Novel Metabolic Drugs and Blood Pressure: Implications for the Treatment of Obese Hypertensive Patients?
- Stefan EngeliAffiliated withInstitute of Clinical Pharmacology, Hannover Medical School
- , Jens JordanAffiliated withInstitute of Clinical Pharmacology, Hannover Medical School Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hypertension and obesity often coexist, exposing patients to cardiovascular and metabolic risks, particularly type 2 diabetes mellitus. Moreover, obesity may render hypertensive patients treatment resistant. We review how drugs recently approved for obesity or type 2 diabetes mellitus treatment affect blood pressure. The weight-reducing drug lorcaserin induces modest reductions in body weight while slightly improving blood pressure. The fixed low-dose topiramate/phentermine combinations elicit larger reductions in body weight and blood pressure. Concomitant improvements in glucose metabolism, adiposity, and blood pressure differentiate the first clinically available SGLT2 inhibitor dapagliflozin from other oral antidiabetic drugs. Yet, the mechanisms through which metabolic drugs affect blood pressure and their interaction with antihypertensive drugs are poorly understood. Blood pressure-lowering effects of metabolic drugs could be exploited in the clinical management of obese hypertensive patients with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in patients with difficult to control arterial hypertension.
KeywordsHypertension Obesity Type 2 diabetes Blood pressure Lorcaserin Phentermine/topiramate combination Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibition
- Novel Metabolic Drugs and Blood Pressure: Implications for the Treatment of Obese Hypertensive Patients?
Current Hypertension Reports
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 470-474
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Type 2 diabetes
- Blood pressure
- Phentermine/topiramate combination
- Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibition
- Industry Sectors