Conscientiousness and Medication Adherence: A Meta-analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Approximately a quarter to a half of all people fail to take their medication regimen as prescribed (i.e. non-adherence). Conscientiousness, from the five-factor model of personality, has been positively linked to adherence to medications in several recent studies.
This study aimed to systematically estimate the strength and variability of this association across multiple published articles and to identify moderators of this relationship.
A literature search identified 16 studies (N = 3,476) that met the study eligibility criteria. Estimates of effect sizes (r) obtained in these studies were meta-analysed.
Overall, a higher level of conscientiousness was associated with better medication adherence (r = 0.15; 95 % CI, 0.09, 0.21). Associations were significantly stronger in younger samples (r = 0.26, 95 % CI, 0.17, 0.34; k = 7).
The small association between conscientiousness and medication adherence may have clinical significance in contexts where small differences in adherence result in clinically important effects.
- Brown MT, Bussell JK. Medication adherence: WHO cares? Mayo Clin Proc. 2011;86:304-314. CrossRef
- DiMatteo MR. Variations in patients’ adherence to medical recommendations: A quantitative review of 50 years of research. Med Care. 2004;42:200-209. CrossRef
- Sabaté E. Adherence to long-term therapies: Evidence for action. Geneva: WHO; 2003.
- DiMatteo MR, Giordani PJ, Lepper HS, Croghan TW. Patient adherence and medical treatment outcomes: A meta-analysis. Med Care. 2002;40:794-811. CrossRef
- O’Carroll R, Whittaker J, Hamilton B, et al. Predictors of adherence to secondary preventive medication in stroke patients. Ann Behav Med. 2011;41:383-390. CrossRef
- Claxton AJ, Cramer J, Pierce C. A systematic review of the associations between dose regimens and medication compliance. Clin Ther. 2001;23:1296-1310. CrossRef
- Cutler DM, Everett W. Thinking outside the pillbox-medication adherence as a priority for health care reform. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:1553-1555. CrossRef
- Osterberg L, Blaschke T. Adherence to medication. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:487-497. CrossRef
- Ferguson E. Personality is of central concern to understand health:towards a theoretical model for health psychology. Health Psych Rev. 2013;7:S32-S70.
- Friedman HS. Long-term relations of personality and health: Dynamisms, mechanisms, tropisms. J Pers. 2000;68:1089-1107. CrossRef
- Molloy GJ, Randall G, Wikman A, et al. Type D personality, self-efficacy, and medication adherence following an acute coronary syndrome. Psychosom Med. 2012;74:100-106. CrossRef
- Martin LR, Friedman HS, Schwartz JE. Personality and mortality risk across the life span: The importance of conscientiousness as a biopsychosocial attribute. Health Psychol. 2007;26:428-436. CrossRef
- Bogg T, Roberts BW. The case for conscientiousness: Evidence and implications for a personality trait marker of health and longevity. Ann Behav Med. 2013;45:278-288. CrossRef
- Lodi-Smith J, Jackson J, Bogg T, et al. Mechanisms of health: Education and health-related behaviours partially mediate the relationship between conscientiousness and self-reported physical health. Psychol Health. 2010;25:305-319. CrossRef
- John OP, Srivastava S. The Big Five trait taxonomy: History, measurement, and theoretical perspectives. In: Pervin LA, John OP, eds. Handbook of personality. Theory & research. London: The Guilford Press; 1999:102-138.
- Sniehotta FF, Nagy G, Scholz U, Schwarzer R. The role of action control in implementing intentions during the first weeks of behaviour change. Brit J Soc Psychol. 2006;45:87-106. CrossRef
- Hofmann W, Baumeister RF, Forster G, Vohs KD. Everyday temptations: An experience sampling study of desire, conflict, and self-control. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2012;102:1318-1335. CrossRef
- Daly M, Baumeister RF, Delaney L, Maclachlan M. Self-control and its relation to emotions and psychobiology: Evidence from a Day Reconstruction Method study. J Behav Med. In press
- Bogg T, Roberts BW. Conscientiousness and health-related behaviors: A meta-analysis of the leading behavioral contributors to mortality. Psychol Bull. 2004;130:887-919. CrossRef
- Christensen AJ, Smith TW. Personality and patient adherence: Correlates of the five-factor model in renal dialysis. J Behav Med. 1995;18:305-313. CrossRef
- Marteau TM, Hollands GJ, Fletcher PC. Changing human behavior to prevent disease: The importance of targeting automatic processes. Science. 2012;337:1492-1495. CrossRef
- Sheeran P, Gollwitzer PM, Bargh JA. Nonconscious Processes and Health. Health Psychol. 2013;32:460-473.
- Strack F, Deutsch R. Reflective and impulsive determinants of social behavior. Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2004;8:220-247. CrossRef
- Matthews G, Zeidner M. Individual differences in attentional networks: Trait and state correlates of the ANT. Pers Individ Dif. 2012;53:574-579. CrossRef
- Costa PT, McCrae RR. NEO PI-R professional manual. Odessa: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc; 1992.
- DeYoung CG, Quilty LC, Peterson JB. Between facets and domains: 10 aspects of the Big Five. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2007;93:880-896. CrossRef
- Zogg JB, Woods SP, Sauceda JA, Wiebe JS, Simoni JM. The role of prospective memory in medication adherence: A review of an emerging literature. J Behav Med. 2012;35:47-62. CrossRef
- Studer-Luethi B, Jaeggi SM, Buschkuehl M, Perrig WJ. Influence of neuroticism and conscientiousness on working memory training outcome. Pers Individ Dif. 2012;53:44-49. CrossRef
- Rose CL, Murphy LB, Byard L, Nikzad K. The role of the big five personality factors in vigilance performance and workload. Eur J Pers. 2002;16:185-200. CrossRef
- Ackerman PL, Heggestad ED. Intelligence, personality, and interests: Evidence for overlapping traits. Psychol Bull. 1997;121:219-245. CrossRef
- Fong EA, Tosi HL. Effort, performance, and conscientiousness: An agency theory perspective. J Manag. 2007;33:161-179.
- Chatzisarantis NLD, Hagger MS. Influences of personality traits and continuation intentions on physical activity participation within the theory of planned behaviour. Psychol Health. 2008;23:347-367. CrossRef
- DiMatteo MR. Social support and patient adherence to medical treatment: A meta-analysis. Health Psychol. 2004;23:207-218. CrossRef
- DiMatteo MR, Lepper HS, Croghan TW. Depression is a risk factor for noncompliance with medical treatment: Meta-analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:2101-2107. CrossRef
- Borenstein M. Introduction to meta-analysis. Oxford: Wiley; 2009. CrossRef
- Kahneman D, Krueger AB, Schkade D, Schwarz N, Stone AA. Would you be happier if you were richer? A focusing illusion. Science. 2006;312:1908-1910. CrossRef
- Cohen J. A power primer. Psychol Bull. 1992;112:155-159. CrossRef
- Roberts BW, Walton KE, Bogg T. Conscientiousness and health across the life course. Rev Gen Psychol. 2005;9:156-168. CrossRef
- DiMatteo MR, Haskard KB, Williams SL. Health beliefs, disease severity, and patient adherence: A meta-analysis. Med Care. 2007;45:521-528. CrossRef
- Cohen NL, Ross EC, Bagby RM, Farvolden P, Kennedy SH. The 5-factor model of personality and antidepressant medication compliance. Can J Psychiatry. 2004;49:106-113.
