Is a Sliding Hip Screw or IM Nail the Preferred Implant for Intertrochanteric Fracture Fixation?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study was performed to determine whether patients who sustain an intertrochanteric fracture have better outcomes when stabilized using a sliding hip screw or an intramedullary nail. A 20% sample of Part A and B entitled Medicare beneficiaries 65 years or older was used to generate a cohort of patients who sustained intertrochanteric femur fractures between 1999 and 2001. Two fracture implant groups, intramedullary nail and sliding hip screw, were identified using Current Procedural Terminology and International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision codes. The cohort consisted of 43,659 patients. Patients treated with an intramedullary nail had higher rates of revision surgery during the first year than those treated with a sliding hip screw (7.2% intramedullary nail versus 5.5% sliding hip screw). Mortality rates at 30 days (14.2% intramedullary nail versus 15.8% sliding hip screw) and 1 year (30.7% intramedullary nail versus 32.5% sliding hip screw) were similar. Adjusted secondary outcome measures showed significant increases in the intramedullary nail group relative to the sliding hip screw group for index hospital length of stay, days of rehabilitation services in the first 6 months after discharge, and total expenditures for doctor and hospital services.
Level of Evidence: Level III, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Adams CI, Robinson CM, Court-Brown CM, McQueen MM. Prospective randomized controlled trial of an intramedullary nail versus dynamic screw and plate for intertrochanteric fractures of the femur. J Orthop Trauma. 2001;15:394–400. CrossRef
- Ahrengart L, Tornkvist H, Fornander P, Thorngren KG, Pasanen L, Wahlstrom P, Honkonen S, Lindgren U. A randomized study of the compression hip screw and Gamma nail in 426 fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;401:209–222. CrossRef
- Anglen JO, Weinstein JN, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Reseach Committee. Nail or plate fixation of intertrochanteric hip fractures: changing pattern of practice. A review of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery database. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:700–707. CrossRef
- Aune AK, Ekeland A, Odegaard B, Grogaard B, Alho A. Gamma nail vs compression screw for trochanteric femoral fractures:15 reoperations in a prospective, randomized study of 378 patients. Acta Orthop Scand. 1994;65:127–130. CrossRef
- Bannister GC, Gibson AG, Ackroyd CE, Newman JH. The fixation and prognosis of trochanteric fractures: a randomized prospective controlled trial. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;254:242–246.
- Baron JA, Lu-Yao G, Barrett J, McLerran D, Fisher ES. Internal validation of Medicare claims data. Epidemiology. 1994;5:541–544. CrossRef
- Boriani S, Bettelli G, Zmerly H, Specchia L, Bungaro P, Montanari G, Capelli A, Canella P, Regnoli R, Rispoli R, et al. Results of the multicentric Italian experience on the Gamma nail: a report on 648 cases. Orthopedics. 1991;14:1307–1314.
- Bridle SH, Patel AD, Bircher M, Calvert PT. Fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur: a randomised prospective comparison of the Gamma nail and the dynamic hip screw. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73:330–334.
- Burge R, Dawson-Hughes B, Solomon DH, Wong JB, King A, Tosteson A: Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:465–475. CrossRef
- Butt MS, Krikler SJ, Nafie S, Ali MS. Comparison of dynamic hip screw and gamma nail: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial. Injury. 1995;26:615–618. CrossRef
- Davis J, Harris MB, Duval M, D′Ambrosia R. Pertrochanteric fractures treated with the Gamma nail: technique and report of early results. Orthopedics. 1991;14:939–942.
- Dujardin FH, Benez C, Polle G, Alain J, Biga N, Thomine JM. Prospective randomized comparison between a dynamic hip screw and a mini-invasive static nail in fractures of the trochanteric area: preliminary results. J Orthop Trauma. 2001;15:401–406. CrossRef
- Esser MP, Kassab JY, Jones DH. Trochanteric fractures of the femur: a randomised prospective trial comparing the Jewett nail-plate with the dynamic hip screw. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1986;68:557–560.
- Goldacre MJ, Roberts SE, Yeates D. Mortality after admission to hospital with fractured neck of femur: database study. BMJ. 2002;325:868–869. CrossRef
- Haidukewych GJ, Israel TA, Berry DJ. Reverse obliquity fractures of the intertrochanteric region of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:643–650.
- Hardy DC, Descamps PY, Krallis P, Fabeck L, Smets P, Bertens CL, Delince PE. Use of an intramedullary hip-screw compared with a compression hip-screw with a plate for intertrochanteric femoral fractures: a prospective, randomized study of one hundred patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:618–630.
- Harrington P, Nihal A, Singhania AK, Howell FR. Intramedullary hip screw versus sliding hip screw for unstable intertrochanteric femoral fractures in the elderly. Injury. 2002;33:23–28. CrossRef
- Heyse-Moore GH, MacEachern AG, Evans DC. Treatment of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur: a comparison of the Richards screw-plate with the Jewett nail-plate. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1983;65:262–267.
- http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/RuralUrbanCommunitingAreaCodes/. Accessed 4 Feb 2008.
- Iezzoni LI, Daley J, Heeren T, Foley SM, Fisher ES, Duncan C, Hughes JS, Coffman GA. Identifying complications of care using administrative data. Med Care. 1994;32:700–715. CrossRef
- Jacobs RR, Armstrong HJ, Whitaker JH, Pazell J. Treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures with a compression hip screw and a nail plate. J Trauma. 1976;16:599–603.
- Kim WY, Han CH, Park JI, Kim JY. Failure of intertrochanteric fracture fixation with a dynamic hip screw in relation to pre-operative fracture stability and osteoporosis. Int Orthop. 2001;25:360–362. CrossRef
- Koval KJ, Lurie J, Zhou W, Sparks MB, Cantu RV, Sporer SM, Weinstein J. Ankle fractures in the elderly: what you get depends on where you live and who you see. J Orthop Trauma. 2005;19:635–639. CrossRef
- Koval KJ, Zuckerman JD. Intertrochanteric fractures. In: Heckman JD. Bucholz RW, eds. Rockwood, Green′s Fractures in Adults. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001:1635–1663.
- Kyle RF, Cabanela ME, Russell TA, Swiontkowski MF, Winquist RA, Zuckerman JD, Schmidt AH, Koval KJ. Fractures of the proximal part of the femur. Instr Course Lect. 1995;44:227–253.
- Lindsey RW, Teal P, Probe RA, Rhoads D, Davenport S, Schauder K. Early experience with the gamma interlocking nail for peritrochanteric fractures of the proximal femur. J Trauma. 1991;31:1649–1658. CrossRef
- Miller CW. Survival and ambulation following hip fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978;60:930–934.
- Moran CG, Wenn RT, Sikand M, Taylor AM. Early mortality after hip fracture: is delay before surgery important? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:483–489. CrossRef
- O′Brien PJ, Meek RN, Blachut PA, Broekhuyse HM, Sabharwal S. Fixation of intertrochanteric hip fractures: gamma nail versus dynamic hip screw. A randomized, prospective study. Can J Surg. 1995;38:516–520.
- Osnes EK, Lofthus CM, Falch JA, Meyer HE, Stensvold I, Kristiansen IS, Nordsletten L. More postoperative femoral fractures with the Gamma nail than the sliding screw plate in the treatment of trochanteric fractures. Acta Orthop Scand. 2001;72:252–256. CrossRef
- Pajarinen J, Lindahl J, Michelsson O, Savolainen V, Hirvensalo E. Pertrochanteric femoral fractures treated with a dynamic hip screw or a proximal femoral nail: a randomised study comparing post-operative rehabilitation. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87:76–81. CrossRef
- Park SR, Kang JS, Kim HS, Lee WH, Kim YH. Treatment of intertrochanteric fracture with the Gamma AP locking nail or by a compression hip screw: a randomised prospective trial. Int Orthop. 1998;22:157–160. CrossRef
- Parker MJ, Handoll HH. Gamma and other cephalocondylic intramedullary nails versus extramedullary implants for extracapsular hip fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005;4:CD000093.
- Roberts SE, Goldacre MJ. Time trends and demography of mortality after fractured neck of femur in an English population, 1968–98: database study. BMJ. 2003;327:771–775. CrossRef
- Zuckerman JD. Hip fracture. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:1519–1525. CrossRef
- Is a Sliding Hip Screw or IM Nail the Preferred Implant for Intertrochanteric Fracture Fixation?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 11 , pp 2827-2832
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Center in Musculoskeletal Diseases, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 2. Department of Orthopaedics, Dartmouth Medical School, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 3. The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 4. Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 5. Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, USA