Gender Differences in Osteoporosis and Fractures
- Peggy M. Cawthon PhD, MPH
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteoporosis is generally thought of as a “woman’s disease” because the prevalence of osteoporosis and the rate of fractures are much higher in postmenopausal women than in older men. However, the absolute number of men affected by osteoporosis and fractures is large, as at least 2.8 million men in the United States are thought to have osteoporosis.
The purposes of this review are to (1) highlight gender differences in osteoporosis and fracture risk, (2) describe disparities in treatment and outcomes after fractures between men and women, and (3) propose solutions to reducing disparities in treatment and prevention.
A literature survey was conducted using MEDLINE with a variety of search terms and using references from the author’s personal collection of articles. A formal search strategy and exclusion criteria were not employed and the review is therefore selective.
Where are we now?
Postmenopausal women have a higher prevalence of osteoporosis and greater incidence of fracture than older men. Despite the higher fracture risk in postmenopausal women, older men tend to have worse outcomes after fracture and poorer treatment rates, although less is known about the disease course in men. Multifaceted interventions to improve the screening and treatment for osteoporosis were recently developed.
Where do we need to go?
Improvement in treatment rates of those at risk, regardless of gender, is an important goal in osteoporosis management.
How do we get there?
Further development and evaluation of cost-effective, multifaceted interventions for screening and treatment of osteoporosis and fractures are needed; such interventions will likely improve the primary prevention of fractures.
- Baim, S, Binkley, N, Bilezikian, JP, Kendler, DL, Hans, DB, Lewiecki, EM, Silverman, S (2008) Official Positions of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry and executive summary of the 2007 ISCD Position Development Conference. J Clin Densitom. 11: pp. 75-91 CrossRef
- Black, DM, Delmas, PD, Eastell, R, Reid, IR, Boonen, S, Cauley, JA, Cosman, F, Lakatos, P, Leung, PC, Man, Z, Mautalen, C, Mesenbrink, P, Hu, H, Caminis, J, Tong, K, Rosario-Jansen, T, Krasnow, J, Hue, TF, Sellmeyer, D, Eriksen, EF, Cummings, SR (2007) Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 356: pp. 1809-1822 CrossRef
- Bogoch, ER, Elliot-Gibson, V, Beaton, DE, Jamal, SA, Josse, RG, Murray, TM (2006) Effective initiation of osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment for patients with a fragility fracture in an orthopaedic environment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 25-34 CrossRef
- Burge, R, Dawson-Hughes, B, Solomon, DH, Wong, JB, King, A, Tosteson, A (2007) Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025. J Bone Miner Res. 22: pp. 465-475 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Black, DM, Thompson, DE, Applegate, WB, Barrett-Connor, E, Musliner, TA, Palermo, L, Prineas, R, Rubin, SM, Scott, JC, Vogt, T, Wallace, R, Yates, AJ, LaCroix, AZ (1998) Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA. 280: pp. 2077-2082 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Cawthon, PM, Ensrud, KE, Cauley, JA, Fink, HA, Orwoll, ES (2006) BMD and risk of hip and nonvertebral fractures in older men: a prospective study and comparison with older women. J Bone Miner Res. 21: pp. 1550-1556 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, Ensrud, K, Delmas, PD, LaCroix, AZ, Vukicevic, S, Reid, DM, Goldstein, S, Sriram, U, Lee, A, Thompson, J, Armstrong, RA, Thompson, DD, Powles, T, Zanchetta, J, Kendler, D, Neven, P, Eastell, R (2010) Lasofoxifene in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 362: pp. 686-696 CrossRef
