Lower Extremity Pain Is Associated With Reduced Function and Psychosocial Health in Obese Children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Childhood obesity is associated with reduced quality of life, physical fitness, and a higher prevalence of lower extremity (LE) pain; however, it is unclear whether and how these factors are related.
For this study we asked if obese children with LE pain (LE+) had higher BMI-Z scores, lower physical function and psychosocial health, and lower physical fitness compared with obese children without LE pain (LE−). We determined the association of BMI-Z score with physical function, psychosocial health, or physical fitness in obese children.
Medical charts of 183 obese children were reviewed. Recorded data included anthropometrics, demographics, reports of musculoskeletal pain, Pediatric Quality of Life (PedsQL)-Physical Function score, PedsQL-Psychosocial Health score, and physical fitness levels. Data from 175 individuals were included in the analysis, with 51 in the LE+ group and 124 in the LE− group. Statistical analysis included Mann-Whitney U tests and Spearman’s rank order correlations.
Between the LE+ and LE− groups, BMI-Z and physical fitness scores were not different. The LE+ group scored worse on the PedsQL-Physical Function scale (LE+: 72.4 [17.1], LE−: 79.5 [15.0]) and PedsQL-Psychosocial Health scale (LE+: 70.0 [16.1], LE−: 75.8 [16.3]). BMI-Z scores negatively correlated with PedsQL-Physical Function scores, PedsQL-Psychosocial Health scores, and physical fitness scores.
Our findings indicate that LE pain should be considered in the evaluation and management of children who are obese.
Level of Evidence
Level III, prognostic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Baskin, ML, Ard, J, Franklin, F, Allison, DB (2005) Prevalence of obesity in the United States. Obes Rev. 6: pp. 5-7 CrossRef
- Beets, MW, Pitetti, KH, Cardinal, BJ (2005) Progressive aerobic cardiovascular endurance run and body mass index among an ethnically diverse sample of 10–15-year-olds. Res Q Exerc Sport. 76: pp. 389-397 CrossRef
- Biro, FM, Wien, M (2010) Childhood obesity and adult morbidities. Am J Clin Nutr. 91: pp. 1499S-1505S CrossRef
- Brouwer, GM, Tol, AW, Bergink, AP, Belo, JN, Bernsen, RM, Reijman, M, Pols, HA, Bierma-Zeinstra, SM (2007) Association between valgus and varus alignment and the development and progression of radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Rheum. 56: pp. 1204-1211 CrossRef
- Cameron, A, Magliano, D, Dunstan, D, Zimmet, P, Hesketh, K, Peeters, A, Shaw, J (2012) A bi-directional relationship between obesity and health-related quality of life: evidence from the longitudinal AusDiab study. Int J Obes. 36: pp. 295-303 CrossRef
- Carrel, AL, Bowser, J, White, D, Moberg, DP, Weaver, B, Hisgen, J, Eickhoff, J, Allen, DB (2012) Standardized childhood fitness percentiles derived from school-based testing. J Pediatr. 161: pp. 120-124 CrossRef
- Coggon, D, Reading, I, Croft, P, McLaren, M, Barrett, D, Cooper, C (2001) Knee osteoarthritis and obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 25: pp. 622-627 CrossRef
- Cole, TJ, Faith, MS, Pietrobelli, A, Heo, M (2005) What is the best measure of adiposity change in growing children: BMI, BMI%, BMI z-score or BMI centile?. Eur J Clin Nutr. 59: pp. 419-425 CrossRef
- Connelly, M, Rapoff, MA (2006) Assessing health-related quality of life in children with recurrent headache: reliability and validity of the PedsQLTM 4.0 in a pediatric headache sample. J Pediatr Psychol. 31: pp. 698-702 CrossRef
- D’Hondt, E, Deforche, B, Vaeyens, R, Vandorpe, B, Vandendriessche, J, Pion, J, Philippaerts, R, Bourdeaudhuij, I, Lenoir, M (2011) Gross motor coordination in relation to weight status and age in 5- to 12-year-old boys and girls: a cross-sectional study. Int J Pediatr Obes. 6: pp. e556-e564 CrossRef
- Daniels, SR, Greer, FR (2008) Lipid screening and cardiovascular health in childhood. Pediatrics. 122: pp. 198-208 CrossRef
- De Los Reyes A, Kazdin AE. Measuring informant discrepancies in clinical child research. Psychol Assess. 2004;16:330–334.