- Penedo FJ, Gonzalez JS, Dahn JR, et al. Personality, quality of life and HAART adherence among men and women living with HIV/AIDS. J Psychosom Res. 2003;54:271-278. CrossRef
- Bruce JM, Hancock LM, Arnett P, Lynch S. Treatment adherence in multiple sclerosis: Association with emotional status, personality, and cognition. J Behav Med. 2010;33:219-227. CrossRef
- Grenard JL, Munjas BA, Adams JL, et al. Depression and medication adherence in the treatment of chronic diseases in the United States: A meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:1175-1182. CrossRef
- Friedman HS, Tucker JS, Tomlinson-Keasey C, et al. Does childhood personality predict longevity? J Pers Soc Psychol. 1993;65:176-185. CrossRef
- Hagger-Johnson G, Sabia S, Nabi H, et al. Low conscientiousness and risk of all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality over 17 years: Whitehall II cohort study. J Psychosom Res. 2012;73:98-103. CrossRef
- Christensen AJ, Ehlers SL, Wiebe JS, et al. Patient personality and mortality: A 4-year prospective examination of chronic renal insufficiency. Health Psychol. 2002;21:315-320. CrossRef
- Hill PL, Turiano NA, Hurd MD, Mroczek DK, Roberts BW. Conscientiousness and longevity: An examination of possible mediators. Health Psychol. 2011;30:536-541. CrossRef
- Hill PL, Roberts BW. The role of adherence in the relationship between conscientiousness and perceived health. Health Psychol. 2011;30:797-804. CrossRef
- Molloy GJ, O’Carroll RE, Witham MD, McMurdo ME. Interventions to enhance adherence to medications in patients with heart failure: A systematic review. Circ Heart Fail. 2012;5:126-133. CrossRef
- Haynes RB, Ackloo E, Sahota N, McDonald HP, Yao X. Interventions for enhancing medication adherence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008:CD000011.
- Bailey JE, Wan JY, Tang J, Ghani MA, Cushman WC. Antihypertensive medication adherence, ambulatory visits, and risk of stroke and death. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;25:495-503. CrossRef
- Kimmel SE, Chen Z, Price M, et al. The influence of patient adherence on anticoagulation control with warfarin: Results from the International Normalized Ratio Adherence and Genetics (IN-RANGE) Study. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:229-235. CrossRef
- O’Cleirigh C, Ironson G, Weiss A, Costa PT. Conscientiousness predicts disease progression (CD4 number and viral load) in people living with HIV. Health Psychol. 2007;26:473-480. CrossRef
- O’Connor DB, Conner M, Jones F, McMillan B, Ferguson E. Exploring the benefits of conscientiousness: An investigation of the role of daily stressors and health behaviors. Ann Behav Med. 2009;37:184-196. CrossRef
- Christensen AJ, Moran PJ, Wiebe JS. Assessment of irrational health beliefs: Relation to health practices and medical regimen adherence. Health Psychol. 1999;18:169-176. CrossRef
- Doyle F, McGee HM, De La Harpe D, Shelley E, Conroy R. The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale depression subscale, but not the Beck Depression Inventory-Fast Scale, identifies patients with acute coronary syndrome at elevated risk of 1-year mortality. J Psychosom Res. 2006;60:461-467. CrossRef
- Haslam N, Holland E, Kuppens P. Categories versus dimensions in personality and psychopathology: A quantitative review of taxometric research. Psychol Med. 2012;42:903-920. CrossRef
- Ferguson E, Williams L, O’Connor RC, et al. A taxometric analysis of type-D personality. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:981-986. CrossRef
- Ferguson E. A taxometric analysis of health anxiety. Psychol Med. 2009;39:277-285. CrossRef
- Martel MM, Goth-Owens T, Martinez-Torteya C, Nigg JT. A person-centered personality approach to heterogeneity in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). J Abnorm Psychol. 2010;119:186-196. CrossRef
- Abraham C, Michie S. A taxonomy of behavior change techniques used in interventions. Health Psychol. 2008;27:379-387. CrossRef
- Brown I, Sheeran P, Reuber M. Enhancing antiepileptic drug adherence: A randomized controlled trial. Epilepsy Behav. 2009;16:634-639. CrossRef
- O’Carroll RE, Chambers JA, Dennis M, Sudlow C, Johnston M. Improving adherence to medication in stroke surviviors: A pilot randomised controlled trial. Ann Behav Med. In press.
