Seismic analysis of diagrid structural frames with shear-link fuse devices
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents a new concept for enhancing the seismic ductility and damping capacity of diagrid structural frames by using shear-link fuse devices and its seismic performance is assessed through nonlinear static and dynamic analysis. The architectural elegancy of the diagrid structure attributed to its triangular leaning member configuration and high structural redundancy make this system a desirable choice for tall building design. However, forming a stable energy dissipation mechanism in diagrid framing remains to be investigated to expand its use in regions with high seismicity. To address this issue, a diagrid framing design is proposed here which provides a competitive design option in highly seismic regions through its increased ductility and improved energy dissipation capacity provided by replaceable shear links interconnecting the diagonal members at their ends. The structural characteristics and seismic behavior (capacity, stiffness, energy dissipation, ductility) of the diagrid structural frame are demonstrated with a 21-story building diagrid frame subjected to nonlinear static and dynamic analysis. The findings from the nonlinear time history analysis verify that satisfactory seismic performance can be achieved by the proposed diagrid frame subjected to design basis earthquakes in California. In particular, one appealing feature of the proposed diagrid building is its reduced residual displacement after strong earthquakes.
- AISC (2005), “Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings,” ANSI/AISC 341-05, Chicago, IL.
- ASCE (2010), “Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures,” ASCE/SEI 7-10/ANSI, Reston, Va.
- Hjelmstad KD and Popov EP (1983), “Cyclic Behavior and Design of Link Beams,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 109(10): 2387–2403. CrossRef
- Kasai K and Popov EP (1986), “General Behavior of WF Steel Shear Link Beams,” Struct. Eng., ASCE, 112(2): 362–382. CrossRef
- Kim J and Lee YH (2009), “Progressive Collapse Resisting Capacity of Tube-type Structures,” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 10: 1002/tal.512.
- Kim YJ, Jung IY, Ju Y-K, Park SJ and Kim SD (2011), “Cyclic Behavior of Diagrid Nodes with H-section Braces,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(9): 1111–1122. CrossRef
- Leonard J (2007), “Investigation of Shear Lag Effect in High-rise Buildings with Diagrid System,” M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Li L, Zhao X and Ke K (2011), “Static Behavior of Planar Intersecting CFST Connection in Diagrid Structure,” Frontiers of Architecture and Civil Engineering in China, 5(3): 355–365. CrossRef
- Mansour N, Shen Y, Christopoulos C and Tremblay R (2008), “Seismic Design of EBF Steel Frames Using Replaceable Nonlinear Links,” Proc. 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Mazzoni S, McKenna F, Scott MH and Fenves GL (2009), The Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (OpenSEES) User Command-Language Manual, Pacific Earthquake Eng. Research Center, Univ. Calif., Berkeley, CA, (http://opensees.berkeley.edu).
- McKenna FT (1997), “Object-oriented Finite Element Programming: Frameworks for Analysis, Algorithms and Parallel Computing,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, CA, United States, 1997.
- Menegotto M and Pinto PE (1973), “Method of Analysis of Cyclically Loaded RC Plane Frames Including Changes in Geometry and Non-elastic Behavior of Elements under Normal Force and Bending, Preliminary Report,” IABSE, Vol. 13, pp. 15–22.
- Moon K-S, Connor JJ and Fernandez JE (2007), “Diagrid Structural Systems for Tall Buildings: Characteristics and Methodology for Preliminary Design,” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 16: 205–230. CrossRef
- Okazaki T, Arce G, Ryu H-C and Engelhardt MD (2005), “Experimental Study of Local Buckling, Overstrength, and Fracture of Links in Eccentrically Braced Frames,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 131(10): 1526–1535. CrossRef
- Okazaki T and Engelhardt MD (2007), “Cyclic Loading Behavior of EBF Links Constructed of ASTM A992 steel,” J. of Construction Steel Research., 63: 751–765. CrossRef
- Okazaki T, Engelhardt MD, Nakashima M and Suita K (2006), “Experimental Performance of Link-to-column Connections in Eccentrically Braced Frames,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 132(8): 1201–1211. CrossRef
- Rahimian A and Eilon Y (2007), “Something Old, Something New,” Modern Steel Construction, AISC, April 2007.
- Ramadan T and Ghobarah A (1995), “Analytical Model for Shear-link Behavior,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 121(11): 1574–1580. CrossRef
- Richards PW (2004), “Cyclic Stability and Capacity Design of Steel Eccentrically Braced Frames,” Doctoral dissertation, Univ. of California, San Diego.
- Richards PW and Uang C-M (2005), “Effect of Flange Width Thickness Ratio on Eccentrically Braced Frame Link Cyclic Rotation Capacity,” J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 131(10): 1546–1552. CrossRef
- Ricles JM and Popov EP (1987), “Dynamic Analysis of Seismically Resistant Eccentrically Braced Frames,” Rep. No.VCBIEERC-87107, Earthquake Engrg. Res. Ctr., Univ. of California, Berkeley, Calif.
- Somerville P, Smith N, Punyamurthula S and Sun J (1997), “Development of Ground Motion Time Histories for Phase 2 of the FEMA/SAC Steel Project,” SAC/BD-97/04, SAC Joint Venture, Sacramento, CA.
- Taranath B (1997), Steel, Concrete, & Composite Design of Tall Buildings, McGraw-Hill, Second Edition.
- Teng J, Guo W, Rong B and Li Z (2011), “Seismic Performance Research of High-rise Diagrid Tube-core Tube Structures,” Advanced Materials Research, 163–167, 2005–2012.
- Zareian F and Medina RA (2010), “A Practical Method for Proper Modeling of Structural Damping in Inelastic Plane Structural Systems,” Computers & Structures, 88(1–2): 45–53. CrossRef
- Seismic analysis of diagrid structural frames with shear-link fuse devices
Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 463-472
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- diagrid structure
- nonlinear analysis
- seismic behavior
- shear link
- steel structure