Costing Behavioral Interventions: A Practical Guide to Enhance Translation
- Debra P. RitzwollerAffiliated withInstitute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Colorado Email author
- , Anna SukhanovaAffiliated withInstitute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- , Bridget GaglioAffiliated withInstitute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- , Russell E. GlasgowAffiliated withInstitute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cost and cost effectiveness of behavioral interventions are critical parts of dissemination and implementation into non-academic settings. Due to the lack of indicative data and policy makers’ increasing demands for both program effectiveness and efficiency, cost analyses can serve as valuable tools in the evaluation process.
To stimulate and promote broader use of practical techniques that can be used to efficiently estimate the implementation costs of behavioral interventions, we propose a set of analytic steps that can be employed across a broad range of interventions.
Intervention costs must be distinguished from research, development, and recruitment costs. The inclusion of sensitivity analyses is recommended to understand the implications of implementation of the intervention into different settings using different intervention resources. To illustrate these procedures, we use data from a smoking reduction practical clinical trial to describe the techniques and methods used to estimate and evaluate the costs associated with the intervention. Estimated intervention costs per participant were $419, with a range of $276 to $703, depending on the number of participants.
KeywordsCost effectiveness Behavioral interventions Intervention costs
- Costing Behavioral Interventions: A Practical Guide to Enhance Translation
Annals of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 37, Issue 2 , pp 218-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cost effectiveness
- Behavioral interventions
- Intervention costs
- Industry Sectors