Should butalbital-containing analgesics be banned? Yes.
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the United States analgesic-overuse headache is often caused by butalbital-containing analgesics. These agents can cause physical and psychological dependency, and dangerous withdrawal syndromes. Butalbital-containing analgesics have already been banned in several European countries. They are proven effective in tension-type headache, but not in migraine; there are many alternative treatments for migraine and tension-type headache. In the 20 years since analgesic overuse headache was widely recognized, butalbital overuse has remained distressingly common. It is time to ban these agents.
- Castillo J, Munoz P, Guitera V, Pascual J: Epidemiology of chronic daily headache in the general population. Headache 1999, 39:190–196. CrossRef
- Scher AI, Stewart WF, Liberman J, Lipton RB: Prevalence of frequent headache in a population sample. Headache 1998, 38:497–506. CrossRef
- Newman LC, Lipton RB, Stewart WF: Severe daily headache in a population sample: results from the American migraine study (submitted for publication). 1998 (UnPub).
- Diamond S, Dalessio DJ: Drug abuse in headache. In The Practicing Physician’s Approach to Headache. Edited by Diamond S, Dalessio DJ. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1982:114–121
- Wilkinson M: Introduction. In Drug Induced Headache. Edited by Diener HC, Wilkinson MS. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1988:1–2.
- Mathew NT: Drug induced headache. Neurol Clin 1990, 8:903–912.
- Saper JR: Ergotamine: dependency: a review. Headache 1987, 27:435–438. CrossRef
- Saper JR: Chronic headache syndromes. Neurol Clin 1989, 7:387–412.
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Solomon S, Mathew NT: Classification of daily and near daily headaches: proposed revisions to the IHS classification. Headache 1994, 34:1–7. CrossRef
- Saper JR, Jones JM: Ergotamine tartrate dependency: features and possible mechanisms. Clin Neuropharmacol 1986, 9:244–256. CrossRef
- Andersson PG: Ergotism: the clinical picture. In Drug Induced Headache. Edited by Diener HC, Wilkinson MS. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1988:16–19
- Rapoport AM, Weeks RE, Sheftell FD, et al.: The “analgesic washout period”: a critical variable evaluation in the evaluation of headache treatment efficacy. Neurology 1986, 36:100–101.
- Baumgartner C, Wessly P, Bingol C, et al.: Long-term prognosis of analgesic withdrawal in patients with drug-induced headaches. Headache 1989, 29:510–514. CrossRef
- Mathew NT, Reuveni U, Perez F: Transformed or evolutive migraine. Headache 1987, 27:102–106. CrossRef
- Warner JS: Rebound headaches: a review. Headache 1999, 10:207–219.
- Kudrow L: Paradoxical effects of frequent analgesic use. Adv Neurol 1982, 33:335–341.
- Rapoport AM: Analgesic rebound headache. Headache 1988, 28:662–665. CrossRef
- Diener HC, Dichgans J, Scholz E, et al.: Analgesic-induced chronic headache: long-term results of withdrawal therapy. J Neurol 1989, 236:9–14. CrossRef
- Rasmussen BK, Jensen R, Olesen J: Impact of headache on sickness absence and utilization of medical services. J Epidemiol Community Health 1992, 46:443–446. CrossRef
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society: Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgia, and facial pain. Cephalalgia 1988, 8:1–96. CrossRef
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Sliwinski M. Classification of daily and near-daily headaches: field trial of revised IHS criteria. Neurology 1996, 47:871–875.
- Silverman K, Evans SM, Strain EC, Griffiths RR: Withdrawal syndrome after the double-blind cessation of caffeine consumption. N Engl J Med 1992, 327:1109–1114. CrossRef
- Scholz E, Diener HC, Geiselhart S, Wilkinson M: Drug-induced headache: does a critical dosage exist? In Drug-Induced Headache. Edited by Diener HC. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1988:29–43.
- Fisher CM: Analgesic rebound headache refuted. Headache 1988, 28:666. CrossRef
- Bowdler I, Killian J, Gänsslen-Blumberg S: The association between analgesic abuse and headache: coincidental or causal. Headache 1990, 30:494.
- Lance F, Parkes C, Wilkinson M: Does analgesic abuse cause headache de novo? Headache 1988: 61–62.
- Silberstein SD, McCrory DC. Butalbital in the treatment of headache: history, pharmacology, and efficacy. Headache 2001, 41:953–967. A comprehensive evaluation of butalbital compounds in the management of headache disorders and the danger associated with butalbital use. CrossRef
- Friedman AP: Assessment of Fiorinal with codeine in the treatment of tension headache. Clin Ther 1986, 8:703–721.
- Friedman AP, Boyles WF, Elkind AH, et al.: Fiorinal with codeine in the treatment of tension headache: the contribution of components to the combination drug. Clin Ther 1988, 10:303–315.
