Shipman, B., & Vetter, R. (2007b). SMS: Short message service. Computer, 40(12), 106–110. CrossRef
- CTIA (2007). Wireless quick facts. http://www.ctia.org/media/industry_info/index.cfm/AID/10323. Retrieved on 22 June 2008.
- O’Donnell, J. (2007). Shop by phone get new meaning. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2007-12-18-young-shoppers-cellphone_N.htm. Retrieved on 22 June 2008.
- Reuters (2008). Campuses embrace emergency notification systems for improved crisis communications. http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS173667+14-Apr-2008+PRN20080414. Retrieved on 22 June 2008.
- Villano, M. (2006). Mobile rah! Campus Technology, 19(5), 29–38.
- Enhancing mobile access to information with the short message service
Journal of Computing in Higher Education
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 24-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Short message service
- Text messaging
- SMS applications
- Mobile computing
- Higher education
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of North Carolina Wilmington, 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC, 28403, USA
- 2. Department of Computer Science, The University of North Carolina Wilmington, 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC, 28403, USA
- 3. Information Technology Systems Division, The University of North Carolina Wilmington, 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC, 28403, USA