Sarcoidosis and Small-fiber Neuropathy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Chronic pain is one of the most commonly reported symptoms among sarcoidosis patients. Not only does it significantly affect quality of life, but it also is a source of frustration for both the patient and physician because the etiology for pain often is unknown. Although patients typically complain of neuropathic-type pain, nerve conduction studies and other conventional diagnostic procedures frequently fail to reveal objective evidence of neurologic disease. However, in recent years, the growing use of specialized tests such as skin biopsy and sudomotor testing has helped to establish the diagnosis of small-fiber neuropathy as the cause of pain in these patients via objective and quantifiable means. Management of sarcoidosis small-fiber neuropathy should consist of target-directed treatment of the underlying disease and appropriate symptomatic therapy.
- Judson, MA (2010) Small fiber neuropathy in sarcoidosis: something beneath the surface. Resp Med 105: pp. 1-2 CrossRef
- Hoitsma, E, Vries, J, Santen-Hoeufft, M (2003) Impact of pain in a Dutch sarcoidosis patient population. Sarcoid Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 20: pp. 33-39
- Bakkers, M, Merkies, ISJ, Lauria, G, Devigili, G, Penza, P, Lombardi, R, Hermans, MCE (2009) Intraepidermal nerve fiber density and its application in sarcoidosis. Neurology 73: pp. 1142-1148 CrossRef
- Tavee, J, Zhou, L (2009) Small fiber neuropathy: a burning problem. Cleveland Clinic J Med 76: pp. 297-305 CrossRef
- Burns, TM, Dyck, PHB, Aksamit, AJ, Dyck, PJ (2006) The natural history and long-term outcome of 57 limb sarcoidosis neuropathy cases. J Neurolog Sci 244: pp. 77-87 CrossRef
- Said, G, Lacroix, C, Plante-Bordeneuve, V, Page, L, Pico, F, Presles, O (2002) Nerve granulomas and vasculitis in sarcoid peripheral neuropathy: a clinicopathological study of 11 patients. Brain 125: pp. 264-275 CrossRef
- Hoitsma, E, Faber, C, Reulen, JPH, Sommer, C, Baets, M, Drent, M (2002) Small fibre neuropathy in sarcoidosis. Lancet 359: pp. 2085-86 CrossRef
- Parambil, JG, Tavee, JO, Zhou, L, Pearson, K, Culver, DA (2010) Efficacy of intravenous immunoglobulin for small fiber neuropathy associated with sarcoidosis. Resp Med 105: pp. 101-105 CrossRef
- Hays, A (2010) Utility of skin biopsy to evaluate peripheral neuropathy. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 10: pp. 101-107 CrossRef
- Gorson, KC, Hermann, DN, Tiagaraghan, R (2008) etal. Nonlength dependent small fiber neuropathy/ganglionopathy. J Neurol. Neuropsychiatry 79: pp. 163-169
- Pain and autonomic dysfunction in patients with sarcoidosis and small fiber neuropathy. J Neurol. 2010;257:2086–90.
- Smulders, NM, Bast, A, Kroonenburgh, MJ, Drent, M (2008) Improvement of cardiac sympathetic nerve function in sarcoidosis. Sarcoid Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 25: pp. 140-142
- Hoitsma E, Faber C, van Kroonenburgh MJ, Gorgels, APN, Hladers SG, et al. Association of small fiber neuropathy with cardiac sympathetic dysfunction in sarcoidosis. Sarcoid Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2005;43–50.
- Kleijn, WP, Vries, J, Lower, EE (2009) etal. Fatigue in sarcoidosis: a systematic review. Curr Opp. Pulm Med 15: pp. 499-506 CrossRef
- Vital, A, Lagueny, A, Ferrer, X, Louiset, P, Canron, MH, Vital, C (2008) Sarcoid neuropathy: clinico-pathological study of 4 new cases and review of the literature. Clin Neuropath 27: pp. 96-105
- Lauria, G, Morbin, M, Lombardi, R, Borgna, M (2003) Axonal swellings predict the degeneration of epidermal nerve fibers in painful neuropathies. Neurology 61: pp. 631-636
- Sato, H, Grutters, JC, Pantelidis, P (2002) HLA-DQB1*0201: a marker for good prognosis in British and Dutch patients with sarcoidosis. Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol 27: pp. 406-412
- Voorter, CEM, Drent, M, Hoitsma, E, Faber, KG, Berg-Loonen, EM (2005) Association of HLA DQB1*0602 in sarcoidosis patients with small fiber neuropathy. Sarcoid Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 22: pp. 129-132
- Sharma, KR, Saadia, D, Facca, AG, Resnick, S, Ayaar, DR (2007) Diagnostic role of deep tendon reflex measurement in small-fiber neuropathy. J Peripher Nerv Syst 12: pp. 223-231 CrossRef
- • Devigili G, Tugnoli V, Penza P, Camozzi F, Lombardi R, Melli G, Broglio L, Graneri E, Lauria G. The diagnostic criteria for small fiber neuropathy: from symptoms to neuropathology. Brain. 2008:1–14. This is an in-depth review of diagnostic procedures and causes for small-fiber neuropathy.
- McArthur, JC, Stocks, EA, Hauer, P, Cornblath, DR, Griffin, JW (1998) Epidermal nerve fiber density: normative reference range and diagnostic efficiency. Arch Neurol 55: pp. 1513-20 CrossRef
- Lauria, G, Cornblath, DR, Johansson, O (2005) EFNS Guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. Eur J Neurol 12: pp. 1-12 CrossRef
- Shy, ME, Frohman, EM, So, YT, Arezzo, JC, Cornblatj, DR (2003) Quantitative sensory testing: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 60: pp. 898-904
- Peltier, A, Smith, AG, Russell, JW, Sheikh, K, Bixby, B (2009) Reliability of quantitative sudomotor axon reflex testing and quantitative sensory testing in neuropathy of impaired glucose regulation. Muscle Nerve 39: pp. 529-535 CrossRef
- Low, VA, Sandroni, P, Fealey, RD, Low, PA (2006) Detection of small-fiber neuropathy by sudomotor testing. Muscle Nerve 34: pp. 57-61 CrossRef
- Novak, V, Freimer, ML, Kissel, JT, Sahenk, Z, Periquet, IM, Nash, SM, Collins, MP, Mendell, JR (2001) Autonomic impairment in painful neuropathy. Neurology 56: pp. 861-868
- Hoitsma, E, Faber, C, Santen-Houefft, M, DeVries, J, Reulen, JPH, Drent, M (2006) Improvement of small fiber neuropathy in a sarcoidosis patient after treatment with infliximab. Sarcoid Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 23: pp. 73-77
- Heaney D, Geddes J, Nagendren K, Swash M. Sarcoid polyneuropathy responsive to intravenous immunoglobulin.
- Hoitsma, E, Faber, C, Drent, M, Sharma, OP (2004) Neurosarcoidosis: a clinical dilemma. Lancet Neurol 3: pp. 397-407 CrossRef
- Tavee, J, Rensel, M, Pope Planchon, S, Stone, L (2010) Effects of Meditation on Pain and Quality of Life in Multiple Sclerosis and Polyneuropathy: A controlled study. Neurology 74: pp. A160
- Smith, AG, Russell, J, Feldman, EL (2006) Lifestyle intervention for pre-diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 29: pp. 1294-9 CrossRef
- Sarcoidosis and Small-fiber Neuropathy
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 201-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Small-fiber neuropathy
- Industry Sectors