- Friedman AP, Diserio FJ: Symptomatic treatment of chronically recurring tension headache: a placebocontrolled, multicenter investigation of Fioricet and acetaminophen with codeine. Clin Ther 1987, 10:69–81.
- Glassman JM, Soyka JP: Muscle contraction (tension) headache: a double blind study comparing the efficacy and safety of meprobamate-aspirin with butalbital-aspirinphenacetin-caffeine. Curr Ther Res 1980, 28:904–909.
- Goldstein J, Gawel MJ, Winner P, et al.: Comparison of butorphanol nasal spray and fiorinal with codeine in the treatment of migraine. Headache 1988, 38:516–522. CrossRef
- Hwang DS, Mietlowski MJ, Friedman AP: Fiorinal with codeine in the management of tension headache: impact of placebo response. Clin Ther 1987, 9:201–222.
- Thorpe P: Controlled and uncontrolled studies on “Fiorinal-PA” for symptomatic relief in tension headache. Med J Aust 1970, 2:180–181.
- von Graffenried B, Hill RC, Nuesch E: Headache as a model for assessing mild analgesic drugs. J Clin Pharmacol 1980, 20:131–144.
- vonGraffenried B, Nuesch E: Nonmigrainous headache for the evaluation of oral analgesics. J Clin Pharmacol 1980, 10:225–231.
- Sellers EM, Hoornweg K, Busto UE, Romach MK: Risk of drug dependence and abuse posed by barbiturate-containing analgesics. Can J Clin Pharmacol 1999, 6:18–25. A review of the safety of barbiturates alone and in combination with analgesics.
- McLean W, Boucher EA, Brennan M, et al.: Is there an indication for the use of barbiturate-containing analgesic agents in the treatment of pain? Guidelines for their safe use and withdrawal management. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2000, 7:191–197. A summary on the effectiveness, safety, and risks associated with barbiturate-containing analgesics and on the approach to management of withdrawal for barbiturate-containing analgesics.
- Hobbs WR, Rall TW, Verdoorn TA: Hypnotics and sedatives: ethanol. In The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. Edited by Goodman LS, Gilman A. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1996:361–396.
- Micromedex®: Butalbital. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. (Volume 107). 2000. Micromedex® Healthcare Series.
- Kay DC, Blackburn AB, Buckingham JA, Karacan I: Human pharmacology of sleep. In Pharmacology of Sleep. Edited by Williams RL, Karacan L. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1976:83–210.
- Mendelson WB, Gillin JC, Wyatt RJ: Human Sleep and Its Disorders. New York: Plenum Press; 1977.
- Ciraulo DA, Greenblatt DJ: Sedative-, hypnotic-, or anxiolyticrelated disorders. In Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Edited by Kaplan HI, Sadock BJ. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1995:872–887.
- Sullivan JT, Sellers EM: Treatment of the barbiturate abstinence syndrome. Med J Aust 1986, 145:456–458.
- Fraser HF, Wikier A, Essig CF, Isbell H: Degree of physical dependence induced by secobarbital or pentobarbital. JAMA 1958, 166:126–129.
- Hering R, Steiner TJ: Abrupt outpatient withdrawal from medication in analgesic-abusing migraineurs. Lancet 1991, 337:1442–1443. An observational study supporting the role of analgesic overuse as a factor in chronic daily headache. CrossRef
- Raja M, Altavista MC, Azzoni A, Albanese A: Severe barbiturate withdrawal syndrome in migrainous patients. Headache 1996, 36:119–121. CrossRef
- Lipton RB, Stewart WF, VonKorff M: Burden of migraine: societal costs and therapeutic opportunities. Neurology 1997, 48:4–9.
- Lipton RB, Stewart WF, VonKorff M: The burden of migraine: a review of cost to society. Pharmaco Economics 1994, 6:215–222. Direct and indirect costs for migraine society.
- Meletiche DM, Lofland JH, Young WB: Quality of life differences between patients with episodic and transformed migraine. Headache 2001, 41:573–578. CrossRef
- Diener HC, Gerber WD, Geiselhart S: Short and long-term effects of withdrawal therapy in drug-induced headache. In Drug-Induced Headache. Edited by Diener HC, Wilkinson M. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1988:133–142.
- Osterhaus JT, Gutterman DL, Plachetka JR: Healthcare resource and lost labor costs of migraine headache in the United States. Pharmaco Economics 1992, 2:67–76.
- VonKorff M, Stewart WF, Simon DS, Lipton RB: Migraine and reduced work performance: a population-based diary study. Neurology 1998, 50:1741–1745.
- Should butalbital-containing analgesics be banned? Yes.
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 151-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links