A novel method of reverse engineering using axiomatic design
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Reverse engineering has been widely used to analyze existing objects such as software systems, products, etc. The main purpose is obtaining information by disassembling a product and finding an improved design. Based on the disassembling work, research for a systematic analysis has been well developed, but reverse engineering has been rarely employed in finding a new (an improved) design of a complex and large scale product. Therefore, even though the ultimate goal of reverse engineering is an improved design (or redesign), the opportunity to make a new feature is rarely given. A novel method of reverse engineering is proposed by using the axiomatic design viewpoint. The method not only keeps the fundamental concept of reverse engineering, but also realizes a new (or improved) design according to proposed procedures such as inference, design improvement module and a qualitative evaluation. A complex and large scale product (a ceiling type air conditioning system) is chosen as a case study to validate the proposed method. As a result, useful information for a new (or improved) design is obtained and also a new part (filter cleaning system) is proposed. The methodology provides a good way to design a new (or improved) product.
- M. G. Rekoff, On reverse engineering, IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern., 15(2) (1985) 244–252. CrossRef
- K. A. Ingle, Reverse engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA (1994).
- L. D. Clive and L. D. Patrick, Engineering design; A project-based introduction, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA (2004).
- E. Eilam, Reversing: Secrets of reverse engineering, Wiley Publishing Inc, Indiana, USA (2005).
- E. J. Byrne, Software reverse engineering: a case study, Software Pract. Experience, 21(4) (1991) 1349–1364. CrossRef
- W. J. Premerlani and M. R. Blaha, An approach for reverse engineering of relational databases, Commun. ACM., 37(5) (1994) 42–49. CrossRef
- C. Bennett, D. Myers, M. A. Storey, D. M. German, D. Ouellet, M. Salois and P. Charland, A survey and evaluation of tool features for understanding reverse engineering sequence diagrams, J. Software Maintenance Evol.: Res. Pract., 20(4) (2008) 291–315. CrossRef
- Y. Zhang, Research into the engineering application of reverse engineering technology, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 139(1–3) (2003) 472–475. CrossRef
- W. B. Thompson, J. C. Owen, H. J. Germain, S. R. Stark and T. C. Henderson, Feature-based reverse engineering of mechanical parts, IEEE Trans. Rob. Autom., 15(1) (1999) 57–66. CrossRef
- S. B. Son, H. P. Park and K. H. Lee, Automated laser scanning system for reverse engineering and inspection, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., 42(8) (2002) 889–897. CrossRef
- V. Tut, A. Tulcan, C. Cosma and I. Serban, Application of CAD/CAM/FEA, reverse engineering and rapid prototyping in manufacturing industry, Int. J. Mech., 4(4) (2010) 79–86.
- N. Liangliang, L. Weijun and K. Zhang, Laser remanufacturing based on the integration of reverse engineering and laser cladding, Int. J. Comput. Appl. Technol., 40(4) (2011) 254–262. CrossRef
- K. N. Otto and K. L. Wood, Product evolution: a reverse engineering and redesign methodology, Res. Eng. Des., 10(4) (1996) 226–243. CrossRef
- K. N. Otto and K. L. Wood, Product Design; Techniques in Reverse Engineering and New Product Development, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA (2001).
- R. J. Urbanic and W. H. E. Maraghy, Using axiomatic design with the design recovery framework to provide a platform for subsequent design modifications, CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., 1(3) (2009) 165–171. CrossRef
- N. P. Suh, The principles of design, Oxford University Press, New York, USA (1990).
- N. P. Suh, Axiomatic design: Advances and applications, Oxford University Press, New York, USA (2001).
- N. P. Suh, Axiomatic design of mechanical systems, J. Mech. Des., 117(B) (1995) 1–10. CrossRef
- N. P. Suh, Axiomatic design theory for systems, Res. Eng. Des., 10(4) (1998) 189–209. CrossRef
- S. J. Chen, L. C. Chen and L. Lin, Knowledge-based support for simulation analysis of manufacturing cells, Comput. Ind. Eng., 44(1) (2001) 33–49. CrossRef
- S. H. Do and G. J. Park, Application of design axioms for glass bulb design and software development for design automation, J. Mech. Des., 123(3) (2001) 322–329. CrossRef
- N. P. Suh and S. H. Do, Axiomatic design of software systems, CIRP Manuf. Technol., 49(1) (2000) 95–100. CrossRef
- K. D. Lee, N. P. Suh and J. H. Oh, Axiomatic design of machine control system, CIRP Manuf. Technol., 50(1) (2001) 109–114. CrossRef
- O. Kulak, S. Cebi and C. Kahraman, Applications of axiomatic design principles: a literature review, Expert Syst. Appl., 37(9) (2010) 6705–6717. CrossRef
- S. J. Lee, E. P. Hong and G. J. Park, Design of a mount type HVAC control system using axiomatic design, Final Report for LG Electronics, Hanyang University, Korea (2008).
- D. W. Bearg, Indoor air quality and HVAC system, Lewis Publishers, Florida, USA (1993).
- L. Chen, F. Sun and C. Wu, Optimal allocation of heatexchanger area for refrigeration and air-conditioning plants, Appl. Energy., 77(3) (2004) 339–354. CrossRef
- J. K. Park and I. G. Huh, Introduction of system airconditioner, Sun-Hak Publishers, Incheon, Korea, (2010).
- G. J. Park, Analytic methods for design practice, Springer-Verlag, New York, USA (2007).
- E. P. Hong, S. J. Lee and G. J. Park, Automatic filter cleaning device for air conditioner, Korea Patent, 10-1116395 (2012).
- E. P. Hong, S. J. Lee and G. J. Park, Automatic filter cleaning device for ceiling type air conditioner, Korea Patent, 10-1116396 (2012).
- H. M. Koo, An experimental study of the noise and the performance of cross-flow fans in room air-conditioning systems, Noise Control Eng. J., 48(2) (2002) 41–47. CrossRef
- A. Elgowainy, D. Feinstein and I. Rodriguez, Performance analysis of axial fans in unitary air-conditioning systems, Proc. of 37th IEEE International Conference on Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering, Washington DC, USA (2002) 531–536.
- D. S. Parker, J. R. Sherwin and B. Hibbs, Development of high efficiency air conditioner condenser fans, ASHRAE Trans., 111(2) (2005) 511–520.
- A novel method of reverse engineering using axiomatic design
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 595-604
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Reverse engineering
- Axiomatic design
- Independence axiom
- Industry Sectors