Misconceptions about the Settlement of the Americas: Interview with Kenneth L. Feder
Kenneth L. Fedder
Kenneth L. Feder, a specialist in archaeological pseudoscience, addresses prevalent misconceptions about the settlement of the Americas, discussing how they are stimulated by ethnic pride and religious faith, propagated uncritically in the media, and accepted by students. Sources of information on such misconceptions and strategies for helping students to overcome them are briefly sketched.
- Arnold B. The past as propaganda: how Hitler’s archaeologists distorted European prehistory to justify racist and territorial goals. Archaeology. 1992;45:30–7.
- Daegling DJ. Bigfoot exposed: an anthropologist examines America’s enduring legend. Walnut Creek: AltaMira Press; 2005.
- Deloria Jr V. Red earth, white lies: Native Americans and the myth of scientific fact. New York: Scribners; 1995.
- Feder KL. The encyclopedia of dubious archaeology: from Atlantis to the Walam Olum. Santa Barbara: Greenwood; 2010.
- Feder KL. Frauds, myths, and mysteries: science and pseudoscience in archaeology. 7th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill; 2011.
- Jordan P. The Atlantis syndrome. Stroud: Sutton; 2001.
- Kusche L. The Bermuda Triangle mystery solved. Amherst: Prometheus; 1995.
- Nickell J. Inquest on the Shroud of Turin. 2nd ed. Buffalo: Prometheus; 1987.
- Plait P. Bad astronomy: misconceptions and misuses revealed, from astrology to the moon landing “hoax”. New York: Wiley; 2002.
- Powell EA. Theme park of the gods? Archaeology. 2004;57(1):62–7.
- Radford B. Tracking the chupacabra: the vampire beast in fact, fiction, and folklore. Santa Fe: University of New Mexico Press; 2011.
- Sabloff JA. Archaeology matters: action archaeology in the modern world. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press; 2008.
- Van Sertima I. They came before Columbus: the African presence in ancient America. New York: Random House; 1976.
- von Däniken E. Chariots of the gods? New York: Bantam Books; 1970.
- von Däniken E. The return of the gods: evidence of extraterrestrial visitations. New York: Element Books; 2000.
- von Däniken E. The gods were astronauts: evidence of the true identities of the old gods. London: Vega Books; 2002.
- Misconceptions about the Settlement of the Americas: Interview with Kenneth L. Feder
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 262-266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Kenneth L. Feder
- Settlement of the Americas