- Allan JL, Sniehotta FF, Johnston M. The best laid plans: Planning skill determines the effectiveness of action plans and implementation intentions. Ann Behav Med. In press .
- Michie S, Richardson M, Johnston M, et al. The behavior change technique taxonomy (v1) of 93 hierarchically clustered techniques: Building an international consensus for the reporting of behavior change interventions. Ann Behav Med. In press.
- Roberts BW, Jackson JJ. Sociogenomic personality psychology. J Pers. 2008;76:1523-1544. CrossRef
- Tang TZ, DeRubeis RJ, Hollon SD, et al. Personality change during depression treatment: A placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009;66:1322-1330. CrossRef
- Jackson JJ, Thoemmes F, Jonkmann K, Ludtke O, Trautwein U. Military training and personality trait development: Does the military make the man, or does the man make the military? Psychol Sci. 2012;23:270-277. CrossRef
- Griva K, Davenport A, Harrison M, Newman SP. Non-adherence to immunosuppressive medications in kidney transplantation: Intent vs. forgetfulness and clinical markers of medication intake. Ann Behav Med. 2012;44:85-93. CrossRef
- Roberts BW, Smith J, Jackson JJ, Edmonds G. Compensatory conscientiousness and health in older couples. Psychol Sci. 2009;20:553-559. CrossRef
- Christensen AJ, Howren MB, Hillis SL, et al. Patient and physician beliefs about control over health: Association of symmetrical beliefs with medication regimen adherence. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;25:397-402. CrossRef
- Umberson D. Gender, marital status and the social control of health behavior. Soc Sci Med. 1992;34:907-917. CrossRef
- Trivedi RB, Bryson CL, Udris E, Au DH. The influence of informal caregivers on adherence in COPD patients. Ann Behav Med. 2012;44:66-72. CrossRef
- Axelsson M, Emilsson M, Brink E, et al. Personality, adherence, asthma control and health-related quality of life in young adult asthmatics. Respir Med. 2009;103:1033-1040. CrossRef
- Axelsson M, Brink E, Lundgren J, Lotvall J. The influence of personality traits on reported adherence to medication in individuals with chronic disease: An epidemiological study in west sweden. Plos One. 2011;6.
- Dobbels F, Vanhaecke J, Desmyttere A, et al. Prevalence and correlates of self-reported pretransplant nonadherence with medication in heart, liver, and lung transplant candidates. Transplantation. 2005;79:1588-1595. CrossRef
- Ediger JP, Walker JR, Graff L, et al. Predictors of medication adherence in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102:1417-1426. CrossRef
- Insel KC, Reminger SL, Hsiao CP. The negative association of independent personality and medication adherence. J Aging Health. 2006;18:407-418. CrossRef
- Jerant A, Chapman B, Duberstein P, Robbins J, Franks P. Personality and medication non-adherence among older adults enrolled in a six-year trial. Br J Health Psychol. 2011;16:151-169. CrossRef
- Moran PJ, Christensen AJ, Lawton WJ. Social support and conscientiousness in hemodialysis adherence. Ann Behav Med. 1997;19:333-338. CrossRef
- Quine L, Steadman L, Thompson S, Rutter DR. Adherence to anti-hypertensive medication: Proposing and testing a conceptual model. Br J Health Psychol. 2012;17:202-219. CrossRef
- Stilley CS, Sereika S, Muldoon MF, Ryan CM, Dunbar-Jacob J. Psychological and cognitive function: Predictors of adherence with cholesterol lowering treatment. Ann Behav Med. 2004;27:117-124. CrossRef
- Wiebe JS, Christensen AJ. Health beliefs, personality, and adherence in hemodialysis patients: An interactional perspective. Ann Behav Med. 1997;19:30-35. CrossRef
- Conscientiousness and Medication Adherence: A Meta-analysis
Annals of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 47, Issue 1 , pp 92-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Psychology, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland
- 2. Psychology, School of Natural Sciences, University of Stirling, Stirling, UK
- 3. School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK