Expressivism about Knowledge and the Value of Knowledge
- Klemens Kappel
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the paper is to state a version of epistemic expressivism regarding knowledge, and to suggest how this expressivism about knowledge explains the value of knowledge. The paper considers how an account of the value of knowledge based on expressivism about knowledge responds to the Meno Problem, the Swamping Problem, and a variety of other questions that pertains to the value of knowledge, and the role of knowledge in our cognitive ecology.
- Blackburn, S., (1996) Securing the nots: moral epistemology for the quasi-realist. In W. Sinnott-Armstrong & M. Timmons. Moral Knowledge. New Readings in Moral Epistemology. Oxford University Press.
- Chrisman, M (2007) From epistemic contextualism to epistemic expressivism. Philosophical Studies 135: pp. 225-254 CrossRef
- Chrisman, M., (2009) From epistemic expressivism to epistemic inferentialism. In Adrian Haddock, Duncan Pritchard and Alan Millar (Ed.), Social epistemology. Oxford University Press, (forthcoming).
- Cuneo, T (2007) The Normative Web : An Argument for Moral Realism. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Field, H (1998) Epistemological nonfactualism and the a prioricity of logic. Philosophical Studies 92: pp. 1-24
- Field, H (2009) Epistemology without metaphysics. Philosophical Studies 143: pp. 249-290 CrossRef
- Gibbard, A (1990) Wise Choices, Apt Feelings : A Theory of Normative Judgement. Clarendon, Oxford
- Gibbard, A (2003) Thinking How to Live. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Goldman, A. I., & Olsson, E. J, (2009) Reliabilism and the value of knowledge. In D. Pritchard (Ed.), Epistemic Value. Oxford University Press.
- Heller, M. (1999) The proper role for contextualism in an anti-luck epistemology. Nous, 115–129.
- Kaplan, M (1985) It’s not what you know that counts. The Journal of Philosophy 82: pp. 350-363 CrossRef
- Kaplan, M (2003) Critical study: who cares what you know?. The Philosophical Quarterly 53: pp. 105-116 CrossRef
- Kvanvig, JL (2003) The Value of Knowledge and the Pursuit of Understanding, Cambridge Studies in Philosophy. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge CrossRef
- Lynch, M (2009) Truth, Value and Epistemic Expressivism. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research LXXIX 1: pp. 76-97 CrossRef
- Pritchard, D., Millar, A., Haddock A. (2009) The Nature and Value of Knowledge: Three Investigations: Oxford University Press
- Williamson, T (2000) Knowledge and Its Limits. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Zagzebski, L (2003) The search for the source of epistemic good. Metaphilosophy 34: pp. 12-28 CrossRef
- Expressivism about Knowledge and the Value of Knowledge
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 175-194
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Value of knowledge
- Epistemic expressivism
- The Meno Problem
- The swamping problem
- The value problem
- Klemens Kappel (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Philosophy, Department of Media, Cognition and Communication, University of Copenhagen, Njalsgade 80, 2300, Copenhagen, Denmark