Early Detection and Screening for Colorectal Neoplasia: Making Sense of the Guidelines
- Robert S. Bresalier
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Each year, approximately 1 million new cases of colorectal cancer (CRC) occur worldwide, with substantial morbidity and mortality. For colon cancer in the United States, 147,000 new cases and 50,000 colon cancer-related deaths have been estimated for the coming year. The long natural history of colorectal neoplasia affords the opportunity to improve survival from this disease through preventive measures. Currently, screening for adenomatous polyps and early-stage cancers provides the best opportunity to improve survival. Growing knowledge of CRC pathogenesis and its natural history is allowing the development of new tools to identify those who will benefit most from colon cancer screening and is defining proper surveillance intervals. Recently, guidelines for screening for colorectal neoplasia were revised substantially by several organizations, based on developing technologies and a growing body of data regarding the efficacy of CRC screening.
Guidelines: Understanding the Updates...
- Levin, B, Lieberman, DA, Mcfarland, B (2008) Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin 58: pp. 130-160 CrossRef
- Screening for colorectal cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 149: pp. 627-637
- Rex, DK, Johnson, DA, Anderson, JC (2009) American College of Gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening 2008. Am J Gastroenterology 104: pp. 739-750 CrossRef
- Atkin, W, Edwards, R, Kralj-Hans, I (2010) Once-only flexible sigmoidoscopy screening in the prevention of colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 375: pp. 1624-1633 CrossRef
- Kaminski, MF, Regula, J, Kraszewska, E (2010) Quality indicators for colonoscopy and the risk of interval cancer. N Engl J Med 362: pp. 1795-1803 CrossRef
- Early Detection and Screening for Colorectal Neoplasia: Making Sense of the Guidelines
Current Colorectal Cancer Reports
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 177-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 1466, Houston, TX, 77030, USA