Temperature and thickness effects on thermal and mechanical stresses of rotating FG-disks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present paper, radial and hoop thermal and mechanical stress analysis of a rotating disk made of functionally graded material (FGM) with variable thickness is carried out by using finite element method (FEM). To model the disk by FEM, one-dimensional two-degree elements with three nodes are used. It is assumed that the material properties, such as elastic modulus, Poisson’s ratio and thermal expansion coefficient, are considered to vary using a power law function in the radial direction. The geometrical and boundary conditions are in the shape of two models including thermal stress (model-A) and mechanical stress (model-B). In model-A there exists no pressure in both external and internal layers, and there is a temperature distribution considered as a second order function in the radial direction of the rotating disk. In this case, the temperature dependency of the material properties is considered and a hyperbolic type is assumed for the geometry of the disk. In model-B, there is a constant pressure only on the internal layer and a pressure on the internal layer of the disk without temperature distribution but with different types of surface profiles. Furthermore, the displacements and stresses for various power law indices (N) and angular velocities are calculated and compared to other results in the literature. The effect of varying thicknesses and dependency of material properties on temperature distribution is investigated.
- S. Suresh and A. Mortensen, Fundamental of functionally graded materials, Barnes and Noble Publication (1998).
- You, L. H., Wang, J. X., Tang, B. P. (2009) Deformations and stresses in annular disks made of functionally graded materials subjected to internal and/or external pressure. Meccanica 44: pp. 283-292 CrossRef
- Koizumi, M., Niino, M. (1995) Overview of FGM research in Japan. MRS Bulletin 20: pp. 19-21
- Kaysser, W. A., Ilschner, B. (1995) FGM research activities in Europe. MRS Bulletin 20: pp. 22-26
- Research on the basic technology for the development of functionally graded materials for relaxation of thermal stress, Science on Technology Agency of Japanese Government Report (1987).
- Timoshenko, S. P., Goodier, J. N. (1987) Theory of elasticity. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Lekhnitskii, S. G. (1968) Anisotropic plates. Gordon and Breach, London
- Seireg, A., Surana, K. S. (1970) Optimum design of rotating disks. Journal of Engineering 92: pp. 1-10
- Murthy, D. N. S., Sherbourne, A. N. (1970) Elastic stresses in anisotropic disks of variable axial. Journal of Mechanical Science 12: pp. 627-640 CrossRef
- Yeh, K. Y., Han, R. P. S. (1994) Analysis of high-speed rotating disks with variable axial and in-homogeneity. Journal of Applied Mechanics 61: pp. 186-191 CrossRef
- Azadi, M., Azadi, M. (2009) Nonlinear transient heat transfer and thermoelastic analysis of thick-walled FGM cylinder with temperature-dependent material properties using Hermitian transfinite element. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 23: pp. 2635-2644 CrossRef
- Azadi, M., Shariyat, M. (2010) Nonlinear transient transfinite element thermal analysis of thick-walled FGM cylinders with temperature-dependent material properties. Meccanica 453: pp. 305-318 CrossRef
- M. Azadi and M. Damircheli, Nonlinear thermoelastic stress analysis of the rotating FGM disks with variable thickness and temperature-dependent material properties using finite element method, Proceeding of the 14-th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, No. IMECE2009-12204, Lake Buena Vista, Florid, USA (2009).
- Leissa, A. W., Vagins, M. (1987) The design of orthotropic materials for stress optimization. Journal of Solids Structures 14: pp. 517-526 CrossRef
- Jain, R., Ramachandra, K., Simha, K. R. Y. (1999) Rotating anisotropic disc of uniform strength. Journal of Mechanical Science 41: pp. 639-648 CrossRef
- Jain, R., Ramachandra, K., Simha, K. R. Y. (2000) Singularity in rotating orthotropic discs and shells. Journal of Solids Structures 37: pp. 2035-2058 CrossRef
- Zhou, F., Ogawa, A. (2002) Elastic solutions for a solid rotating disk with cubic anisotropy. Journal of Applied Mechanics 69: pp. 81-83 CrossRef
- Ramu, S. A., Iyengar, K. J. (1974) Quasi-three dimensional elastic stresses in rotating disks. Journal of Mechanical Science 16: pp. 473-477 CrossRef
- Chen, W. Q., Lee, K. Y. (2004) Stresses in rotating cross-ply laminated hollow cylinders with arbitrary axial. Journal of Strain Analysis 39: pp. 437-445 CrossRef
- Mian, M. A., Spencer, A. J. M. (1998) Exact solutions for functionally graded and laminated elastic materials. Journal of Solid Mechanics 46: pp. 2283-2295 CrossRef
- Chen, J., Ding, H., Chen, W. (2007) Three-dimensional analytical solution for a rotating disc of functionally graded materials with transverse isotropy. Journal of Applied Mechanics 77: pp. 241-251
- A. M. Zenkour, Stress distribution in rotating composite structures of functionally graded solid disks, Journal of Materials Processing Technology (2008), DOI: 10.1016/ j.jmatprotec.2008.08.008.
- Bayat, M., Saleem, M., Sahari, B. B., Hamouda, A. M. S., Mahdi, E. (2008) Analysis of functionally graded rotating disks with variable thickness. Mechanics Research Communications 35: pp. 283-309 CrossRef
- M. Bayat, B. B. Sahari, M. Saleem, A. Ali and S. V. Wong, Thermoelastic solution of a functionally graded variable thickness rotating disk with bending based on the first-order sheared formation theory, Journal of Thin-Walled Structures (2008), DOI: 10.1016/j.tws.2008.10.002.
- Chen, J., Ding, H., Chen, W. (2007) Three-dimensional analytical solution for a rotating disc of functionally graded materials with transverse isotropy. Archive of Applied Mechanics 77: pp. 241-251 CrossRef
- Reddy, J. N., Chin, C. D. (1998) Thermo-mechanical analysis of functionally graded cylinders and plates. Journal of Thermal Stresses 21: pp. 593-626 CrossRef
- Budynas, R. G. (1977) Advanced Strength and Applied Stress Analysis. McGraw-Hill Kogakusha, Ltd., Tokyo
- T. J. R. Hughes, The finite element method, Prentice-Hall International Inc. (1987).
- J. N. Reddy, An introduction to the finite element method, McGraw-Hill Institute (1993).
- A. P. Boresi and K. P. Chong, Elasticity in engineering mechanics, second edition, A Wily-Interscience publication (2000).
- Temperature and thickness effects on thermal and mechanical stresses of rotating FG-disks
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 25, Issue 3 , pp 827-836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Finite element method
- Functional graded material
- Rotating disk
- Variable thickness
- Temperature dependency
- Industry Sectors