Super PACs and Financing the 2012 Presidential Election
- Girish J. Gulati
- … show all 1 hide
A free and fair electoral process is the primary mechanism for holding political power accountable in a democratic society. Money, for better or for worse, is an essential ingredient for facilitating elections that are competitive and substantively meaningful. Money allows candidates and political parties to organize voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives. Money also enables candidates to travel for meeting directly with voters and to communicate with and inform voters through the mass media and direct mail about their issue positions, leadership qualities, record in office, the rationale for their candidacy, and failings of their opponents.
Stephen K. Medvic, Campaigns and Elections: Players and Processes (Boston: Wadsworth, 2010); John Sides, Daron Shaw, Matt Grossmann, and Keena Lipsitz, Campaigns & Elections: Rules, Reality, Strategy, Choice (New York: Norton, 2012).
Without substantial amounts of money, it is unlikely that any candidate for national office can assemble the p ...
- Boatright, R. 2013. Fundraising—Continuity and Change. In Campaigns on the Cutting Edge, Second Edition, Semiatin, R. (ed). Los Angeles: CQ Press.
- R. Brennan Center for Justice. 2012. National Survey: Super PACs, Corruption, and Democracy: Americans’ Attitudes about the Influence of Super PAC Spending on Government and the Implications for our Democracy. <http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/national_survey_super_pacs_corruption_and_democracy> accessed June 11, 2012.
- Corrado, A. 2010. Fund-raising Strategies in the 2008 Presidential Campaign. In J. Thurber & C. Nelson (Eds.), Campaigns and Elections American Style (3rd ed., pp. 105–136). Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Corrado, A., Mann, T., Ortiz, D., & Potter, T. 2005. The New Campaign Finance Sourcebook. DC: Washington.
- Currinder, M. L., & Green, J. 2011. Money and Elections. In C. C. Craig & D. B. Hill (Eds.), The Electoral Challenge: When Theory Meets Practice. CQ Press: Los Angeles.
- Garrett, R.S. 2011. Super PACs. In Federal Elections: Overview and Issues for Congress. Congressional Research Service R42042, December 2.
- Garrett, R. S. 2012. Seriously Funny: Understanding Campaign Finance Policy Through the Colbert Super PAC. Saint Louis University Law Journal, 56(spring), 711–24.
- Nelson, C. 2010. Strategies and Tactics of Fundraising in 2008. In J. Thurber & C. Nelson (Eds.), Campaigns and Elections American Style (3rd ed., pp. 93–104). Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Whitaker, L.P., & Lunder, E. 2008. 527 Groups and Campaign Activity: Analysis Under Campaign Finance and Tax Laws. Congressional Research Service Report RS22895, June 12.
- Wright, J. H. 2003. Interest Groups and Congress: Lobbying, Contributions, and Influence. New York: Longman.
- Super PACs and Financing the 2012 Presidential Election
Volume 49, Issue 5 , pp 409-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Girish J. Gulati (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bentley University, 175 Forest Street, Waltham, MA, 02452, USA