Defining Deviance: John Kitsuse’s Modest Agenda
- James A. Holstein
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article highlights and appreciates an often overlooked aspect of John Kitsuse’s work in the sociology of deviance. Years before he invented a new sociology of social problems, Kitsuse crafted theoretical and empirical statements that helped establish the “labeling” or “societal reaction” definition of, and perspective on, deviance. Kitsuse’s work was a key in the movement to forge labeling theory’s distinctively radical edge. At the same time that he pioneered new sociological territory, Kitsuse also resisted the conceptual slippage that plagued so many others working on the frontier.
- Becker, H. S. (1963). Outsiders: studies in the sociology of deviance. New York: Free Press.
- Becker, H. S. (1973). Outsiders: studies in the sociology of deviance (with a new chapter, “labelling theory reconsidered”). New York: Free Press.
- Best, J. (2004). Deviance: career of a concept. Belmont: Wadsworth.
- Debro, J. (1970). Dialogue with Howard S. Becker. Issues in Criminology, 5, 159–179.
- Erikson, K. T. (1962). Notes on the sociology of deviance. Social Problems, 9, 207–314. CrossRef
- Gove, W. R. (1975). The labelling of deviance: evaluating a perspective. Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Holstein, J. A. (1993). Court-ordered insanity: interpretive practice and involuntary commitment. Hawthorne: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Holstein, J. A., & Gubrium, J. F. (2008). Handbook of constructionist research. New York: Guilford.
- Ibarra, P. R. (2008). Strict and contextual constructionism in the sociology of deviance and social problems. In J. A. Holstein, & J. F. Gubrium (Eds.), Handbook of constructionist research (pp. 355–369). New York: Guilford.
- Ibarra, P. R., & Kitsuse, J. I. (1993). Vernacular constituents of moral discourse: an interactionist proposal for the study of social problems. In J. Holstein, & G. Miller (Eds.), Reconsidering social constructionism (pp. 25–58). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Ibarra, P. R., & Kitsuse, J. I. (2003). Claims-making discourse and vernacular resources. In J. A. Holstein, & G. Miller (Eds.), Challenges and choices: constructionist perspectives on social problems (pp. 17–50). Hawthorne: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Katz, J. (1972). Deviance, charisma, and rule-defined behavior. Social Problems, 20, 186–202. CrossRef
- Kitsuse, J. I. (1962). Societal reaction the deviant behavior: problems of theory and method. Social Problems, 9, 247–256. CrossRef
- Kitsuse, J. I. (1975). The ‘new conception of deviance’ and its critics. In W. R. Gove (Ed.), The labelling of deviance: evaluating a perspective (pp. 381–392). Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Kitsuse, J. I., & Cicourel, A. V. (1963). A note on the uses of official statistics. Social Problems, 11, 131–139. CrossRef
- Kitsuse, J. I., & Spector, M. (1973). Toward a sociology of social problems: social conditions, value judgments, and social problems. Social Problems, 20, 407–419. CrossRef
- Kitsuse, J. I., & Spector, M. (1975). Social problems and deviance: some parallel issues. Social Problems, 22, 584–594. CrossRef
- Lemert, E. (1951). Social pathology. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Lemert, E. (1967). Human deviance, social problems, and social control. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- Pollner, M. (1974). Sociological and common-sense models of the labelling process. In R. Turner (Ed.), Ethnomethodology (pp. 27–40). London: Penguin.
- Pollner, M. (1987). Mundane reason. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rains, P. (1975). Imputations of deviance: a retrospective essay on the labeling perspective. Social Problems, 23, 1–11. CrossRef
- Scheff, T. J. (1964). The societal reaction to deviance: ascriptive elements in the psychiatric screening of mental patients in a Midwestern State. Social Problems, 11, 401–413. CrossRef
- Scheff, T. J. (1966). Being mentally ill. Chicago: Aldine.
- Scheff, T. J. (1967). Social conditions for rationality: how urban and rural courts deal with the mentally ill. American Behavioral Scientist, 7, 21–27.
- Scheff, T. J. (1974). The labelling theory of mental illness. American Sociological Review, 39, 444–452. CrossRef
- Spector, M. (1976). Labeling theory in social problems: a young journal launches a new theory. Social Problems, 24, 69–75. CrossRef
- Spector, M., & Kitsuse, J. I. (1973). Social problems: a reformulation. Social Problems, 22, 145–159. CrossRef
- Spector, M., & Kitsuse, J. I. (1977 ). Constructing social problems. Hawthorne: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Woolgar, S., & Pawluch, D. (1985). Ontological gerrymandering. Social Problems, 32, 214–227. CrossRef
- Defining Deviance: John Kitsuse’s Modest Agenda
The American Sociologist
Volume 40, Issue 1-2 , pp 51-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Labeling theory
- Social control
- Social problems
- Societal reaction
- Sociological theory
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Social and Cultural Sciences, Marquette University, P.O. Box 1881, 526 N. 14th Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53201-1881, USA