Macromolecular Drug Delivery: Basic Principles and Therapeutic Applications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Macromolecular drugs hold great promise as novel therapeutics of several major disorders, such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. However, their use is limited by lack of efficient, safe, and specific delivery strategies. Successful development of such strategies requires interdisciplinary collaborations involving researchers with expertise on e.g., polymer chemistry, cell biology, nano technology, systems biology, advanced imaging methods, and clinical medicine. This poses obvious challenges to the scientific community, but also provides opportunities for the unexpected at the interface between different disciplines. This review summarizes recent studies of macromolecular delivery that should be of interest to researchers involved in macromolecular drug synthesis as well as in vitro and in vivo drug delivery studies.
- Conner, S. D., & Schmid, S. L. (2003). Regulated portals of entry into the cell. Nature, 422, 37–44. CrossRef
- Belting, M., Sandgren, S., & Wittrup, A. (2005). Nuclear targeting of macromolecules: Barriers and carriers. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 57, 505–527. CrossRef
- Vorhies, J. S., & Nemunaitis, J. J. (2009). Synthetic vs. natural/biodegradable polymers for delivery of shRNA based cancer therapies. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 11–29.
- Gopalakrishnan, B., & Wolff, J. (2009). siRNA and DNA transfer to cultured cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 31–52.
- Green, J. J., Zugates, G. T., Langer, R., & Anderson, D. G. (2009). Poly(β-amino esters): Procedures for synthesis and gene delivery. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 53–63.
- Zhang, C., Newsome, J. T., Mewani, R., Pei, J., Gokhale, P. C., & Kasid, U. N. (2009). Systemic delivery and preclinical evaluation of nanoparticles containing antisense oligonucleotides and siRNAs. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 65–83.
- Ryser, H. J., & Hancock, R. (1965). Histones and basic polyamino acids stimulate the uptake of albumin by tumor cells in culture. Science, 150, 501. CrossRef
- Prochiantz, A. (2008). Protein and peptide transduction, twenty years later a happy birthday. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 60, 448–451. CrossRef
- Belting, M. (2003). Heparan sulfate proteoglycan as a plasma membrane carrier. Trends in Biochemical Sciences, 28, 145–151. CrossRef
- Wittrup, A., Sandgren, S., Lilja, J., Bratt, C., Gustavsson, N., Mörgelin, M., et al. (2007). Identification of proteins released by mammalian cells that mediate DNA internalization through proteoglycan-dependent macropinocytosis. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 282, 27897–27904. CrossRef
- Abes, S., Ivanova, G. D., Abes, R., Arzumanov, A. A., Williams, D., Owen, D., et al. (2009). Peptide-based delivery of steric-block PNA oligonucleotides. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 85–99.
- Wittrup, A., & Belting, M. (2009). Characterizing peptide mediated DNA internalization in human cancer cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 1–10. CrossRef
- Fransson, J., & Borrebaeck, C. A. K. (2009). Selection and characterization of antibodies from phage display libraries against internalizing membrane antigens. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 113–127.
- Mäler, L., & Gräslund, A. (2009). Artificial membrane models for the study of macromolecular delivery. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 129–139.
- Barbul, A., Antov, Y., Rosenberg, Y., & Korenstein, R. (2009). Enhanced delivery of macromolecules into cells by electroendocytosis. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 141–150.
- Daum, N., Neumeyer, A., Wahl, B., Bur, M., & Lehr, C.-M. (2009). In vitro systems for studying epithelial transport of macromolecules. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 151–164.
- Kraft, K. S., & Grant, M. (2009). Preparation of macromolecule-containing dry powders for pulmonary delivery. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 165–174.
- Hynynen, K. (2009). Macromolecular delivery across the blood-brain barrier. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 175–185.
- Ludwig, G., Strauss, L. G., & Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, A. (2009). Positron emission tomography (PET) and macromolecular delivery in vivo. Methods in Molecular Biology, 480, 187–198.
- Macromolecular Drug Delivery: Basic Principles and Therapeutic Applications
Volume 43, Issue 1 , pp 89-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press Inc
- Additional Links
- Gene transfer
- Gene silencing
- Drug delivery vehicles
- Positron emission tomography
- Industry Sectors