Index for measuring child feeding practices
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present investigation was undertaken with the objective of creating an Infant and Child Feeding Index (ICFI) from a set of complementary feeding (CF) practices and to determine its association with growth of infants and young children (6-23months).
A semi-structured interview schedule was used to collect information for 204 children from one large slum (n=104) and two private pediatric clinics (n=100) of urban Vadodara.
Results revealed that about half (50.5%) of the children were stunted Ht for Age Z score (HAZ<-2SD), nearly one-fourth (25.5%) were underweight Wt for Age Z score (WAZ<-2SD), but wasting (WHZ Wt for Ht Z score<-2SD) was low (3%). Significant associations were revealed between almost all positive CF practices and nutritional status of the children as measured by HAZ and WAZ (p<0.01), but not with WHZ. Good associations were revealed between ICFI and HAZ and WAZ, but not with WHZ. On multivariate analysis of factors affecting the HAZ, WAZ and WHZ scores, ICFI was not found to be significant whereas maternal education was the most significant factor, which was also found to be associated significantly with ICFI.
It is concluded that the composite index in its present form can reflect the CF practices more holistically than just one or few behaviors studied separately. More research is needed in the direction of constituting a composite index which can then be used for research, monitoring, evaluation and much needed advocacy for complementary feeding.
- Kanani S, Srivastava N, Daxini M, Sharma M, Sharma K, Mehan M. Are Recommended Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Practices Being followed In Our Region? Assessment Methods and Research Evidence. Scientific Report Series No.1, Vadodara; Sandhya Press, 2005.
- Arimond M, Ruel MT. Assessing Care: Progress towards the Measurement of Selected Childcare and Feeding Practices, and Implications for Programs. Washington, DC, Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance Project, Academy for Educational Development, 2002.
- Dewey KB, Brown KH. Update on technical issues concerning complementary feeding of young children in developing countries and implications for intervention programs. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2003; 24(1): 5–28
- Arimond M, Ruel M. Summary indicators for infant and child feeding practices: an example from the Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2000. Washington DC; FANTA, AED; 2002.
- Armar-Klemesu M, Ruel M, Maxwell D, Levin C, Morris S. Poor maternal schooling is the main constraint to good childcare practices in Accra. J Nutr 2000; 130: 1597–1607.
- Ruel MT, Menon P. Child feeding practices are associated with child nutritional status in Latin America: innovative use of the Demographic Health Surveys. J Nutr 2002; 132: 1180–1187.
- Arimond M, Ruel M. Generating indicators of Appropriate Feeding of Children 6 through 23 months from the KPC 2000+ Washington, D.C. Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance Project, Academy for Educational Development, 2003.
- PAHO/WHO. Guiding principles for complementary feeding of the breastfed child. Washington DC: PAHO, WHO; 2003
- Epi Info Version 6.04. Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Geneva; WHO; 2001.
- UNICEF. The State of the World’s Children. New York; UNICEF; 2005.
- Martorell R, Kettel K, Schroeder DG. Reversibility of stunting: epidemiological findings in children from developing countries. Eur J Clin Nutr 1994; S45–S57.
- World Health Organization. Indicators for assessing breastfeeding practices. Reprinted report of an informal meeting. Geneva; WHO; 1991.
- Piwoz EG, Huffman SL, Quinn VJ. Promotion and Advocacy for Improved Complementary Feeding: Can We Apply the Lessons Learned from Breastfeeding? Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2003; 24(1): 29–44.
- Lutter C. Meeting the Challenges to improve Complementary Feeding. SCN News 2003; 27: 4–9.
- Index for measuring child feeding practices
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 74, Issue 4 , pp 363-368
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Composite index
- Complementary feeding
- Infant and young Child Feeding (IYCF)
- Infant and Child Feeding Index (ICFI)
- Industry Sectors