- Cummings, SR, San Martin, J, McClung, MR, Siris, ES, Eastell, R, Reid, IR, Delmas, P, Zoog, HB, Austin, M, Wang, A, Kutilek, S, Adami, S, Zanchetta, J, Libanati, C, Siddhanti, S, Christiansen, C (2009) Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 361: pp. 756-765 CrossRef
- Dell, RM, Greene, D, Anderson, D, Williams, K (2009) Osteoporosis disease management: what every orthopaedic surgeon should know. J Bone Joint Surg Am 91: pp. 79-86 CrossRef
- Faulkner, KG, Orwoll, E (2002) Implications in the use of T-scores for the diagnosis of osteoporosis in men. J Clin Densitom. 5: pp. 87-93 CrossRef
- Feldstein, AC, Nichols, G, Orwoll, E, Elmer, PJ, Smith, DH, Herson, M, Aickin, M (2005) The near absence of osteoporosis treatment in older men with fractures. Osteoporos Int. 16: pp. 953-962 CrossRef
- Greene, D, Dell, RM (2010) Outcomes of an osteoporosis disease-management program managed by nurse practitioners. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 22: pp. 326-329 CrossRef
- Haentjens, P, Magaziner, J, Colon-Emeric, CS, Vanderschueren, D, Milisen, K, Velkeniers, B, Boonen, S (2010) Meta-analysis: excess mortality after hip fracture among older women and men. Ann Intern Med. 152: pp. 380-390
- Harris, ST, Watts, NB, Genant, HK, McKeever, CD, Hangartner, T, Keller, M, Chesnut, CH, Brown, J, Eriksen, EF, Hoseyni, MS, Axelrod, DW, Miller, PD (1999) Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy With Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 282: pp. 1344-1352 CrossRef
- Hawkes, WG, Wehren, L, Orwig, D, Hebel, JR, Magaziner, J (2006) Gender differences in functioning after hip fracture. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 61: pp. 495-499
- Incidence of vertebral fracture in Europe: results from the European Prospective Osteoporosis Study (EPOS). J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:716–724.
- Jennings, LA, Auerbach, AD, Maselli, J, Pekow, PS, Lindenauer, PK, Lee, SJ (2010) Missed opportunities for osteoporosis treatment in patients hospitalized for hip fracture. J Am Geriatr Soc. 58: pp. 650-657 CrossRef
- Johnell, O, Kanis, JA, Oden, A, Johansson, H, Laet, C, Delmas, P, Eisman, JA, Fujiwara, S, Kroger, H, Mellstrom, D, Meunier, PJ, Melton, LJ, O’Neill, T, Pols, H, Reeve, J, Silman, A, Tenenhouse, A (2005) Predictive value of BMD for hip and other fractures. J Bone Miner Res. 20: pp. 1185-1194 CrossRef
- Kiebzak, GM, Beinart, GA, Perser, K, Ambrose, CG, Siff, SJ, Heggeness, MH (2002) Undertreatment of osteoporosis in men with hip fracture. Arch Intern Med. 162: pp. 2217-2222 CrossRef
- Looker, AC, Wahner, HW, Dunn, WL, Calvo, MS, Harris, TB, Heyse, SP, Johnston, CC, Lindsay, R (1998) Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US adults. Osteoporos Int. 8: pp. 468-489 CrossRef
- Maggi, S, Kelsey, JL, Litvak, J, Heyse, SP (1991) Incidence of hip fractures in the elderly: a cross-national analysis. Osteoporos Int. 1: pp. 232-241 CrossRef
- Majumdar, SR, Beaupre, LA, Harley, CH, Hanley, DA, Lier, DA, Juby, AG, Maksymowych, WP, Cinats, JG, Bell, NR, Morrish, DW (2007) Use of a case manager to improve osteoporosis treatment after hip fracture: results of a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 167: pp. 2110-2115 CrossRef
- Majumdar, SR, Johnson, JA, McAlister, FA, Bellerose, D, Russell, AS, Hanley, DA, Morrish, DW, Maksymowych, WP, Rowe, BH (2008) Multifaceted intervention to improve diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis in patients with recent wrist fracture: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ. 178: pp. 569-575
- McCloskey, EV, Beneton, M, Charlesworth, D, Kayan, K, Takats, D, Dey, A, Orgee, J, Ashford, R, Forster, M, Cliffe, J, Kersh, L, Brazier, J, Nichol, J, Aropuu, S, Jalava, T, Kanis, JA (2007) Clodronate reduces the incidence of fractures in community-dwelling elderly women unselected for osteoporosis: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized study. J Bone Miner Res. 22: pp. 135-141 CrossRef