- de Sa Pinto AL, de Barros Holanda PM, Radu AS, Villares SM, Lima FR. Musculoskeletal findings in obese children. J Paediatr Child Health. 2006;42:341–344.
- Gelber, AC, Hochberg, MC, Mead, LA, Wang, NY, Wigley, FM, Klag, MJ (1999) Body mass index in young men and the risk of subsequent knee and hip osteoarthritis. Am J Med. 107: pp. 542-548 CrossRef
- Graf, C, Koch, B, Kretschmann-Kandel, E, Falkowski, G, Christ, H, Coburger, S, Lehmacher, W, Bjarnason-Wehrens, B, Platen, P, Tokarski, W, Predel, HG, Dordel, S (2004) Correlation between BMI, leisure habits and motor abilities in childhood (CHILT-project). Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 28: pp. 22-26 CrossRef
- Heo, M, Allison, DB, Faith, MS, Zhu, S, Fontaine, KR (2003) Obesity and quality of life: mediating effects of pain and comorbidities. Obes Res. 11: pp. 209-216 CrossRef
- Janke, EA, Collins, A, Kozak, AT (2007) Overview of the relationship between pain and obesity: what do we know? Where do we go next?. J Rehabil Res Dev. 44: pp. 245-262 CrossRef
- Jia, H, Lubetkin, EI (2005) The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population. J Public Health (Oxf). 27: pp. 156-164 CrossRef
- Jinks, C, Jordan, K, Croft, P (2006) Disabling knee pain—another consequence of obesity: results from a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 6: pp. 258 CrossRef
- Joshi, P, Bryan, C, Howat, H (2012) Relationship of body mass index and fitness levels among schoolchildren. J Strength Cond Res. 26: pp. 1006-1014 CrossRef
- Kemp, C, Pienaar, AE (2011) Physical activity levels and energy expenditure of 9-year-old–12-year-old overweight and obese children. Health SA Gesondheid. 16: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Krul, M, Wouden, JC, Schellevis, FG, Suijlekom-Smit, LW, Koes, BW (2009) Musculoskeletal problems in overweight and obese children. Ann Fam Med. 7: pp. 352-356 CrossRef
- Kuczmarski, RJ, Ogden, CL, Guo, SS, Grummer-Strawn, LM, Flegal, KM, Mei, Z, Wei, R, Curtin, LR, Roche, AF, Johnson, CL (2000) CDC Growth Charts for the United States: methods and development. Vital Health Stat 11: pp. 1-190
- Lee, R, Kean, WF (2012) Obesity and knee osteoarthritis. Inflammopharmacology. 20: pp. 53-58 CrossRef
- LeResche, L, Mancl, LA, Drangsholt, MT, Saunders, K, Korff, MV (2005) Relationship of pain and symptoms to pubertal development in adolescents. Pain. 118: pp. 201-209 CrossRef
- Lohmander, LS, Verdier, MG, Rollof, J, Nilsson, PM, Engström, G (2009) Incidence of severe knee and hip osteoarthritis in relation to different measures of body mass: a population-based prospective cohort study. Ann Rheum Dis. 68: pp. 490-496 CrossRef
- McGill, HC, McMahan, CA, Herderick, EE, Zieske, AW, Malcom, GT, Tracy, RE, Strong, JP (2002) Obesity accelerates the progression of coronary atherosclerosis in young men. Circulation. 105: pp. 2712-2718 CrossRef
- McGraw, B, McClenaghan, BA, Williams, HG, Dickerson, J, Ward, DS (2000) Gait and postural stability in obese and nonobese prepubertal boys. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 81: pp. 484-489 CrossRef
- McMillan, AG, Phillips, KA, Collier, DN (2010) Blaise Williams DS. Frontal and sagittal plane biomechanics during drop jump landing in boys who are obese. Pediatr Phys Ther. 22: pp. 34-41 CrossRef
- McMillan, AG, Pulver, AM, Collier, DN, Williams, DS (2010) Sagittal and frontal plane joint mechanics throughout the stance phase of walking in adolescents who are obese. Gait Posture. 32: pp. 263-268 CrossRef
- Meredith, M, Welk, G (2010) FITNESSGRAM & ACTIVITYGRAM: Test Administration Manual. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, USA
- Mills, PM, Wang, Y, Cicuttini, FM, Stoffel, K, Stachowiak, GW, Podsiadlo, P, Lloyd, DG (2008) Tibio-femoral cartilage defects 3–5 years following arthroscopic partial medial meniscectomy. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 16: pp. 1526-1531 CrossRef
- Ogden, CL, Yanovski, SZ, Carroll, MD, Flegal, KM (2007) The epidemiology of obesity. Gastroenterology. 132: pp. 2087-2102 CrossRef
- Panepinto, JA, Pajewski, NM, Foerster, LM, Hoffmann, RG (2008) The performance of the PedsQL generic core scales in children with sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 30: pp. 666-673 CrossRef
- Penedo, FJ, Dahn, JR (2005) Exercise and well-being: a review of mental and physical health benefits associated with physical activity. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 18: pp. 189-193 CrossRef
- Perquin, CW, Hazebroek-Kampschreur, AA, Hunfeld, JA, Bohnen, AM, Suijlekom-Smit, LW, Passchier, J, Wouden, JC (2000) Pain in children and adolescents: a common experience. Pain. 87: pp. 51-58 CrossRef
- Pinhas-Hamiel, O, Singer, S, Pilpel, N, Fradkin, A, Modan, D, Reichman, B (2005) Health-related quality of life among children and adolescents: associations with obesity. Int J Obes. 30: pp. 267-272 CrossRef
- Pinhas-Hamiel, O, Singer, S, Pilpel, N, Fradkin, A, Modan, D, Reichman, B (2006) Health-related quality of life among children and adolescents: associations with obesity. Int J Obes (Lond). 30: pp. 267-272 CrossRef
- Prentice-Dunn, H, Prentice-Dunn, S (2012) Physical activity, sedentary behavior, and childhood obesity: a review of cross-sectional studies. Psychol Health Med. 17: pp. 255-273 CrossRef
- Quaresma, A, Palmeira, AL, Martins, SS, Veloso, S, Fonseca, H, Matos, MG (2009) Fitness versus fatness and quality of life: analysis of the influence of the cardiorespiratory fitness on the weight related quality of life of adolescents. Fitness Performance. 8: pp. 254-263 CrossRef
- Riazi, A, Shakoor, S, Dundas, I, Eiser, C, McKenzie, SA (2010) Health-related quality of life in a clinical sample of obese children and adolescents. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 8: pp. 134 CrossRef
- Riddiford-Harland, DL, Steele, JR, Baur, LA (2006) Upper and lower limb functionality: are these compromised in obese children?. Int J Pediatr Obes. 1: pp. 42-49 CrossRef
- Ringold, S, Wallace, CA, Rivara, FP (2009) Health-related quality of life, physical function, fatigue, and disease activity in children with established polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 36: pp. 1330-1336 CrossRef
- Roth-Isigkeit, A, Thyen, U, Stoven, H, Schwarzenberger, J, Schmucker, P (2005) Pain among children and adolescents: restrictions in daily living and triggering factors. Pediatrics. 115: pp. e152-e162 CrossRef
- Salsich GB, Perman WH. Tibiofemoral and patellofemoral mechanics are altered at small knee flexion angles in people with patellofemoral pain. J Sci Med Sport. 2012 May 10 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwimmer, JB, Burwinkle, TM, Varni, JW (2003) Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. JAMA. 289: pp. 1813-1819 CrossRef
- Sharma, L, Lou, C, Cahue, S, Dunlop, DD (2000) The mechanism of the effect of obesity in knee osteoarthritis: the mediating role of malalignment. Arthritis Rheum. 43: pp. 568-575 CrossRef
- Sharma, L, Song, J, Felson, DT, Cahue, S, Shamiyeh, E, Dunlop, DD (2001) The role of knee alignment in disease progression and functional decline in knee osteoarthritis. JAMA. 286: pp. 188-195 CrossRef
- Soric, M, Misigoj-Durakovic, M (2010) Physical activity levels and estimated energy expenditure in overweight and normal-weight 11-year-old children. Acta Paediatr. 99: pp. 244-250
- Sorof, J, Daniels, S (2002) Obesity hypertension in children. Hypertension. 40: pp. 441-447 CrossRef
- Stovitz, SD, Pardee, PE, Vazquez, G, Duval, S, Schwimmer, JB (2008) Musculoskeletal pain in obese children and adolescents. Acta Paediatr. 97: pp. 489-493 CrossRef
- Strutzenberger, G, Richter, A, Schneider, M, Mundermann, A, Schwameder, H (2011) Effects of obesity on the biomechanics of stair-walking in children. Gait Posture. 34: pp. 119-125 CrossRef
- Taylor, ED, Theim, KR, Mirch, MC, Ghorbani, S, Tanofsky-Kraff, M, Adler-Wailes, DC, Brady, S, Reynolds, JC, Calis, KA, Yanovski, JA (2006) Orthopedic complications of overweight in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 117: pp. 2167-2174 CrossRef
- US Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation. Rockville, MD, USA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General; 2010.
