Extraction of real modes and physical matrices from modal testing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A technique to extract real modes from the identified complex modes is presented in this paper, which enables the normalized real mode shapes, modal masses, and full or reduced mass and stiffness matrices to be obtained. The theoretical derivation of the method is provided in detail. An 11-DOF vibration system is used to validate the algorithm, and to analyze the effects of the number of modes utilized and measurement DOFs on the extraction results. Finally, the method is used to extract real modes from both experimental modal analysis and operational modal analysis.
- Chen KF and Jiao QY (2004), “On the Redundancy of Complex Modal Parameters,” Chinese Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 25(12): 1292–1297.
- Chen SY, Ju MS and Tsuei YG (1996), “Extraction of Normal Modes for Highly Coupled Incomplete Systems with General Damping,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 10(1): 93–105. CrossRef
- Fuellekrug U (2008), “Computation of Real Normal Modes from Complex Eigenvectors,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22(1): 57–65. CrossRef
- Ibrahim SR (1983), “Computation of Normal Modes from Identified Complex Modes,” AIAA Journal, 21(3): 446–451. CrossRef
- Shih CY, Tsuei YG, Allemang RJ and Brown DL (1988). “A Frequency Domain Global Parameter Estimation Method for Multiple Reference Frequency Response Measurements,” Mechanical System and Signal Processing, 2(4): 349–365. CrossRef
- Shih CY, Tsuei YG, Allemang RJ and Brown DL (1989), “Complex Mode Indication Function and Its Applications to Spatial Domain Parameter Estimation,” Proceeding of the 7th IMAC, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Wang T and Zhang LM (2003), “Modal Identification with Frequency Response Function Based on Rational Fraction Orthogonal Polynomials,” Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 24(2): 140–143.
- Wang T, Zhang LM and Tamura Y (2005), “An Operational Modal Analysis Method in Frequency and Spatial Domain,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 4(2): 295–300. CrossRef
- Zhang LM, Tamura Y and Yoshida A (2004), “Experimental Modeling of Middle-rise Building via Ambient Modal Identification,” Transactions of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 21(2): 81–87.
- Extraction of real modes and physical matrices from modal testing
Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 219-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Institute of Engineering Mechanics, China Earthquake Administration
- Additional Links
- modal analysis
- complex mode
- real mode
- normalized mode shape
- modal mass
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. MOE Key Lab of Structural Mechanics and Control for Aircraft, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, 210016, China
- 3. Institute of Vibration Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 29 Yudao Street, Nanjing, 210016, China
- 2. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Greenwich, Greenwich, UK