Friction and wear reduction via an Ni-B electroless bath coating for metal alloys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Improvements to an Ni-(5–6 wt.%)B coating have resulted in exceptional hardness and wear resistance that meet or exceed many of the performance standards set by hard chromium. Currently, no other bath plating technologies offer properties competitive with hard chromium, including electroless nickel-phosphorous derivatives and older versions of Ni-B. In this article, the improved Ni-B is discussed in terms of microstructural features, performance properties, coating methodology, and applications.
- Brooman, E. (2004) Wear Behavior of Environmentally Acceptable Alternatives to Chromium Coatings: Nickel-Based Candidates. Metal Finishing 102: pp. 75-82 CrossRef
- E. McComas, U.S. patent 4,833,041.
- T. Gaevskaya, I. Novotortseva, and L. Tsybulskaya, “The Effect of Boron on the Microstructure and Properties of Electrodeposited Nickel Films,” Metal Finishing (June 1996), pp. 100–103.
- Panissod, P., Bakonyi, I., Hasegawa, R. (1983) NMR Study of the Boron Coordination in Ni100-xBx Metallic Glass. J. Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 31–34: pp. 1523-1524 CrossRef
- Delaunois, F., Lienard, P. (2002) Heat Treatments for Electroless Nickel-Boron Plating on Aluminum Alloys. Surface and Coatings Technology 160: pp. 239-248 CrossRef
- Kumar, P., Nair, P. (1994) X-ray Diffraction Studies on the Relative Proportion and Decomposition of Amorphous Phase in Electroless Ni-B Deposits. Nanostructured Materials 4: pp. 183-198 CrossRef
- Narayanan, T., Seshadri, S. (2004) Formation and Characterization of Borohydride Reduced Electroless Nickel Deposits. J. Alloys and Compounds 365: pp. 197-205 CrossRef
- Devros, C., Novakovic, J., Vassiliou, P. (2004) Vacuum Heat Treatment of Electroless Ni-B Coatings. Materials Letters 58: pp. 619-623 CrossRef
- Delaunois, F. (2000) Autocatalytic Electroless Nickel-Boron Plating on Light Alloys. Surface and Coating Technology 124: pp. 201-209 CrossRef
- Gawrilov, G. (1979) Chemical (Electroless) Nickel Plating. Portcullis Press, Surrey
- Technical information about electroless of chemical nickel plating by the Nibodur method, Paul Anke, Essen, West Germany.
- Mathiselvam, M., Sivasankar, B., Narayanan, T. (2002) Proceedings of the Interfinish-2002, Section VII: Electroless Nickel. Metal Finisher’s Association of India, Mumbai, India
- Duncan, R., Arney, T. (1984) Plat. Surf. Finish. 71: pp. 49-49
- Friction and wear reduction via an Ni-B electroless bath coating for metal alloys
Volume 57, Issue 4 , pp 40-45
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors