Prometheus Payment Model: Application to Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Prometheus Payment Model offers a potential solution to the failings of the current fee-for-service system and various forms of capitation. At the core of the Prometheus model are evidence-informed case rates (ECRs), which include a bundle of typical services that are informed by evidence and/or expert opinion as well as empirical data analysis, payment based on the severity of patients, and allowances for potentially avoidable complications (PACs) and other provider-specific variations in payer costs. We outline the methods and findings of the hip and knee arthroplasty ECRs with an emphasis on PACs. Of the 2076 commercially insured patients undergoing hip arthroplasty in our study, PAC costs totaled $7.8 million (14% of total costs; n = 699 index PAC stays). Similarly, PAC costs were $12.7 million (14% of total costs; n = 897 index PAC stays) for 3403 patients undergoing knee arthroplasty. By holding the providers clinically and financially responsible for PACs, and by segmenting and quantifying the type of PACs generated during and after the procedure, the Prometheus model creates an opportunity for providers to focus on the reduction of PACs, including readmissions, making the data actionable and turn the waste related to PAC costs into potential savings.
- Aaron, HJ (2008) Waste, we know you are out there. N. Engl. J. Med. 359: pp. 1865-1867 CrossRef
- AHRQ. Clinical Classification Software (CCS) for ICD-9 CM. 2008. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccs.jsp. Accessed Feb 21, 2009.
- AHRQ. Clinical Classification Software for Services and Procedures. 2008. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs_svcsproc/ccssvcproc.jsp. Accessed Feb 21, 2009.
- AHRQ. Quality Indicators: Guide to Patient Safety Indicators. 2007. Available at: http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/downloads/psi/psi_guide_v31.pdf. Accessed October 30, 2008.
- Coleman, EA, Parry, C, Chalmers, S, Min, SJ (2006) The care transitions intervention. Arch. Intern. Med. 166: pp. 1822-1828 CrossRef
- De Brantes F. Pay for Performance and Beyond: A Recipe for Improving Healthcare. The Quality Conundrum: Practical Approaches for Enhancing Patient Care. 2008:110–114. Available at: http://www.pwc.com/extweb/pwcpublications.nsf/docid/c0204123b329c1d38525726700760e29. Accessed October 30, 2008.
- De Brantes F, Camillus JA. Evidence-informed case rates: a new health care payment model. The Commonwealth Fund Web site. Available at: http://www.cmwf.org/Content/Publications/Fund-Reports/2007/Apr/Evidence-Informed-Case-Rates--A-New-Health-Care-Payment-Model.aspx. Accessed March 30, 2009.
- Brantes, F, Rastogi, A (2008) Evidence-informed case rates: paying for safer, more reliable care. Issue Brief (Commonwealth Fund) 40: pp. 1-13
- Brantes, F, D’Andrea, G, Rosenthal, M (2009) Should health care come with a warranty?. Health Aff. 28: pp. w678-w687 CrossRef
- Department of Health and Human Services Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Proposed Rules. 73:23547–23562. Available at: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/08-1135.pdf. Accessed October 29, 2008.
- ECRI Institute. Special Advisory: List of CMS Hospital-Acquired Conditions Expanded Under New Final Rule. 2008. Available at: https://www.ecri.org/PatientSafety/HrcReports/Pages/CMS_Final_Rule_on_Hospital_Acquired_Conditions.aspx. Accessed October 30, 2008.
- Encinosa, WE, Hellinger, FJ (2008) The impact of medical errors on ninety-day costs and outcomes: an examination of surgical patients. Health Serv. Res. 43: pp. 2067-2085 CrossRef
- Fabri, PJ, Zayas-Castro, JL (2008) Human error, not communication and systems, underlies surgical complications. Surgery. 144: pp. 557-563 CrossRef
- Fisher, ES, Staiger, DO, Bynum, JPW, Gottlieb, DJ (2007) Creating accountable care organizations: the extended hospital medical staff. Health Aff. 26: pp. w44-w57 CrossRef
- Fuchs, VR (2008) Three ‘inconvenient truths’ about health care. N. Engl. J. Med. 359: pp. 1749-1751 CrossRef
- Haentjens, P, Autier, P, Barette, M, Boonen, S (2003) Costs of care after hospital discharge among women with a femoral neck fracture. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 414: pp. 250-258 CrossRef
- Iezzoni, LI (2003) Risk Adjustment for Measuring Health Care Outcomes. Health Administration Press, Chicago, IL
- Jack, BW, Chetty, VK, Anthony, D, Greenwald, JL, Sanchez, GM, Johnson, AE, Forsythe, SR, O’Donnell, JK, Paasche-Orlow, MK, Manasseh, C, Martin, S, Culpepper, L (2009) A reengineered hospital discharge program to decrease rehospitalization: a randomized trial. Ann. Intern. Med. 150: pp. 178-187
- O’Kane, M, Corrigan, J, Foote, SM, Tunis, SR, Isham, GJ, Nichols, LM, Fisher, ES, Ebeler, JC, Block, JA, Bradley, BE, Cassel, CK, Ness, DL, Tooker, J (2008) Crossroads in quality. Health Aff (Millwood) 27: pp. 749-758 CrossRef
- Mechanic, RE, Altman, SH (2009) Payment reform options: episode payment is a good place to start. Health Aff (Millwood) 28: pp. w262-w271 CrossRef
- McGlynn, EA, Asch, SM, Adams, J, Keesey, J, Hicks, J, DeCristofaro, A, Kerr, EA (2003) The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N. Engl. J. Med. 348: pp. 2635-2645 CrossRef
- MedPAC. Report to the Congress: Promoting Greater Efficiency in Medicare. 2007. Available at: http://www.medpac.gov/documents/jun07_EntireReport.pdf. Accessed October 29, 2008.
- Mutti A. Policies to encourage collective accountability: readmissions and bundled payment. Available at: http://www.ehcca.com/presentations/hcii1/mutti_1.pdf. Accessed October 29, 2008.
- Neter, J, Wasserman, W, Kutner, MH (1990) Applied Linear Statistical Models. Irwin, Homewood, IL
- PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Health Research Institute. The Price of Excess: Identifying Waste in Healthcare Spending. 2008. Available at: http://pwchealth.com/cgi-local/hregister.cgi?link=reg/waste.pdf. Accessed October 30, 2008.
- Prometheus Payment Inc. Available at: http://www.prometheuspayment.org/. 2008. Accessed Feb 20, 2009.
- Rosenthal, MB (2008) Beyond pay for performance—emerging models of provider-payment reform. N. Engl. J. Med. 359: pp. 1197-1200 CrossRef
- Wharam, JF, Sulmasy, D (2009) Improving the quality of health care: who is responsible for what?. JAMA. 301: pp. 215-217 CrossRef
- Wennberg, JE, Bronner, K, Skinner, JS, Fisher, ES, Goodman, DC (2009) Inpatient care intensity and patients’ ratings of their hospital experiences. Health Aff (Millwood) 28: pp. 103-112 CrossRef
- Wilson, NA, Schneller, ES, Montgomery, K, Bozic, KJ (2008) Hip and knee implants: current trends and policy considerations. Health Aff (Millwood) 27: pp. 1587-1598 CrossRef
- Prometheus Payment Model: Application to Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 467, Issue 10 , pp 2587-2597
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Prometheus Payment®, Bridges to Excellence, 10326 Sandy Lane, Munster, IN, 46321, USA
- 2. Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA
- 3. Masspro, Waltham, MA, USA
- 4. Statworks, Canton, MA, USA
- 5. Bridges to Excellence, Newtown, CT, USA