June 2010, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp 444-451,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 25 May 2010
Theoretical and experimental studies of Schottky diodes that use aligned arrays of single-walled carbon nanotubes
We present theoretical and experimental studies of Schottky diodes that use aligned arrays of single-walled carbon nanotubes. A simple physical model, taking into account the basic physics of current rectification, can adequately describe the single-tube and array devices. We show that for as-grown array diodes, the rectification ratio, defined by the maximum-to-minimum-current-ratio, is low due to the presence of metallic-single-walled nanotube (SWNT) shunts. These tubes can be eliminated in a single voltage sweep resulting in a high rectification array device. Further analysis also shows that the channel resistance, and not the intrinsic nanotube diode properties, limits the rectification in devices with channel length up to 10 μm.
These authors contributed equally to this work
Shockley, W. The theory of p-n junctions in semiconductors in p-n junction transistors. Bell Syst. Tech. J. 1949, 28, 435–489.
Wang, S.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, Z. Y.; Ding, L.; Zeng, Q. S.; Wang, Z. X.; Liang, X. L.; Gao, M.; Shen, J.; Xu, H. L.; Chen, Q.; Cui, R. L.; Li, Y.; Peng, L. M. Photovoltaic effects in asymetrically contacted CNT barrier free bipolar diode. J. Phys. Chem. C 2009, 113, 6891–6893.CrossRef
Wang, S.; Zhang, Z. Y.; Ding, L.; Liang, X. L.; Shen, J.; Xu, H. L.; Chen, Q.; Cui, R. L.; Li, Y.; Peng, L. M. A doping free carbon nanotube CMOS inverter-based bipolar diode and ambipolar transistor. Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 3258–3262.CrossRef
Kocabas, C.; Dunham, S.; Cao, Q.; Cimino, K.; Ho, X. N.; Kim, H. S.; Dawson, D.; Payne, J.; Stuenkel, M.; Zhang, H.; Banks, T.; Feng, M.; Rotkin, S. V.; Rogers, J. A. High frequency performance of submicrometer transistors that use aligned arrays of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Nano Lett. 2009, 9, 1937–1943.CrossRefPubMedADS
Amlani, L.; Lewis, J.; Lee, K.; Zhang, R.; Deng, J.; Wong, H. S. P. First demonstration of AC gain from a single walled carbon nanotube common-source amplifier, IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, San Francisco, USA, 2006, 1–2, 559–562.
Sze, S. M. Semiconductor Devices, Physics and Technology (2nd Edition); John Wiley and Sons, Inc.: USA, 2002.
Wolfram, S. Mathematica 7.0; Wolfram Research: Champaign, IL, USA, 2008.
Banwell, T. C.; Jayakumar, A. Exact analytical solution for current flow through diode with series resistance. Electron. Lett. 2000, 36, 291–292.CrossRef
Zhang, Z. Y.; Yao, K.; Liu, Y.; Jin, C. H.; Liang, X. L.; Chen, Q.; Peng, L. M. Quantitative analysis of current-voltage characteristics of semiconducting nanowires: Decoupling of contact effects. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2007, 17, 2478–2489.CrossRef
- Theoretical and experimental studies of Schottky diodes that use aligned arrays of single-walled carbon nanotubes
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 3, Issue 6 , pp 444-451
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Tsinghua Press
- Additional Links
- Schottky diodes
- aligned arrays
- single-walled carbon nanotubes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Beckman Institute, and Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1304 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois, 61801, USA
- 2. Department of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, 230026, China
- 3. Department of Physics, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 18015, USA
- 7. Centre for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 18015, USA
- 4. Center for Nanoscale Materials, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois, 60439, USA
- 5. Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, 61801, USA
- 6. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, 61801, USA