- McClung, MR, Geusens, P, Miller, PD, Zippel, H, Bensen, WG, Roux, C, Adami, S, Fogelman, I, Diamond, T, Eastell, R, Meunier, PJ, Reginster, JY (2001) Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. Hip Intervention Program Study Group. N Engl J Med. 344: pp. 333-340 CrossRef
- America’s Bone Health: The State of Osteoporosis and Low Bone Mass in Our Nation. National Osteoporosis Foundation, Washington, DC
- Clinician’s Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. National Osteoporosis Foundation, Washington, DC
- Nguyen, ND, Ahlborg, HG, Center, JR, Eisman, JA, Nguyen, TV (2007) Residual lifetime risk of fractures in women and men. J Bone Miner Res. 22: pp. 781-788 CrossRef
- Nguyen, ND, Pongchaiyakul, C, Center, JR, Eisman, JA, Nguyen, TV (2005) Identification of high-risk individuals for hip fracture: a 14-year prospective study. J Bone Miner Res. 20: pp. 1921-1928 CrossRef
- Orwoll, E, Ettinger, M, Weiss, S, Miller, P, Kendler, D, Graham, J, Adami, S, Weber, K, Lorenc, R, Pietschmann, P, Vandormael, K, Lombardi, A (2000) Alendronate for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med. 343: pp. 604-610 CrossRef
- Otmar, R, Henry, MJ, Kotowicz, MA, Nicholson, GC, Korn, S, Pasco, JA (2011) Patterns of treatment in Australian men following fracture. Osteoporos Int. 22: pp. 249-254 CrossRef
- Riggs, BL, Melton, LJ, Robb, RA, Camp, JJ, Atkinson, EJ, Peterson, JM, Rouleau, PA, McCollough, CH, Bouxsein, ML, Khosla, S (2004) Population-based study of age and sex differences in bone volumetric density, size, geometry, and structure at different skeletal sites. J Bone Miner Res. 19: pp. 1945-1954 CrossRef
- Schousboe, JT, Ensrud, KE, Nyman, JA, Melton, LJ, Kane, RL (2005) Universal bone densitometry screening combined with alendronate therapy for those diagnosed with osteoporosis is highly cost-effective for elderly women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 53: pp. 1697-1704 CrossRef
- Schuit, SC, Klift, M, Weel, AE, Laet, CE, Burger, H, Seeman, E, Hofman, A, Uitterlinden, AG, Leeuwen, JP, Pols, HA (2004) Fracture incidence and association with bone mineral density in elderly men and women: the Rotterdam Study. Bone. 34: pp. 195-202 CrossRef
- Sigurdsson, G, Aspelund, T, Chang, M, Jonsdottir, B, Sigurdsson, S, Eiriksdottir, G, Gudmundsson, A, Harris, TB, Gudnason, V, Lang, TF (2006) Increasing sex difference in bone strength in old age: The Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik study (AGES-REYKJAVIK). Bone. 39: pp. 644-651 CrossRef
- Skedros, JG, Holyoak, JD, Pitts, TC (2006) Knowledge and opinions of orthopaedic surgeons concerning medical evaluation and treatment of patients with osteoporotic fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 18-24 CrossRef
- Vik, SA, Jantzi, M, Poss, J, Hirdes, J, Hanley, DA, Hogan, DB, Maxwell, CJ (2007) Factors associated with pharmacologic treatment of osteoporosis in an older home care population. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 62: pp. 872-878
- Werner, P (2005) Knowledge about osteoporosis: assessment, correlates and outcomes. Osteoporos Int. 16: pp. 115-127 CrossRef
- Xu, L, Lu, A, Zhao, X, Chen, X, Cummings, SR (1996) Very low rates of hip fracture in Beijing, People’s Republic of China: the Beijing Osteoporosis Project. Am J Epidemiol. 144: pp. 901-907
- Gender Differences in Osteoporosis and Fractures
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 469, Issue 7 , pp 1900-1905
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. San Francisco Coordinating Center, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, 185 Berry Street, Lobby 5, Suite 5700, San Francisco, CA, 94107-1762, USA