Frequency and risk factors associated with emergency medical readmissions in Galway University Hospitals
- J. GormanAffiliated withRegional Health Office, Merlin Park University Hospital
- , A. VellingaAffiliated withDepartment of General Practice, National University of Ireland
- , J. J. GilmartinAffiliated withDepartment of Respiratory Medicine, Merlin Park University Hospital
- , S. T. O’KeeffeAffiliated withDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, Unit 4, Merlin Park University Hospital Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Unplanned readmissions of medical hospital patients have been increasing in recent years. We examined the frequency and associates of emergency medical readmissions to Galway University Hospitals (GUH).
Readmissions during the calendar year 2006 were examined using hospital in-patient enquiry data. Associations with clinical and demographic factors were determined using univariate and multivariate analyses.
The medical emergency readmission rate to GUH, after correction for death during the index admission, was 19.5%. Age 65 years or more, male gender, length of stay more than 7 days and primary diagnoses of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, myocardial infarction, alcohol-related disease and heart failure during the index admission were significantly associated with readmission in univariate and multivariate analyses.
The medical emergency readmission rate in GUH is comparable to other acute hospitals in Ireland and Britain. Further evaluation is needed to estimate the proportion of readmissions that are potentially avoidable.
KeywordsHospital readmission International classification of diseases Chronic diseases
- Frequency and risk factors associated with emergency medical readmissions in Galway University Hospitals
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 179, Issue 2 , pp 255-258
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hospital readmission
- International classification of diseases
- Chronic diseases
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Regional Health Office, Merlin Park University Hospital, HSE West, Galway, Ireland
- 2. Department of General Practice, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
- 3. Department of Respiratory Medicine, Merlin Park University Hospital, Galway, Ireland
- 4. Department of Geriatric Medicine, Unit 4, Merlin Park University Hospital, Galway, Ireland