Temperature and thickness effects on thermal and mechanical stresses of rotating FG-disks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present paper, radial and hoop thermal and mechanical stress analysis of a rotating disk made of functionally graded material (FGM) with variable thickness is carried out by using finite element method (FEM). To model the disk by FEM, one-dimensional two-degree elements with three nodes are used. It is assumed that the material properties, such as elastic modulus, Poisson’s ratio and thermal expansion coefficient, are considered to vary using a power law function in the radial direction. The geometrical and boundary conditions are in the shape of two models including thermal stress (model-A) and mechanical stress (model-B). In model-A there exists no pressure in both external and internal layers, and there is a temperature distribution considered as a second order function in the radial direction of the rotating disk. In this case, the temperature dependency of the material properties is considered and a hyperbolic type is assumed for the geometry of the disk. In model-B, there is a constant pressure only on the internal layer and a pressure on the internal layer of the disk without temperature distribution but with different types of surface profiles. Furthermore, the displacements and stresses for various power law indices (N) and angular velocities are calculated and compared to other results in the literature. The effect of varying thicknesses and dependency of material properties on temperature distribution is investigated.
- S. Suresh and A. Mortensen, Fundamental of functionally graded materials, Barnes and Noble Publication (1998).
- L. H. You, J. X. Wang and B. P. Tang, Deformations and stresses in annular disks made of functionally graded materials subjected to internal and/or external pressure, Meccanica, 44 (2009) 283–292. CrossRef
- M. Koizumi and M. Niino, Overview of FGM research in Japan, MRS Bulletin, 20 (1995) 19–21.
- W. A. Kaysser and B. Ilschner, FGM research activities in Europe, MRS Bulletin, 20 (1995) 22–26.
- Research on the basic technology for the development of functionally graded materials for relaxation of thermal stress, Science on Technology Agency of Japanese Government Report (1987).
- S. P. Timoshenko and J. N. Goodier, Theory of elasticity, McGraw-Hill, New York (1987).
- S. G. Lekhnitskii, Anisotropic plates, Gordon and Breach, London (1968).
- A. Seireg and K. S. Surana, Optimum design of rotating disks, Journal of Engineering, 92 (1970) 1–10.
- D. N. S. Murthy and A. N. Sherbourne, Elastic stresses in anisotropic disks of variable axial, Journal of Mechanical Science, 12 (1970) 627–640. CrossRef
- K. Y. Yeh and R. P. S. Han, Analysis of high-speed rotating disks with variable axial and in-homogeneity, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 61 (1994) 186–191. CrossRef
- M. Azadi and M. Azadi, Nonlinear transient heat transfer and thermoelastic analysis of thick-walled FGM cylinder with temperature-dependent material properties using Hermitian transfinite element, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 23 (2009) 2635–2644. CrossRef
- M. Azadi and M. Shariyat, Nonlinear transient transfinite element thermal analysis of thick-walled FGM cylinders with temperature-dependent material properties, Meccanica, 45:3 (2010) 305–318, DOI: 10.1007/s11012-009-9249-4. CrossRef
- M. Azadi and M. Damircheli, Nonlinear thermoelastic stress analysis of the rotating FGM disks with variable thickness and temperature-dependent material properties using finite element method, Proceeding of the 14-th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, No. IMECE2009-12204, Lake Buena Vista, Florid, USA (2009).
- A. W. Leissa and M. Vagins, The design of orthotropic materials for stress optimization, Journal of Solids Structures, 14 (1987) 517–526. CrossRef
- R. Jain, K. Ramachandra and K. R. Y. Simha, Rotating anisotropic disc of uniform strength, Journal of Mechanical Science, 41 (1999) 639–648. CrossRef
- R. Jain, K. Ramachandra and K. R. Y. Simha, Singularity in rotating orthotropic discs and shells, Journal of Solids Structures, 37 (2000) 2035–2058. CrossRef
- F. Zhou and A. Ogawa, Elastic solutions for a solid rotating disk with cubic anisotropy, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 69 (2002) 81–83. CrossRef
- S. A. Ramu and K. J. Iyengar, Quasi-three dimensional elastic stresses in rotating disks, Journal of Mechanical Science, 16 (1974) 473–477. CrossRef
- W. Q. Chen and K. Y. Lee, Stresses in rotating cross-ply laminated hollow cylinders with arbitrary axial, Journal of Strain Analysis, 39 (2004) 437–445. CrossRef
- M. A. Mian and A. J. M. Spencer, Exact solutions for functionally graded and laminated elastic materials, Journal of Solid Mechanics, 46 (1998) 2283–2295. CrossRef
- J. Chen, H. Ding and W. Chen, Three-dimensional analytical solution for a rotating disc of functionally graded materials with transverse isotropy, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 77 (2007) 241–251.
- A. M. Zenkour, Stress distribution in rotating composite structures of functionally graded solid disks, Journal of Materials Processing Technology (2008), DOI: 10.1016/ j.jmatprotec.2008.08.008.
- M. Bayat, M. Saleem, B. B. Sahari, A. M. S. Hamouda and E. Mahdi, Analysis of functionally graded rotating disks with variable thickness, Mechanics Research Communications, 35 (2008) 283–309. CrossRef
- M. Bayat, B. B. Sahari, M. Saleem, A. Ali and S. V. Wong, Thermoelastic solution of a functionally graded variable thickness rotating disk with bending based on the first-order sheared formation theory, Journal of Thin-Walled Structures (2008), DOI: 10.1016/j.tws.2008.10.002.
- J. Chen, H. Ding and W. Chen, Three-dimensional analytical solution for a rotating disc of functionally graded materials with transverse isotropy, Archive of Applied Mechanics, 77 (2007) 241–251. CrossRef
- J. N. Reddy and C. D. Chin, Thermo-mechanical analysis of functionally graded cylinders and plates, Journal of Thermal Stresses, 21 (1998) 593–626. CrossRef
- R. G. Budynas, Advanced Strength and Applied Stress Analysis, McGraw-Hill Kogakusha, Ltd., Tokyo (1977).
- T. J. R. Hughes, The finite element method, Prentice-Hall International Inc. (1987).
- J. N. Reddy, An introduction to the finite element method, McGraw-Hill Institute (1993).
- A. P. Boresi and K. P. Chong, Elasticity in engineering mechanics, second edition, A Wily-Interscience publication (2000).
- Temperature and thickness effects on thermal and mechanical stresses of rotating FG-disks
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 25, Issue 3 , pp 827-836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Finite element method
- Functional graded material
- Rotating disk
- Variable thickness
- Temperature dependency
- Industry Sectors