- Varni, JW, Burwinkle, TM, Jacobs, JR, Gottschalk, M, Kaufman, F, Jones, KL (2003) The PedsQL in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: reliability and validity of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory Generic Core Scales and type 1 Diabetes Module. Diabetes Care. 26: pp. 631-637 CrossRef
- Varni, JW, Burwinkle, TM, Seid, M, Skarr, D (2003) The PedsQL 4.0 as a pediatric population health measure: feasibility, reliability, and validity. Ambul Pediatr. 3: pp. 329-341 CrossRef
- Varni JW, Limbers CA, Burwinkle TM. How young can children reliably and validly self-report their health-related quality of life? An analysis of 8,591 children across age subgroups with the PedsQL™ 4.0 Generic Core Scales. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2007;5:1.
- Varni, JW, Seid, M, Knight, TS, Uzark, K, Szer, IS (2002) The PedsQL 4.0 Generic Core Scales: sensitivity, responsiveness, and impact on clinical decision-making. J Behav Med. 25: pp. 175-193 CrossRef
- Varni, JW, Seid, M, Kurtin, PS (2001) PedsQL 4.0: reliability and validity of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory version 4.0 generic core scales in healthy and patient populations. Med Care. 39: pp. 800-812 CrossRef
- Varni, JW, Seid, M, Rode, CA (1999) The PedsQL: measurement model for the pediatric quality of life inventory. Med Care. 37: pp. 126-139 CrossRef
- Varni, JW, Seid, M, Smith Knight, T, Burwinkle, T, Brown, J, Szer, IS (2002) The PedsQL in pediatric rheumatology: reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory Generic Core Scales and Rheumatology Module. Arthritis Rheum. 46: pp. 714-725 CrossRef
- Wang, Y (2002) Is obesity associated with early sexual maturation? A comparison of the association in American boys versus girls. Pediatrics. 110: pp. 903-910 CrossRef
- Williams, J, Wake, M, Hesketh, K, Maher, E, Waters, E (2005) Health-related quality of life of overweight and obese children. JAMA. 293: pp. 70-76 CrossRef
- Willson JD, Davis IS. Lower extremity mechanics of females with and without patellofemoral pain across activities with progressively greater task demands. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008;23:203–211.
- Witchel, S, Finegold, D Endocrinology. In: Zitelli, B, Davis, H eds. (2002) Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis. Mosby, St. Louis, MO, USA, pp. 315-338
- World Health Organization EC. Physical Status, the Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1995:263–311.
- Zeller, MH, Modi, AC (2006) Predictors of health-related quality of life in obese youth. Obesity (Silver Spring). 14: pp. 122-130 CrossRef
- Zorba, E, Cengiz, T, Karacabey, K (2011) Exercise training improves body composition, blood lipid profile and serum insulin levels in obese children. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 51: pp. 664-669
- Lower Extremity Pain Is Associated With Reduced Function and Psychosocial Health in Obese Children
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 4 , pp 1236-1244
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 700 Children’s Drive, Columbus, OH, 43205, USA
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- 3. Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 4. Health and Rehabilitation Sciences PhD Program, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- 5. Division of Physical Therapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- 6. Sports Health and Performance Institute, OSU Sports Medicine, Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, USA