Date: 17 Apr 2009
Executive Functioning and Health: Introduction to the Special Series
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Suchy Y. Executive functioning: Overview, assessment, and research issues for non-neuropsychologists. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Heaton, RK, Chelune, GJ, Talley, JL, Kay, GG, Curtiss, G (1993) Wisconsin Card Sorting Test Manual: Revised and Expanded. Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc., Odessa, FL
- Denburg NL, Weller KL, Yamada DM, et al. Poor decision-making among older adults is related to elevated levels of neuroticism. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Thayer JF, Hansen AL, Saus-Rose E, Johnsen BH. Heart rate variability, prefrontal neural function, and cognitive performance: The neurovisceral integration perspective on self-regulation, adaptation, and health. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Williams PG, Suchy Y, Rau HK. Individual differences in executive functioning: Implications for stress regulation. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Posner, MI, Rothbart, MK (2007) Research on attention networks as a model for the integration of psychological science. Annu Rev Psychol 58: pp. 1-23 CrossRef
- Kern ML, Friedman HS, Martin LR, Reynolds CA, Luong G. Conscientiousness, career success, and longevity: A lifespan analysis. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Hall, PA, Fong, GT, Epp, LJ, Elias, LJ (2008) Executive functioning moderates the intention–behavior link for physical activity and dietary behavior. Psychol Health 23: pp. 309-326 CrossRef
- Blume AW, Marlatt, GA. The role of executive cognitive functions in changing substance use: What we know and what we need to know. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Brega, AG, Grigsby, J, Kooken, R, Hamman, RF, Baxter, J (2008) The impact of executive cognitive functioning on rates of smoking cessation in the San Luis Valley Health and Aging Study. Age Ageing 37: pp. 521-525 CrossRef
- Liu-Ambrose, T, Ahamed, Y, Graf, P, Feldman, F, Robinovitch, SN (2008) Older fallers with poor working memory overestimate their postural limits. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89: pp. 1335-1340 CrossRef
- Thayer, JF, Lane, RD (2007) The role of vagal function in the risk for cardiovascular disease and mortality. Biol Psychol 74: pp. 224-242 CrossRef
- Thayer, JF, Brosschot, JF (2005) Psychosomatics and psychopathology: Looking up and down from the brain. Psychoneuroendocrinology 30: pp. 1050-1058 CrossRef
- Thayer, JF, Lane, RD (2009) Claude Bernard and the heart–brain connection: Further elaboration of a model of neurovisceral integration. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 33: pp. 81-88 CrossRef
- Devinsky, O, Morrell, MJ, Vogt, BA (1995) Contributions of anterior cingulate cortex to behavior. Brain 118: pp. 279-306 CrossRef
- Lane, RD, Reiman, EM, Ahern, GL, Thayer, JF (2001) Activity in medial prefrontal cortex correlates with vagal component of heart rate variability during emotion. Brain Cogn 47: pp. 97-100
- Bechara, A, Damasio, AR, Damasio, H, Anderson, SW (1994) Insensitivity to future consequences following damage to human prefrontal cortex. Cognition 50: pp. 7-15 CrossRef
- Rothbart, MK, Sheese, B Temperament and emotion regulation. In: Gross, JJ eds. (2007) Handbook of Emotion Regulation. Guildford, New York, NY, pp. 331-350
- Boeka, AG, Lokken, KL (2008) Neuropsychological performance in a clinical sample of extremely obese individuals. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 23: pp. 467-474 CrossRef
- Grodstein, F, Chen, J, Wilson, RS (2001) Type 2 diabetes and cognitive function, I: Community-dwelling elderly women. Diabetes Care 24: pp. 1060-1065 CrossRef
- Waldstein, SR, Jennings, JR, Ryan, CM (1996) Hypertension and neuropsychological performance in men: Interactive effects of age. Health Psychol 15: pp. 102-109 CrossRef
- Waldstein, SR, Tankard, CF, Maier, KJ (2003) Peripheral arterial disease and cognitive function. Psychosom Med 65: pp. 757-763 CrossRef
- Parekh, PI, Blumenthal, JA, Babyak, MA (2005) Gas exchange and exercise capacity affect neurocognitive performance in patients with lung disease. Psychosom Med 67: pp. 425-432 CrossRef
- Stern, Y, Liu, X, Marder, K (1995) Neuropsychological changes in a prospectively followed cohort of homosexual and bisexual men with and without HIV infection. Neurology 45: pp. 467-472
- Shillerstrom, JE, Horton, MS, Royall, DR (2005) The impact of medical illness on executive function. Psychosomatics 46: pp. 508-516 CrossRef
- Solomon, TM, Halkitis, PN (2008) Cognitive executive functioning in relation to HIV medication adherence among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. AIDS Behav 12: pp. 68-77 CrossRef
- Nes, LS, Roach AR, Segerstrom SC. Executive functions, self-regulation, and chronic pain: A review. Annals Behav Med. (this issue).
- Carver, CS, Scheier, MF (1998) On the Self-Regulation of Behavior. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY
- Baumeister RF, Vohs, KD, eds. Handbook of Self-Regulation: Research, Theory, and Applications. New York, NY: Guilford; 2004.
- Posner, MI, Rothbart, MK, Sheese, BE, Tang, Y (2007) The anterior cingulate gyrus and the mechanism of self-regulation. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 7: pp. 391-395 CrossRef
- Colcombe, SJ, Kramer, AF (2003) Fitness effects on the cognitive function of older adults: A meta-analytic study. Psychol Sci 14: pp. 125-130 CrossRef
- Davidson, RJ, Kabat-Zinn, J, Schumacher, J (2003) Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation. Psychosom Med 65: pp. 564-570 CrossRef
- Tang, YY, Ma, Y, Wang, J (2007) Short-term meditation training improves attention and self-regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci 104: pp. 17152-17156 CrossRef
- Diamond, A, Barnett, WS, Thomas, J, Munro, S (2007) Preschool program improves cognitive control. Science 318: pp. 1387-1388 CrossRef
- Erickson, KI, Colcombe, SJ, Wadhwa, R (2006) Training induced functional activation changes on dual-task processing: An MRI study. Cereb Cortex 17: pp. 192-204 CrossRef
- Executive Functioning and Health: Introduction to the Special Series
Annals of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 37, Issue 2 , pp 101-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors