Colloid cyst headache
- Roderick C. Spears MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Colloid cysts of the third ventricle are rare intracranial tumors, accounting for 0.5% of intracranial tumors. Colloid cysts represent 2% of gliomas, are more common in men than women, and usually are diagnosed between the third and fifth decades of life. The primary presenting complaint of this disorder is headache. The headaches are described as intermittent, severe and intense, and of short duration and usually are located frontally. The main associated features are nausea and vomiting. The headache can be relieved by lying down, which is unusual for headaches secondary to intracranial tumors. Colloid cysts of the third ventricle are diagnosed by computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging and treatment is surgical. This rare type of headache disorder is significant because it is associated with sudden death. Recognition of the unusual features of colloid cyst headache may result in decreased mortality in this disorder.
- Lach B, Scheithauer BW, Gregor A, Wick MR: Colloid cyst of the third ventricle: a comparative immunohistochemical study of neuraxis cysts and choroid plexus epithelium. J Neurosurg 1993, 78:101–111.
- Schroder R, Sanker P, Thun F, Richard KE: Cysts of the third ventricle. Zentralbl Neurochir 1990, 51:42–48.
- Shuangshoti S, Netsky MG: Neuroepithelial (colloid) cysts of the nervous system: further observations on pathogenesis, location, incidence, and histochemistry. Neurology 1966, 16:887–903.
- Young WB, Silberstein SD: Paroxysmal headache caused by colloid cysts of the third ventricle: case report and review of the literature. Headache 1997, 37:15–20. Interesting study. CrossRef
- Kelly R: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle: analysis of 29 cases. Brain 1951, 74:23–65. CrossRef
- Michels LG, Rutz D: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle: a radiologic-pathologic correlation. Arch Neurol 1982, 39:640–643.
- Yenermen MH, Bowerman CI, Haymaker W: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle: a clinical study of 54 cases in the light of previous publications. Acta Neuroveg 1958, 17:221–277. Landmark study. CrossRef
- Buttner A, Winkler PA, Eisenmenger W, Weis S: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle with fatal outcome: a report of two cases and review of the literature. Int J Legal Med 1997, 110:260–266. Interesting study. CrossRef
- Little JR, MacCarty CS: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle. J Neurosurg 1974, 39:230–235.
- Antunes JL, Louis KM, Ganti SR: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle. Neurosurgery 1980, 7:450–455. CrossRef
- Camacho A, Abernathey CD, Kelly PJ, Laws ER: Colloid cysts: experience with the management of 84 cases since the introduction of computed tomography. Neurosurgery 1989, 24:693–700. CrossRef
- Cetinalp E, Ildan F, Boyar B, et al.: Colloid cysts of the third ventricle. Neurosurg Rev 1994, 17:135–139. CrossRef
- Hall WA, Lunsford LD: Changing concepts in the treatment of colloid cysts: an 11-year experience in the CT era. J Neurosurg 1987, 66:186–191.
- Maeder PP, Holtas SL, Basibuyuk LN, et al.: Colloid cyst of the third ventricle: correlation with MR and CT findings with histology and chemical analysis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1990, 11:575–581.
- Mathiesen T, Grane P, Lindgren L, Lindquist C: Third ventricle colloid cyst: a consecutive 12-year series. J Neurosurg 1997, 86:5–12. CrossRef
- Levrier O, Farnarier P, Peragut JC, et al.: Value of MRI in the morphological evaluation of tumors of the third ventricle. J Neuroradiol 1992, 19:23–37.
- Wilms G, Marchal G, van Hecke P, et al.: Colloid cyst of the third ventricle: MR findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1990, 14:527–531. CrossRef
- Ryder JW, Kleinschmidt-DeMasters B, Keller TS: Sudden deterioration and death in patients with benign tumors of the third ventricle area. J Neurosurg 1986, 64:216–223.
- Apuzzo ML: Surgery of the Third Ventricle. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1987.
- Hernesniemi J, Leivo S: Management outcome in third ventricular colloid cysts in a defined population: a series of 40 patients treated mainly by transcallosal microsurgery. Surg Neurol 1996, 45:2–14. CrossRef
- Lewis AI, Crone KR, Taha J, et al.: Surgical resection of third ventricle colloid cysts: preliminary results comparing transcallosal microsurgery with endoscopy. J Neurosurg 1994, 81:174–178. CrossRef
- Weisz RR, Fazal M: Colloid cyst of the third ventricle: a neurological emergency. Ann Emerg Med 1983, 12:783–785. CrossRef
- Brun A, Egund N: The pathogenesis of cerebral symptoms in colloid cysts of the third ventricle: a clinical and pathoanatomical study. Acta Neurol Scand 1973, 49:525–535. CrossRef
- Opeskin K, Anderson RM, Lee KA: Colloid cyst of the 3rd ventricle as a cause of acute neurological deterioration and sudden death. J Paediatr Child Health 1993, 29:476–477. CrossRef
- Colloid cyst headache
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 297-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology, St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center, The Headache Institute, 1000 10th Avenue, Suite 1C-10, 10019, New York, NY, USA