Optimization of EDM process for multiple performance characteristics using Taguchi method and Grey relational analysis
Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is one of the most extensively used non-conventional material removal processes. The Taguchi method has been utilized to determine the optimal EDM conditions in several industrial fields. The method, however, was designed to optimize only a single performance characteristic. To remove that limitation, the Grey relational analysis theory has been used to resolve the complicated interrelationships among the multiple performance characteristics. In the present study, we attempted to find the optimal machining conditions under which the micro-hole can be formed to a minimum diameter and a maximum aspect ratio. The Taguchi method was used to determine the relations between machining parameters and process characteristics. It was found that electrode wear and the entrance and exit clearances had a significant effect on the diameter of the micro-hole when the diameter of the electrode was identical. Grey relational analysis was used to determine the optimal machining parameters, among which the input voltage and the capacitance were found to be the most significant. The obtained optimal machining conditions were an input voltage of 60V, a capacitance of 680pF, a resistance of 500Ω, the feed rate of 1.5μm/s and a spindle speed of 1500rpm. Under these conditions, a micro-hole of 40μm average diameter and 10 aspect ratio could be machined.
- H. S. Lim, Y. S. Wong, M. Rahman and M. K. Edwin Lee, A study on the machining of high-aspect ratio microstructure using micro-EDM, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 140 (2003) 318–325. CrossRef
- K. H. Ho and S. T. Newman, State of the art electrical discharge machining (EDM), Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., 43 (2003) 1287–1300. CrossRef
- T. Masuzawa, M. Fujino and K. Kobayashi, Wire Electro-discharge grinding for Micro-machining, Ann CIRP., 34(1) (1985) 431–434. CrossRef
- T. Masuzawa, C. L. Kuo and M. Fujino, A combined Electrical Machining Process for Micro Nozzle Fabrication, Ann CIRP., 43(1) (1994) 189–192. CrossRef
- Z. Y. Yu, T. Masuzawa and M. Fujino, Micro-EDM for Three-dimensional Cavities-development of Uniform wear method, Ann CIRP., 47(1) (1998) 169–172. CrossRef
- C. L. Kuo and T. Masuzawa, a Micro-pipe fabrication process, Proc. IEEE MEMS’ 91, 80–85.
- D. M. Allen and A. Lecheheb, Micro Electo-discharge Machining of Ink Jet Nozzle: Optimum Selection of Material and Machining Parameter, J. Mat. Proc. Tech., 58 (1996) 53–63. CrossRef
- H. S. Liu, B. H. Yan, C. L. Chen and F. Y. Huang, Application of micro-EDM combined with high-frequency dither grinding to micro-hole machining, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., 46 (2006) 80–87. CrossRef
- M. P. Jahan, Y. S. Wong and M. Rahman, A study on the quality micro-hole machining of tungsten carbide micro-EDM process using transistor and RC-type pulse generator, Int. Mater. Proc. Tech., 209 (2009) 1706–1716. CrossRef
- D. W. Seo, M. S. Park, S. M. Yi and C. N. Chu, Machining Characteristics of Micro-EDMed holes According to Dielectric Fluid, Capacitance and Ultrasonic Vibration, J. Korean Soc. Precision Eng., 24 (2007) 42–29.
- G. M. Kim, B. H. Kim and C. N. Chu, Machining Rate and Electrode Wear Characteristics in Micro-EDM of Microhole, J. Korean Soc. Precision Eng., 16 (1999) 94–100.
- Y. S. Liao, J. T. Huang and H. C. Su, A study on the machining-parameters optimization of wire electrical discharge machining, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 71 (1997) 487–493. CrossRef
- Y. C. Lin, B. H. Yan and F. Y. Huang, Surface modification of Al-Zn-Mg aluminum alloy using combined processes of EDM with USM, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 115 (2001) 359–366. CrossRef
- J. Deng, Introduction to Grey system, J. of Grey System, 1(1) (1989) 1–24.
- J. L. Lin and C. L. Lin, The use of the orthogonal array with Grey relational analysis to optimize the electrical discharge machining process with multiple performance characteristics, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., 42 (2002) 237–244. CrossRef
- P. N. Singh, K. Raghukandan and B. C. Pai, Optimization by Grey relational analysis of EDM parameters on machining Al-10% SiCp composites, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 155–156 (2004) 1658–1661. CrossRef
- P. J. Cho, Characteristics of RC circuit with Transistor in Micro-EDM, Seoul National University (2003) Ph. D. Dissertation.
- J. S. Soni and G Chakraverti, Machining characteristics of titanium with rotary electro-discharge machining, Wear, 171 (1994) 51–58. CrossRef
- Optimization of EDM process for multiple performance characteristics using Taguchi method and Grey relational analysis
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 24, Issue 5 , pp 1083-1090
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Electrical discharge machining (EDM)
- Taguchi method
- Grey relational analysis
- Industry Sectors