Border between aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndrome
Distinguishing between acquired aplastic anemia (AA) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) with a low blast cell percentage is often difficult and problematic, as both diseases are syndromes primarily defined by morphological findings, and their diagnostic criteria do not necessarily reflect the pathophysiology of their bone marrow (BM) failure. As a result, many patients with benign BM failure that should be managed as AA are diagnosed as having MDS, due to the absence of BM hypocellularity and the presence of dysplastic signs in the BM, and are treated inappropriately with toxic therapies, such as hypomethylating agents, and stem cell transplantation from unrelated donors. BM failure syndromes need to be managed in ways appropriate to their pathophysiology, which is more accurately determined by using markers such as the presence of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored protein-deficient cells and HLA-A lacking leukocytes. We recently found that plasma thromobopoietin level is one of the most useful markers for distinguishing benign and pre-leukemic BM failure syndromes.
- International Agranulocytosis and Aplastic Anemia Study. Incidence of aplastic anemia: the relevance of diagnostic criteria. By the International Agranulocytosis and Aplastic Anemia Study. Blood. 1987;70:1718–21.
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, Flandrin G, Galton DA, Gralnick HR, et al. Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol. 1982;51:189–99.
- Barrett J, Saunthararajah Y, Molldrem J. Myelodysplastic syndrome and aplastic anemia: distinct entities or diseases linked by a common pathophysiology? Semin Hematol. 2000;37:15–29. CrossRef
- Sakaguchi H, Nakanishi K, Kojima S. Inherited bone marrow failure syndromes in 2012. Int J Hematol. 2013;97:20–9. CrossRef
- Nakao S, Sugimori C, Yamazaki H. Clinical significance of a small population of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria-type cells in the management of bone marrow failure. Int J Hematol. 2006;84:118–22. CrossRef
- Bain BJ. The bone marrow aspirate of healthy subjects. Br J Haematol. 1996;94:206–9. CrossRef
- Parmentier S, Schetelig J, Lorenz K, Kramer M, Ireland R, Schuler U, et al. Assessment of dysplastic hematopoiesis: lessons from healthy bone marrow donors. Haematologica. 2012;97:723–30. CrossRef
- Wang H, Chuhjo T, Yasue S, Omine M, Nakao S. Clinical significance of a minor population of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria-type cells in bone marrow failure syndrome. Blood. 2002;100:3897–902. CrossRef
- Sugimori C, Mochizuki K, Qi Z, Sugimori N, Ishiyama K, Kondo Y, et al. Origin and fate of blood cells deficient in glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored protein among patients with bone marrow failure. Br J Haematol. 2009;147:102–12. CrossRef
- Miescher PA, Favre H, Beris P. Autoimmune myelodysplasias. Semin Hematol. 1991;28:322–30.
- Emmons RV, Reid DM, Cohen RL, Meng G, Young NS, Dunbar CE, et al. Human thrombopoietin levels are high when thrombocytopenia is due to megakaryocyte deficiency and low when due to increased platelet destruction. Blood. 1996;87:4068–71.
- Seiki Y, Sasaki Y, Hosokawa K, Saito C, Sugimori N, Yamazaki H, et al. Increased plasma thrombopoietin levels in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome: a reliable marker for a benign subset of bone marrow failure. Haematologica. 2013.
- Hou M, Andersson PO, Stockelberg D, Mellqvist UH, Ridell B, Wadenvik H. Plasma thrombopoietin levels in thrombocytopenic states: implication for a regulatory role of bone marrow megakaryocytes. Br J Haematol. 1998;101:420–4. CrossRef
- Feng X, Scheinberg P, Wu CO, Samsel L, Nunez O, Prince C, et al. Cytokine signature profiles in acquired aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndromes. Haematologica. 2011;96:602–6. CrossRef
- Greenberg PL, Attar E, Battiwalla M, Bennett JM, Bloomfield CD, DeCastro CM, et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes. J Natl Compr Cancer Network: JNCCN. 2008;6:902–26.
- Border between aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndrome
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 97, Issue 5 , pp 558-563
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Acquired aplastic anemia
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- GPI-AP-deficient cells
- Plasma thrombopoietin level
- Immunosuppressive therapy
- Industry Sectors