Seismic analysis of diagrid structural frames with shear-link fuse devices
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a new concept for enhancing the seismic ductility and damping capacity of diagrid structural frames by using shear-link fuse devices and its seismic performance is assessed through nonlinear static and dynamic analysis. The architectural elegancy of the diagrid structure attributed to its triangular leaning member configuration and high structural redundancy make this system a desirable choice for tall building design. However, forming a stable energy dissipation mechanism in diagrid framing remains to be investigated to expand its use in regions with high seismicity. To address this issue, a diagrid framing design is proposed here which provides a competitive design option in highly seismic regions through its increased ductility and improved energy dissipation capacity provided by replaceable shear links interconnecting the diagonal members at their ends. The structural characteristics and seismic behavior (capacity, stiffness, energy dissipation, ductility) of the diagrid structural frame are demonstrated with a 21-story building diagrid frame subjected to nonlinear static and dynamic analysis. The findings from the nonlinear time history analysis verify that satisfactory seismic performance can be achieved by the proposed diagrid frame subjected to design basis earthquakes in California. In particular, one appealing feature of the proposed diagrid building is its reduced residual displacement after strong earthquakes.
- Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings. ANSI/AISC 341-05.
- Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. ASCE/SEI 7-10/ANSI.
- Hjelmstad, KD, Popov, EP (1983) Cyclic Behavior and Design of Link Beams. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 109: pp. 2387-2403 CrossRef
- Kasai, K, Popov, EP (1986) General Behavior of WF Steel Shear Link Beams. Struct. Eng., ASCE 112: pp. 362-382 CrossRef
- Kim J and Lee YH (2009), “Progressive Collapse Resisting Capacity of Tube-type Structures,” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 10: 1002/tal.512.
- Kim, YJ, Jung, IY, Ju, Y-K, Park, SJ, Kim, SD (2011) Cyclic Behavior of Diagrid Nodes with H-section Braces. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 136: pp. 1111-1122 CrossRef
- Leonard, J (2007) Investigation of Shear Lag Effect in High-rise Buildings with Diagrid System.
- Li, L, Zhao, X, Ke, K (2011) Static Behavior of Planar Intersecting CFST Connection in Diagrid Structure. Frontiers of Architecture and Civil Engineering in China 5: pp. 355-365 CrossRef
- Mansour, N, Shen, Y, Christopoulos, C, Tremblay, R (2008) Seismic Design of EBF Steel Frames Using Replaceable Nonlinear Links. Proc. 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Mazzoni, S, McKenna, F, Scott, MH, Fenves, GL (2009) The Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (OpenSEES) User Command-Language Manual. Pacific Earthquake Eng. Research Center, Univ. Calif., Berkeley, CA
- McKenna, F 1 (1997) Object-oriented Finite Element Programming: Frameworks for Analysis, Algorithms and Parallel Computing. University of California, Berkeley, CA, United States
- Menegotto, M, Pinto, PE (1973) Method of Analysis of Cyclically Loaded RC Plane Frames Including Changes in Geometry and Non-elastic Behavior of Elements under Normal Force and Bending, Preliminary Report. IABSE 13: pp. 15-22
- Moon, K-S, Connor, JJ, Fernandez, JE (2007) Diagrid Structural Systems for Tall Buildings: Characteristics and Methodology for Preliminary Design. The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings 16: pp. 205-230 CrossRef
- Okazaki, T, Arce, G, Ryu, H-C, Engelhardt, MD (2005) Experimental Study of Local Buckling, Overstrength, and Fracture of Links in Eccentrically Braced Frames. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 131: pp. 1526-1535 CrossRef
- Okazaki, T, Engelhardt, MD (2007) Cyclic Loading Behavior of EBF Links Constructed of ASTM A992 steel. J. of Construction Steel Research. 63: pp. 751-765 CrossRef
- Okazaki, T, Engelhardt, MD, Nakashima, M, Suita, K (2006) Experimental Performance of Link-to-column Connections in Eccentrically Braced Frames. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 132: pp. 1201-1211 CrossRef
- Rahimian, A, Eilon, Y (2007) Something Old, Something New. Modern Steel Construction, AISC. pp. April 2007
- Ramadan, T, Ghobarah, A (1995) Analytical Model for Shear-link Behavior. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 121: pp. 1574-1580 CrossRef
- Richards, PW (2004) Cyclic Stability and Capacity Design of Steel Eccentrically Braced Frames. Univ. of California, San Diego
- Richards, PW, Uang, C-M (2005) Effect of Flange Width Thickness Ratio on Eccentrically Braced Frame Link Cyclic Rotation Capacity. J. Struct. Eng., ASCE 131: pp. 1546-1552 CrossRef
- Ricles, JM, Popov, EP (1987) Dynamic Analysis of Seismically Resistant Eccentrically Braced Frames. Earthquake Engrg. Res. Ctr., Univ. of California, Berkeley, Calif.
- Somerville, P, Smith, N, Punyamurthula, S, Sun, J (1997) Development of Ground Motion Time Histories for Phase 2 of the FEMA/SAC Steel Project. SAC Joint Venture, Sacramento, CA
- Taranath, B (1997) Steel, Concrete, & Composite Design of Tall Buildings.
- Teng, J, Guo, W, Rong, B, Li, Z (2011) Seismic Performance Research of High-rise Diagrid Tube-core Tube Structures. Advanced Materials Research 163–167: pp. 2005-2012
- Zareian, F, Medina, RA (2010) A Practical Method for Proper Modeling of Structural Damping in Inelastic Plane Structural Systems. Computers & Structures 88: pp. 45-53 CrossRef
- Seismic analysis of diagrid structural frames with shear-link fuse devices
Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 463-472
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- diagrid structure
- nonlinear analysis
- seismic behavior
- shear link
- steel structure
- Industry Sectors