How to protect the chromosomal ends?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was jointly awarded to three scientists — Elizabeth H Blackburn, Carol W Greider and Jack W Szostak — for their work during early 1980s and 1990s which helped unravel the molecular mechanisms of protection of chromosomal ends by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase. Their discovery has had major implications in the fields of ageing and cancer research. Blackburn and Greider are the ninth and tenth women scientist, to get this award in physiology or medicine and this is the first time that two women scientists have shared the prize.
- Hayflick, L., Moorhead, P. S. (1961) The serial cultivation of human diploid cell strains. Exp. Cell Res. 25: pp. 585-621 CrossRef
- Szostak, J. W., Blackburn, E. H. (1982) Cloning yeast telomeres on linear plasmid vectors. Cell 29: pp. 245-255 CrossRef
- Shampay, J., Szostak, J. W., Blackburn, E. H. (1984) DNA sequences of telomeres maintained in yeast. Nature 310: pp. 154-157 CrossRef
- Greider, C. W., Blackburn, E. H. (1985) Identification of a specific telomere terminal transferase activity in Tetrahymena extracts. Cell 43: pp. 405-413 CrossRef
- Greider, C. W., Blackburn, E. H. (1987) The telomere terminal transferase of Tetrahymena is a ribonucleoprotein enzyme with two kinds of primer specificity. Cell 51: pp. 887-898 CrossRef
- Greider, C. W., Blackburn, E. H. (1989) A telomeric sequence in the RNA of Tetrahymena telomerase required for telomere repeat synthesis. Nature 337: pp. 331-337 CrossRef
- Kim, N. W., Piatyszek, M. A., Prowse, K. R., Harley, C. B., West, M. D., Ho, P. L., Coviello, G. M., Wright, W. E., Weinrich, S. L., Shay, J. W. (1994) Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer. Science 266: pp. 2011-2015 CrossRef
- Hahn, W.C., Counter, C.M., Lundberg, A.S., Beijersbergen, R. L., Brooks, M.W., Weinberg, R. A. (1999) Creation of human tumour cells with defined genetic elements. Nature 400: pp. 464-468 CrossRef
- How to protect the chromosomal ends?
Volume 15, Issue 6 , pp 538-547
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Industry Sectors