Breast-feeding history and overweight in 11 to 13-year-old children in Iran
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The relationship between breast-feeding history and risk of overweight in pre-adolescent children was investigated.
Children’s breast-feeding history and demographics were obtained in interviewer-administered questionnaires of a multistage cluster sample survey of 800 parents of children aged 11–13 years living in Yazd, Iran. Height and weight were measured in the children. Overweight was defined as body mass index ≥90th age- and sex-specific percentile of the 2000 Centers for Disease Control reference values.
One hundred and four (13.0%) of 800 children were overweight. A total of 783 (97.9%) of the children had been breast fed. There was a markedly lower overweight prevalence among breast-fed than non breast-fed children. Controlling for age and sex, children breast fed for at least 24 months were substantially less likely to be overweight than children breast fed for less than 12 months (OR 0.56, 95% CI 0.31–0.9). A longer overall duration and duration of exclusive breast-feeding were associated significantly with the decreasing prevalence of overweight.
This sample of Iranian children shows high rates of overweight at young ages but also high rates of breast-feeding. The duration of breast-feeding is inversely related with the prevalence of overweight in pre-adolescent children.
- The Surgeon-General. The problem of overweight in children and adolescents. The Surgeon General. Available from URL: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/calltoaction/fact_adolescents.htm.
- Moreno LA, Sarria A, Popkin BM. The nutrition transition in Spain: a European Mediterranean country. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002;56:992–1003. CrossRef
- Kain J, Uauy R, Vio F, Albala C. Trends in overweight and obesity prevalence in Chilean children: comparison of three definitions. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002;56:200–204. CrossRef
- Wang Y, Wang JQ. A comparison of international references for the assessment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity in different populations. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002;56:973–983. CrossRef
- Gurney M, Gorstein J. The global prevalence of obesity: an initial overview of available data. World Health Stat Q 1988;41:251–254.
- Musaiger AO, Matter AM, Alekri SA, Mahdi AR. Obesity among secondary school students in Bahrain. Nutr Health 1993;9:25–32.
- Kelishadi R, Pour MH, Sarraf-Zadegan N, Sadry GH, Ansari R, Alikhassy H, et al. Obesity and associated modifiable environmental factors in Iranian adolescents: Isfahan Healthy Heart Program-Heart Health Promotion from Childhood. Pediatr Int 2003;45:435–442. CrossRef
- Maffeis C, Schutz Y, Zaffanello M, Piccoli R, Pinelli L. Elevated energy expenditure and reduced energy intake in obese prepubertal children: paradox of poor dietary reliability in obesity? J Pediatr 1994;124:348–354. CrossRef
- Rolland-Cachera MF, Bellisle F. No correlation between adiposity and food intake: why are working class children fatter? Am J Clin Nutr 1986;44:779–787.
- Kimm SY, Barton BA, Obarzanek E, McMahon RP, Kronsberg SS, Waclawiw MA, et al; NHLBI Growth and Health Study. Obesity development during adolescence in a biracial cohort: the NHLBI Growth and Health Study. Pediatrics 2002;110:e54. CrossRef
- Shields L, O’Callaghan M, Williams GM, Najman JM, Bor W. Breastfeeding and obesity at 14 years: a cohort study. J Pediatr Child Health 2006;42:289–296. CrossRef
- Forrester TE, Wilks RJ, Bennett FI, Simeon D, Osmond C, Allen M, et al. Fetal growth and cardiovascular risk factors in Jamaican schoolchildren. BMJ 1996;312:156–160.
- Yajnik CS, Fall CH, Vaidya U, Pandit AN, Bavdekar A, Bhat DS, et al. Fetal growth and glucose and insulin metabolism in four-year-old Indian children. Diabet Med 1995;12:330–336. CrossRef
- Phillips DI, Barker DJ, Hales CN, Hirst S, Osmond C. Thinness at birth and insulin resistance in adult life. Diabetologia 1994;37:150–154. CrossRef
- Curhan GC, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Spiegelman D, Ascherio AL, Stampfer MJ. Birth weight and adult hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and obesity in US men. Circulation 1996;94:3246–3250.
- Sørensen HT, Sabroe S, Rothman KJ, Gillman M, Fischer P, Sørensen TI. Relation between weight and length at birth and body mass index in young adulthood: cohort study. BMJ 1997;315:1137.
- Pettitt DJ, Forman MR, Hanson RL, Knowler WC, Bennett PH. Breastfeeding and incidence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in Pima Indians. Lancet 1997;350:166–168. CrossRef
- Kramer MS. Do breast-feeding and delayed introduction of solid foods protect against subsequent obesity? J Pediatr 1981;98:883–887. CrossRef
- von Kries R, Koletzko B, Sauerwald T, von Mutius E, Barnert D, Grunert V, et al. Breast feeding and obesity: cross sectional study. BMJ 1999;319:147–150.
