- William Eric Meikle
- … show all 1 hide
Laws prohibiting the teaching of human evolution were in effect in some states for over 40 years during the twentieth century. While such laws have been ruled unconstitutional, the opposition to evolution which stimulated their adoption continues as a prominent feature of American culture.
- Armstrong OK. Beating the evolution laws. Popular Science. 1929;115(3):17–9,134–5. http://www.popsci.com/science/gallery/2011-05/archive-gallery-evolution?image=3
- Berkman MB, Plutzer E. Defeating creationism in the courtroom, but not in the classroom. Science. 2011;333(6016):404–5. CrossRef
- Berkman MB, Pacheco JS, Plutzer E. Evolution and creationism in America’s classrooms: a national portrait. PLoS Biol. 2008;6(5):e124. CrossRef
- Branch G, Mead LS. “Theory” in theory and practice. Evo Edu Outreach. 2008;1(3):287–9. CrossRef
- Branch G, Scott EC. The latest face of creationism. Sci Am. 2009;300(1):92–9. CrossRef
- Grabiner JV, Miller PD. Effects of the Scopes trial: was it a victory for evolutionists? Science. 1974;185(4154):832–7. CrossRef
- Larson EJ. Summer for the gods: the Scopes trial and America’s continuing debate over science and religion. New York: Basic Books; 1997.
- Larson EJ. Trial and error: the American controversy over creation and evolution. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2003.
- Mead LS, Scott EC. Problem concepts in evolution part I: purpose and design. Evo Edu Outreach. 2010;3(1):78–81. CrossRef
- Moore R. How well do biology teachers understand the legal issues associated with the teaching of evolution? Bioscience. 2004;54(9):860–5. CrossRef
- Petto AJ, Mead LS. Misconceptions about the evolution of complexity. Evo Edu Outreach. 2008;1(4):505–8. CrossRef
- Petto AJ, Mead LS. Homology: why we know a whale is not a fish. Evo Edu Outreach. 2009;2(4):617–21. CrossRef
- Scott EC. Evolution vs. creationism: an introduction. 2nd ed. Berkeley: University of California Press; 2009.
- Banning Evolution
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 453-455
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Teaching evolution
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Science Education, PO Box 9477, Berkeley, CA, 94709-0477, USA