Parametric optimization for surface roughness, kerf and MRR in wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM) using Taguchi design of experiment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper reports the effect and optimization of eight control factors on material removal rate (MRR), surface roughness and kerf in wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM) process for tool steel D2. The experimentation is performed under different cutting conditions of wire feed velocity, dielectric pressure, pulse on-time, pulse off-time, open voltage, wire tension and servo voltage by varying the material thickness. Taguchi’s L18 orthogonal array is employed for experimental design. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) and signal-tonoise (S/N) ratio are used as statistical analyses to identify the significant control factors and to achieve optimum levels respectively. Additionally, linear regression and additive models are developed for surface roughness, kerf and material removal rate (MRR). Results of the confirmatory experiments are found to be in good agreement with those predicted. It has been found that pulse on-time is the most significant factor affecting the surface roughness, kerf and material removal rate.
- Sanchez, J A, Plaza, S, Ortega, N, Marcos, M, Albizuri, J (2008) Experimental and numerical study of angular error in wire-EDM taper cutting. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 48: pp. 1420-1428 CrossRef
- Hsue, A W J, H. C., (2004) Removal analysis of WEDM’s tapering process and its application to generation of precise conjugate surface. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 149: pp. 117-123 CrossRef
- Ho, K H, Newman, S T, Rahimifard, S, Allen, R D (2004) State of the art in wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM). International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 44: pp. 1247-1259 CrossRef
- Rakwal, D, Bamberg, E (2009) Slicing, cleaning and kerf analysis of germanium wafers machined by wire electrical discharge machining. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209: pp. 3740-3751 CrossRef
- Kalpakjian, S, Schmid, S R (2006) Manufacturing engineering and technology. Pearson Education, South Asia
- Spedding, T A, Wang, Z Q (1997) Parametric optimization and surface characterization of wire electrical discharge machining process. Precision Engineering 20: pp. 5-15 CrossRef
- Gökler, M İ, Ozanözgü, A M (2000) Experimental investigation of effects of cutting parameters on surface roughness in the WEDM process. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 40: pp. 1831-1848 CrossRef
- Liao, Y S, Huang, J T, Chen, Y H (2004) A study to achieve fine surface finish in Wire-EDM. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 149: pp. 165-171 CrossRef
- Tosun, N, Cogun, C, Tosun, G (2004) A study on kerf and material removal rate in wire electrical discharge machining based on Taguchi method. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 152: pp. 316-322 CrossRef
- Kanlayasiriand, K, Boonmung, S (2007) Effects of wire-EDM machining variables on surface roughness of newly developed DC 53 die steel: Design of experiment and regression model. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 192–193: pp. 459-464 CrossRef
- Di, S, Chu, X, Wei, D, Wang, Z, Chi, G, Liu, Y (2009) Analysis of kerf width in micro-WEDM. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 49: pp. 788-792 CrossRef
- Shackelford, J F (2005) Introduction to materials science for engineers.
- Shah, A, Mufti, N A, Rakwal, D, Bamberg, E (2009) Material removal rate, kerf, surface roughness of tungsten carbide machined with wire electrical discharge machining. Journal of Materials Engineering & Performance 20: pp. 71-76 CrossRef
- Properties and selection: iron, steel and high performance alloys.
- Ross, P J (1996) Taguchi techniques for quality engineering.
- Besterfield, D, Besterfield-Michna, C, Besterfield, G H, Besterfield-Sacre, M, Urdhwareshe, H, Urdhwarshe, R (2012) Total quality management.
- Gauri, S K, Chakraborty, S (2010) A study on the performance of some multi-response optimization methods for WEDM processes. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing & Technology 49: pp. 155-166 CrossRef
- Mohammadi, A, Tehrani, A F, Emanian, E, Karimi, D (2007) A new approach to surface roughness and roundness improvement in wire electrical discharge turning based on statistical analyses. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing & Technology 39: pp. 64-73 CrossRef
- Marafona, D J, Araujo, A (2009) Influence of work-piece hardness on EDM performance. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 49: pp. 744-748 CrossRef
- Parametric optimization for surface roughness, kerf and MRR in wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM) using Taguchi design of experiment
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 27, Issue 7 , pp 2133-2141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Surface roughness
- Taguchi method
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1526. Faculty of Engineering & Technology, University of Gujrat, Hafiz Hayat Campus Jalalpur, Jattan Road, Gujrat, Pakistan
- 2526. Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology, G.T. Road, Lahore, 54890, Pakistan
- 3526. Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Rachna College of Engineering & Technology, Gujranwala, Pakistan