- Butte NF. The role of breastfeeding in obesity. Pediatr Clin North Am 2001;48:189–198. CrossRef
- Arenz S, Rückerl R, Koletzko B, von Kries R. Breast-feeding and childhood obesity-a systematic review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1247–1256. CrossRef
- Kuczmarski RJ, Ogden CL, Grummer-Strawn LM, Flegal KM, Guo SS, Wei R, et al. CDC growth charts: United States. Adv Data 2000;8:1–27.
- Zive MM, McKay H, Frank-Spohrer GC, Broyles SL, Nelson JA, Nader PR. Infant-feeding practices and adiposity in 4-y-old Anglo- and Mexican-Americans. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;55:1104–1108.
- Bergmann KE, Bergmann RL, Von Kries R, Böhm O, Richter R, Dudenhausen JW, et al. Early determinants of childhood overweight and adiposity in a birth cohort study: role of breast-feeding. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:162–172. CrossRef
- Elliott KG, Kjolhede CL, Gournis E, Rasmussen KM. Duration of breastfeeding associated with obesity during adolescence. Obes Res 1997;5:538–541.
- Grummer-Strawn LM, Mei Z. Does breastfeeding protect against pediatric overweight? Analysis of longitudinal data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System. Pediatrics 2004;113:e81–86. CrossRef
- Ariza AJ, Chen EH, Binns HJ, Christoffel KK. Risk factors for overweight in five- to six-year-old Hispanic-American children: a pilot study. J Urban Health 2004;81:150–161.
- Wadsworth M, Marshall S, Hardy R, Paul A. Breast feeding and obesity. Relation may be accounted for by social factors. BMJ 1999;319:1576.
- Liese AD, Hirsch T, von Mutius E, Keil U, Leupold W, Weiland SK. Inverse association of overweight and breast feeding in 9 to 10-y-old children in Germany. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001;25:1644–1650. CrossRef
- Agras WS, Kraemer HC, Berkowitz RI, Hammer LD. Influence of early feeding style on adiposity at 6 years of age. J Pediatr 1990;116:805–809. CrossRef
- Strbak V, Skultetyova M, Hromadova M, Randuskova A, Macho L. Late effects of breast-feeding and early weaning: seven-year prospective study in children. Endocr Regul 1991;25:53–57.
- Whitaker RC, Wright JA, Pepe MS, Seidel KD, Dietz WH. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 1997;337:869–873. CrossRef
- Hall B. Changing composition of human milk and early development of an appetite control. Lancet 1975;1:779–781. CrossRef
- Lucas A, Sarson DL, Blackburn AM, Adrian TE, Aynsley-Green A, Bloom SR. Breast vs. bottle: endocrine responses are different with formula feeding. Lancet 1980;1:1267–1269. CrossRef
- Oakley JR. Differences in subcutaneous fat in breast- and formula-fed infants. Arch Dis Child 1977;52:79–80. CrossRef
- Odeley OE, de Courten M, Pettitt DJ, Ravussin E. Fasting hyperinsulinemia is a predictor of increased body weight gain and obesity in Pima Indian children. Diabetes 1997;46:1341–1345. CrossRef
- Folsom AR, Vitelli LL, Lewis CE, Schreiner PJ, Watson RL, Wagenknecht LE. Is fasting insulin concentration inversely associated with rate of weight gain? Contrasting findings from the CARDIA and ARIC study cohorts. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:48–54. CrossRef
- Ravelli AC, van der Meulen JH, Osmond C, Barker DJ, Bleker OP. Infant feeding and adult glucose tolerance, lipid profile, blood pressure, and obesity. Arch Dis Child 2000;82:248–252. CrossRef
- Li R, Ogden C, Ballew C, Gillespie C, Grummer-Strawn L. Prevalence of exclusive breastfeeding among US infants: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (Phase II, 1991–1994). Am J Public Health 2002;92:1107–1110. CrossRef
- Ogden CL, Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999–2000. JAMA 2002;288:1728–1732. CrossRef
- Hebebrand J. Breast feeding and obesity. Prolonging breast feeding to reduce obesity may be a burden. BMJ 1999;319:1576.
- Hilson JA, Rasmussen KM, Kjolhede CL. Maternal obesity and breast-feeding success in a rural population of white women. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;66:1371–1378.
- Baranowski T, Bryan GT, Rassin DK, Harrison JA, Henske JC. Ethnicity, infant-feeding practices, and childhood adiposity. J Dev Behav Pediatr 1990;11:234–239. CrossRef
- Breast-feeding history and overweight in 11 to 13-year-old children in Iran
World Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 36-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- body mass index
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Yazd Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Yazd Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical sciences, Yazd, Iran